Nostalgia - a boy's bedroom ceiling

Brilliant! My ceiling was like this in the early 60's!! (Yea, I know, I'm old!!) It was covered in aircraft of all types, mainly WWII airfix, with a sprinkling of Frog kits. It remained this way for a number of years, until my friend came to stay!!

Being boy's, of course we couldn't sleep, so we took great pleasure in getting our elastic band catapults (remember them!) along with some suitably folded paper pellets and took great pleasure in seeing how many pieces we could knock off, or even better, shoot them off the ceiling altogether! When we had finally shot them all down, we decided to go to sleep. What a great way to make us tired.

Not so great the next morning when my mum came in the bedroom, the floor looked like a bombing raid had just taken place! Another favourite was putting penny firework bangers in the fuselages and blowing them to pieces. Happy days.

How my attitude to modelling has changed from then! (see photo). Anyway, must be going, I need a tissue to wipe this tear from my eye........

001-9.jpg

• Like 3

These are what my Grandfather made during the war.

These are over 70 years old now. He made other aircraft, including a Lancaster bomber & Sunderland flying boat. I never got to see them.

I was told he had quite a few in his collection. I believe he used plans, but Im not 100% sure.

When I lived with him, we used to have a Lancaster on top of the washing line pole as a weathervane.

27FC36DD-F4AF-4F93-9064-43986F5678AF_zps

• Like 6

Absolutely brilliant, I wish I had taken photos of my ceiling when they were all hanging from there.

Mum and dad used to say if I hung anymore the ceiling would collapse!

I remember once waking up having just taken a 1/48 Monogram Tomcat to the face - string had snapped and she'd entered a flat spin lol!

• Like 1

My bedroom ceiling was much the same as the other photos until we moved house in 1996 when my models were placed in a box.

A couple of weeks ago I unpacked that box. Most have a small amount of damage but nothing too major.

2015-02-04214527_zps675d2736.jpg

Unfortunately they've now been relagated to the shed ceiling :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

No pictures, but like everyone else a lot of memories coming back. Of what I can remember being up there I had a Gulf War Tornado, Jaguar and Buccaneer, an EF-111, F-16, Red Arrows Gnat and a BAE Strikemaster for the jets and a Spitfire, Hurricane Mk IID, Hawker Tempest, Junkers 88, B-25 Mitchell and a Vought Corsair for the WW2 stuff. And I have just remembered a Bulldog and a Shorts Tucano.

All now lost after the parents moved house. So inconsiderate of them.

Edited by Stosh65

Years ago I had planes hanging from my ceiling, the centrepiece of which was an Airfix He111 H6 torpedo bomber complete with my thumbprint on the sky blue underside.

This Was the first kit me and my dad, well dad actually, built sitting round a table on a rainy Sunday afternoon and so it started.

Fast forward 30 odd years and on the subject of star wars wallpaper, My twin boys have a bedroom at my house (divorced :-( ) which was decorated with the planes we built hanging from the ceiling and these pictures which were painted using an ovehead projector (remember them).

Having traced a picture onto acetate then projected onto the wall re drew the lines with pencil then painted again

DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0373.jpg

DSC_0372.jpg

The planes were only removed 6 years ago and the pictures painted over.

• Like 7

This really does bring back memories by the bucket load. I too had a bedroom ceiling full of models, back in the 80s, hanging from cotton, later fishing line, in all kinds of insane positions. I remember painting the ceiling pale blue, with big white dots, though not exactly sure why. Still, mum and dad didnt seem to mind.

Some that come to mind include a Monogram B36 and B52 (had to resort to proper hooks for those two, drawing pins wouldnt take the weight), assorted Airfix Spitfires, Me109s and Hurricanes, as well as a 1/32nd Bell JetRanger in Treasure Hunt markings (remember that TV series?).

Got quite a few pics somewhere, must find them and work out how to post images on here.

• Like 1

What a great scene and wonderful aircraft models. Talk about bringing back good memories from the past !

In the late 1950's and early 1960's, my room was decorated like that, too. Plenty of model aircraft on wires across the ceiling and battleships, cars and tanks on the dresser. The wallpaper on one wall was of a giant circular space station with winged rocketships around it, with the moon and Saturn above and part of the Earth below !

Mike

• Like 1

Looking good bristol out of interest which ships crests are those look like RFAs to me

RFA Regent and RFA Fort George. My Dads (their Granddads) old ships. They were just sitting in my folks loft gathering dust so I rescued them.

J

Wow ,that brings back memories ,I use to have all sorts hanging fom my bedroom ceiling :)

When I was in the Royal Observer Corps we had our own hut ,and it had lots of models hanging from the ceiling ,most were wooden ,one was a B-52 that one day came down ,I am glad I wasn't sat underneath it!!

This is part of my boys ceiling.

