1/72 Italeri Dornier Do 20T

StephenCJ

Now that the Stuka is finished it is time to start this box of joy.

First problem that I have come across it the interior colour (color). I'm thinking it is silver / aluminium. Vegemite toast time. That is better Vegemite toast and a cup of tea. The instructions tell me it is RLM 02.

Do-24_p027.jpg

Do-24_p007.jpg

More pictures can be found here: http://www.dornier24.com/

If anybody has a different idea on the colour I would like to hear your opinion.

Thanks for looking

Stephen

Here are the Aussie Decals. They are a little larger than 1:1.

aussie-decals.jpg

Will have to start on this today.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

Suitably austere as I find most Aussie decals inclusions seem to be LOL

Have a great time with this build Stephen.

Cheers

The museum would be here: www.nmm.nl/ Not much good I'm afraid, as there seems to be no access to their collection. This is the Dornier on the decalsheet:

SDC10888.jpg

[image: modelbouwforum.nl/ Bart83]

Isn't it just written in Dutch (not my favorite language but I manage) that it is not open to the public for a few days in March?

Now that the Stuka is finished it is time to start this box of joy.

First problem that I have come across it the interior colour (color). I'm thinking it is silver / aluminium. Vegemite toast time. That is better Vegemite toast and a cup of tea. The instructions tell me it is RLM 02.

More pictures can be found here: http://www.dornier24.com/

If anybody has a different idea on the colour I would like to hear your opinion.

Thanks for looking

Stephen

Dutch Dornier 24s were finished in silver on the inside.

• Like 1

Hello,

Michael Ullmann in his german edition of his book about the Luftwaffe colours give for the Do 24 K with date from 4.Oct. 1937 a coat of DKH Ölgrund grün L40/41 as a primer with the 2. coat as DKH Nitrodecklack Silber L40/51. I am not 100% sure, but I remember to read somewere that the floor was coverd with Linoleum.

A word to the beaching trolly on my modell. This is a pure product of my fantasy. I think the Dutch have lost such equipment on there return to Australia. So the australiens must be done some improvisations for beaching the Dorniers. It is made from same plastic profiles and wood. The wheels are from a Hasegawa Mavis and spare.

My knowledge about the mistakes on the modell are from an article in the old german Modell Magazin No.12-1978 and No.1-1979, done by Karl Kössler. He checked the Italeri modell against some original dokuments and drawings.

Claus

http://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/nein24.htm

this link may be also some help

Edited by cdk
  • Like 2

The reissued kit was marketed as 'upgraded and enhanced'. There is a new sprue (D) containing an excellent detailed cockpit, mooring bollards, etc. as seen above and the surface detail is nicely restrained. However, all the original inaccuracies remain, even for a Do24T. The first criterion when discussing the accuracy of a model is to ensure that the reference material is accurate. There are numerous drawings for the Do24K and three sets were found to be very close indeed. Two sets were probably of Dutch origin, one being highly detailed and appeared to be a scaled down copy of a large factory drawing. The third set appears in the Frog book and had the model been proceeded with, there would be no reason for this discussion to be taking place.

The conversion to the Cyclone engines is easy. The BMW cowlings are near enough and only need shortening to a length of 11 mm. The nacelle section ahead of the wing needs extending by 3 mm. Cut the protruding section off at the wing leading edge and sandwich a 3 mm thick disc in place. On top of the nacelle extension is the oil-cooler outlet. This is not shown in detail on any of the drawings and, to the best of my knowledge, only one photograph. The bump behind the centre nacelle is too large. Cut off, reduce in height slightly and reattach. It is joined to the nacelle with a low connecting fairing. As mentioned above, all three turrets are identical to the bow turret. This turret is not quite correct as it should have a sharply defined tapered section joining the vertical wall and the slightly domed top. The problem with the rear section is that the taper, in plan view, on the kit is continued to the end of the hull whereas it should finish at the elevator hinge line then continue aft parallel. Another error is that the hull side profile from rear step aft is too shallow. The upsweep of the top of the hull to the tailplane should meet at the point of the tailplane. Also the rear step finishes at a knife edge, not rounded as in the kit. The shallowness of the hull could be the reason why the tailplane appears low. The tailplane position does not show up in error on the drawings. Moving to the bow turret, it has been reported that it is 3 mm too far forward. Again, the drawings do not support this, the discrepancy is caused by the cockpit windscreen. It is too straight across and lacks the protruding centre panels. This is probably the most difficult fault to correct without damaging the delicate engraving on the cockpit roof. The sponsons: None of the drawings match the kit and there is slight variation between the drawings. Because of the delicate surface detail, I chose to leave them as is, a case of appearance over accuracy.

There are two schools of thought on RAAF Dornier colours. The first two Dorniers were refurbished at No 2 FBRD, Rathmines and were also used in trials to determine the most effective camouflage for moored flying boats The colours settled on for the top surfaces were Black Blue and Black Grey. The colours were mixed from standard colours in RAAF stocks. Black Blue was most likely the origin for a new colour, Dark Ocean Blue (DOB), later introduced into its inventory This colour is close to US Sea Blue/ Midnight Blue. The Dept Of Air issued drawings for the Dornier calling up DOB and Night for the upper surfaces, a strange combination given that there is little contrast between the colours even at close range. All photos available of Dorniers show that the Night was replaced with EDSG. There is an eye witness account of the first test flight of one of these Dorniers which he describes it as "appearing sinister in its black and grey finish". More likely DOB and grey.

The second school is that the Dorniers were camouflaged in the standard Seaplane Scheme. This is based on interpretation of photos and no documentary evidence or eye witness accounts have yet been found. The remaining Dorniers were refurbished at No1 FBRD, Lake Boga, Maybe they chose the latter scheme but until more evidence comes to light it is yet another mystery.

The RAAF decals in the box were limited to the Australian market. The colours of the code letters on RAAF aircraft, including the Dorniers was RAAF Sky Blue, the same colour as the under surfaces. The decal colours do not match colour chips for RAAF Sky Blue. Also, the serial number should be Medium Sea Grey. The DK decals are correct.

There is a number of photos captioned RAAF but are in fact Dutch Dorniers on a visit to Australia before the war. The Dutch operated Dornier had a different camouflage scheme from the RAAF.

Finally, A49-4, DQ-G had the bow turret replaced with a sliding hatch.

FGH

Edited by fharris
  • Like 3

Thank you Mr. fharris for this interesting and informative post. You have helped a lot. I have decided to get the DK Decals. I made a start on the interior yesterday.

On another story do you know anything about 52 Aussies volunteering to join a USN Black Cat squadron in around '43. My uncle was one of these men, he was stationed in the Gulf at the time.

Thank you for the info.

Stephen

• 1 year later...

Very interesting thread - for me - i am about to build the Netherland Dornier...How is your progress? Was it finished and already on RFI, perhaps?

Cheers

J-W