1/72 Italeri Dornier Do 20T

StephenCJ

Hi folks,

With the near completion of my Stuka and other models being undercoated etc., I thought it time I started something a little larger. There was only going to be one of these kits but a recent trip to Toyworld, there was a Dornier with RAAF decals. I bought it and now I have 2 to build. One will be Dutch and the other RAAF. I don't know how I am going to get the Dutch decals, though. I might have to learn to make my own.

box.jpg

Decals and some PE

decals.jpg

clear.jpg

sprue-2.jpg

sprue-3.jpg

sprue-4.jpg

I forgot to photograph the RAAF decal sheet will do that with the next update.

On the box it says fully upgraded moulds, does that mean that there is no requirement to purchase the AIMS PE set. I don't really want to as 2 sets will cost 40 pounds about $80 AUD. It is about time I learnt to scratch build some parts.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 3

Stephen,

I am not sure how accurate you want the RAAF one to look like but out of the box (even with the revised moulds) it does not build a RAAF version, there are a lot of mods required starting with replacing the engines and nacelles.

if you can get your hands on the Model Art magazine, Fred Harris did a 2 part review and build of the kit a few months back to bring it up to RAAF standard. I can scan the article if you want.

• Like 2

Ray

If you could scan the articles I would be very grateful. I know about the engines and nacelles and a few other areas that are not quite correct. The paint scheme that is supplied with the kit does not match what I have found on the internet.

I have a few ideas going through my mind of building some sort of beaching trolley. We would of had to get them on dry land as they we in a pretty sad condition when we got them. The dutch one would be very similar as we got theirs.

Stephen

Good luck Steven! This is going to be awesome!!!

What a great kit.

Cant wait to see the progress..

What's happening with the Stuka?.....I better go do a little digging on BM I think LOL :thumbsup:

Go for it mate..

God bless Toyworld! :coolio: HA HA!

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

That looks like a very nice kit of IMHO the most beautiful flying boat ever. If only I had enough shelf space... I do have a set of Dutch markings lying about you'd be welcome to, although they are for a Do-24K (X-24, on exhibition in the Dutch Museum of Military History).

• Like 1

You can find at least one Dutch Do-24 scheme on the recently released DK decal sheet (see preview here https://www.scalemates.com/kits/352893-dk-decals-72005-do-24-catalina)in addition to some Australian ones. You could also try getting sheet FD-72-023 "Royal Netherlands Navy Over The Dutch East Indies 1939-1942" here http://www.flevodecals.net/winkel.php?catid=5. The DK decal sheet provides a late option; the Flevo decal sheet is of earlier aircraft, featuring the orange triangle as the national insignia.

• Like 1

Thank you dukdalf and elger. I am building 2 Do-24Ks. We got ours from the Dutch and used them for a few years delivering cargo to New Guinea in WWII. Hannants have both sets. Dukdalf I have been looking for those decals from the museum and haven't, for that matter I can't find the Dutch Museum of Military History. Thank you very much for your offer.

Stephen

It should be pointed out that this Dornier in the NMM is actually a Do-24 T (with BMW engines) and not a Do-24 K (with Wright Cyclones) as used by the Dutch and later the Australians. I believe the Do-24 in the museum is actually a restored composite of 2 airframes operated by German forces during ww2 and is on loan from the IWM.

• Like 1

Since it doesn't look like you're too far along, take a close look at the cockpit canopy fit to the fuselage. In the original issue, the canopy was a little too wide for a flush fit on the fuselage. A reasonably easy fix, you just need to add plastic sheet spacers to widen the upper fuselage a tad. Maybe they fixed it, but like my Dad always said, "Measure twice, cut once"...

• Like 2

And another thing that's potentially worth keeping in mind is that the first Dutch Do-24Ks had 3 identical turrets - they were all the kind that's featured only as the front one by the Italeri kit. Later ones (at least from X-24 onward) still had identical front and rear turrets, but the middle one was much larger and fitted with a cannon, as featured on the kit. Although the front turret has the right shape, it should be lowered a bit.

In other words, the front turret supplied in the kit is the type that should also be fitted to the rear (as well as the middle one for the early examples). The trouble is that (apart from not supplying two front turrets) the tail actually isn't wide enough. This could be fixed quite easily by adding some styrene as a spacer.

You also might want to look at the differences between the type and position of the landing lights in the T and K variant.

• Like 1

Byron was your dad a carpenter? I have also learnt to measure twice and cut once. sometimes I get a little too cocky.

This is going to be a very interesting build. I will need to make a vac forming device.

Thank you fellow Britmodellers for all you help.

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ

Good luck with this one Stephen.

Great choice in ac, this and the cat have to be up there as my favourite boat plane's followed by the Sunderland.

You have picked some Great and different subjects, Looking forward to your progess!

Edited by rob85

Byron was your dad a carpenter? I have also learnt to measure twice and cut once. sometimes I get a little too cocky.

This is going to be a very interesting build. I will need to make a vac forming device.

Thank you fellow Britmodellers for all you help.

Stephen

He was a mailman, actually. But also something of a jack-of-all-trades - he could a little of pretty much anything. A typical Depression-era kid….

photo2-vi.jpgphoto-vi.jpgK1_A494_DQG_mod006-vi.jpgHello Stephen,

some years back I was also doing a RAAF Dornier. The Italeri Kit has some mistakes that will be corrected for all versions. The front turret must be moved 3 mm back, the Flossenstummel, the little wings on the waterline, I don't know the english word, must be 2 mm thicker and then bring to shape, the tailend must be widend by 1,5 mm to fit the turret and the complet tailplane is set 2 mm higher. Also the double fin and rudders are to small and must be corrected. The rescue hatches for for the T version are on the wrong place and must only on the left side in flight direction. The bulleyes must be a little higher and the missing entry hatch willalso scatch built. The engine mounts are also 2 mm too short. Also are missing the external reinforcing stipes and other small items. The flap hinges are a little to small. The ailerons must be corrected to look moore like the "Spaltklappen".

To built a Dutch/RAAF Dornier we must also built a new cowling, the fairing from the middle engine on top of the wing must go more far back and we have 2 landing lights. The Dutch also can have some bomb racks. For the verion with 3 identicel ALCAN turrets the opening for the middle one must be reduced in diameter.

Reading all that you will be give up before starting. But most corrections are not a big task and the endresult is in every way a big improvment over the original kit.

I have built my Modell from an original first edition. Your Edition have a much better interior. If the hatches on the cockpit are closed, you will see not so many from it.

Hope images bive you some impression.

Claus

K1_A494_DQG_mod005-vi.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks Claus,

Thank you for the pictures and info. I intend to open some hatches.

I like your beaching trolley. No, the beaching trolley is superb, for that matter the whole model is superb.

The more I look into this aircraft the more confused I become.

Thank you for sharing.

Stephen