Their room has become my storage zone.

isn't that just so cool though. every kid should experience this. the more planes the better. reminds me of the old Beaties toy shops, they used to have this sort of thing over their model section.

about two years back, before we moved house, i used to have a few in the corner of our bedroom. used to chop and change from time to time...

a10003-001_zpsb7c2c537.jpg

LANC005_zpsd05cb316.jpg

• Like 2

When I was very young 1960 to around 1968 my Dad built models on a Saturday afternoon we'd bought from Sid Sharrocks model shop on Cockpit Hill in Derby and by Sunday teatime they would be painted and finished and on my ceiling. I had 28 in all and I can still remember each one by name. Back in those days GP's did home visits and as a sickly child I saw Dr Skinner from Stanley quite a lot! Every time he would visit he would ask me the names of the new models on my ceiling.

Halibag%201963.jpg

Here is me inspecting the newly released Airfix Halifax on Christmas Day 1963, Happy Days.

Over the years I gradually broke them and they sadly got thrown away when we moved house in 1971.

I started building kits myself from about 8 onwards and when we moved in 71 I shared a bedroom with my younger brother and hung my completed masterpieces from our bedroom ceiling just as Dad had done for me. Here's the ceiling circa 1977. By this time I was in my second year in the RAF and would bring my completed models I had built in the block home, to be admired by my brother and hung on the ceiling.

Here's a picture taken with a really poor quality 110 camera remeber those, How many can you identify?

Bedromm1977.jpg

When at home on leave I would build kits at the desk in the bedroom including Control Line Keil Kraft flyers as I had now graduated to flying models.

Bedroom%20Desk%201977.jpg

I was also into David Bowie by then!

Cheers

Ian

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

This really brings back memories i remember having the 1.24 spitfire and 109 on the ceiling at one time. Wished i had the build time now that i did then.

Edited by Thomas Burns

What a great thread! It's genuinely bringing back some memories of that time when a kit could be finished within hours of starting to badger my grandad to take me to George Biddle's hardware shop in Baddeley Green. It was one of those shops that stocked one off of just about any household item, and a small selection of Airfix kits.

I vividly remember the 1/72 B-17 in silver plastic and a Lancaster that had been in George's window so long the box art was very faded. Such is the effect of this thread, that although I haven't visited that shop in nearly 40 years (it's long gone) I can picture George's face, and smell the interior of the shop!

I'm sure I've got a picture of me aged about 5 dwarfed by a 1/72 C-130 in tan plastic, must do some digging later.

• Like 3

It's my dad's 70th today. I was putting together a scrapbook of old photos for him when I came across this photo of my bedroom ceiling in 1983! tn_ceiling%2B1983.jpg Empire Strikes Back wallpaper was something you actually put on your wall back then, rather than your computer screen! Been trying to identify some of the subjects! There's the Revell 1/48 CH-53, Tamiya 1/48 F-15, and Revell 1/144 NASA Shuttle carrier 747. If you look closely in the centre of the picture, the Airfix 1/72 Dornier 217 is posed in a bail-out scene! I remember making bullet holes in it with a heated needle! The Harrier is 1/32 (kit unknown) but painted as a Sea Harrier (this was just after the Falklands War which my dad was part of). But it gave me that warm fuzzy feeling to see it again (we left that house behind in 1985 and most of these were given away or chucked out). Has anyone else got some nostalgic photos to share? Al

No photos to share, I'm afraid-but.......... Boy have you taken me back nearly 40 years!!!! I'd only been thinking today of where I used to buy kits as a budding modeller. In those days my nearest town was Worksop, which boasted no less than 6 shops selling kits. Happy days!

Cheers for making a few of us oldies smile.

Regards Adrian

• Like 2

Now I'm on to subject, I'd almost forgotten about the shop in the village I grew up in. I was on heaven as the news agent stocked Airfix!!!!

With the shops I'd mentioned previously I should add Woolies as well. Sadly they have all but gone. If I may be so bold anyone who reads this from the Worksop area there was;-

Russell's models- generally anything.

G.R. Nutbrown's - airfix and Frog.

Geoffrey Allison's - a bit of a mix

Ford's - Matchbox

W.h.Smiths - Revell

Woolies - Airfix

Lord how time flies!!!!

Adrian

Great stuff Al..memories indeed, no photos sadly but I do remember having all three Frog V-Bombers hanging there along with a then new 1/32nd Revell F-4J and Hasegawa F-86, Otaki Galaxy, Revell's ancient 'S' box Hustler and B-52, Lindberg XB-70, Airfix Stirling and Halifax among many others.....I liked the more exotic stuff even back then, not sure what young lads would make of it now though ! As for shops we had one where I lived but it stocked everything and 4 more in St Albans itself..happy days, saturday mornings and pocket money.

• Like 1