Mixing paints in small quantities

Teejayw

Hi,

This is probably a stupid newbie question, but here goes :-)

I've got my first kit, the Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk 1 and the relevant Tamiya paints. In the instructions it has things like XF-1:1 + XF52:5 + XF64:5 which I presume means I need to mix the 3 paints in the ratio of 1:5:5. If that's correct, what's the easiest way to measure out very small quantities of paint to get them in the correct ratio?

See, told you it was a stupid question ;-)

Try a 1ml plastic disposable syringe (available on ebay). You can measure/dispense fractions of a milliliter, which I guess is what you want. 0.5ml of onecolour, 0.5ml of the second, 0.1ml of the third. Personally, I'd go 1, 1, 0.2ml and make sure I have enough to do the job on a single mix. See, e.g.:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INDIVIDUALLY-SEALED-TROJE-1ML-Quality-Sterile-Plastic-Syringe-Syringes-Syringe-/301294146933?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Medical_Supplies_Disposables_ET&var=&hash=item462687d575

ETA: Darby's reply must have crossed over mine, with the same idea!

Edited by Mitch K

Thanks, got to pick up a prescription tomorrow so I'll see if I can scrounge some.

Pretty obvious solution really, having a bit of a brain fade tonight ;-)

I usually use a drop of paint as my measure, from a disposable pipette (5 drops, 5 drops and 1 drop in this case). I suppose it's not as accurate as using a graduated syringe but I won't lose any sleep over it. As the saying goes "it's close enough for government work"

Cheers,

Billy :)

If you're going to be in the drugstore have a look in the baby needs aisle. I've seen graduated syringes there, meant for measuring small quantities of liquid meds. Mine has them in blister packs.

Edited by RJP

Find out what paint colour you're trying to replicate and buy a manufacturers jar that doesn't need mixing.

Or carefully tip the jar so one drop comes out at a time and do it by eye.

You didn't state how you're applying the paint but be warned tamiya can be a difficult paint to apply by brush.