Nostalgia - a boy's bedroom ceiling

I was putting together a scrapbook of old photos for my dad's birthday this week when I came across this photo of my bedroom ceiling in 1983!

tn_ceiling%2B1983.jpg

Empire Strikes Back wallpaper was something you actually put on your wall back then, rather than your computer screen.

Been trying to identify some of the subjects: there's the Revell 1/48 CH-53, Tamiya 1/48 F-15, and Revell 1/144 NASA Shuttle carrier 747. If you look closely in the centre of the picture, the Airfix 1/72 Dornier 217 is posed in a bail-out scene! I remember making bullet holes in it with a heated needle. Behind it in the corner is a Revell 1/48 Hornet in demonstrator colours. The Harrier is 1/32 (kit unknown*) but painted as a Sea Harrier (this was just after the Falklands War which my dad was part of). Behind it is a Revell 1/48 RAF Phantom, Darth Vader's TIE Fighter (Ertl kit?) and Monogram 1/48 A-7 Corsair, plus assorted 1/72 WW2 aircraft.

I don't remember making every single one of them but it gave me that warm fuzzy feeling to see them again (we left that house behind in 1985 and most of these were given away or chucked out). Also good to know my taste in kits hasn't changed that much in 35 years :lol:

Has anyone else got some nostalgic photos to share?

Al

*It's the Revell 1/32, recently re-released (in 2020)

• Like 50

That is way cool !

Love the wallpaper (and remember it).

I think I can make out two early mk Spitfires, a Wildcat, F4, an F14 and an F18 (maybe). Hurricane perhaps top right of screen?

I am however, concerned that even with the outrageous angle of attack, the NASA 747 is not going to escape Darth Vader in the TIE Advanced X1 fighter.

Awsome.

• Like 2

I am however, concerned that even with the outrageous angle of attack, the NASA 747 is not going to escape Darth Vader in the TIE Advanced X1 fighter.

Nah, he's OK... The Toom has just let off a Sidewinder and is peeling away from the anticipated blast. :)

Edited by pte1643
  • Like 2

Great photo, brings back many memories of trying to get my latest creations hanging just right! Never had wallpaper as cool as yours though! I can though remember having bed covers that had a picture of a spitfires cockpit so you could sit on the bed pretending to fly and shoot down the Luftwaffe! Happy days

FF

• Like 2

Good memories.... I can hear my mother shouting "you'll ruin that ceiling then you'll be sorry!

I wasn't allowed , same reason you were warned about.

• Like 2

It does bring back memories, my ceiling like most of use modellers when we were young had our models hanging from the ceiling gathering dust with cob webs attached, all mine sadly broke and thrown away, I think mine was a bit earlier as I had left school in 1983, so I think I had mine hanging from the ceiling in the late 70's

Memories...

I'm 'converting' the ceiling of 'my office' (a bedroom) to be similar to my boyhood bedroom - covered in 1/72 Airfix.

Now I've also discovered other makes, and my pockets stretch to Valom, even. And tools. Lots of tools. And paint.

The difference between a teenage hobby and a dotage 'passtime' perhaps.

Don't have a picture of the old one (sadly) and shy about the new one (old man sad!)

Good to see we're sticking to our roots. Or ceilings. Whatever.

• Like 3

Yep those were the days when the undersurface of an aircraft was the only thing to be seen and the top never got dusted from one year to the next .

I think that's why a lot of men put mirrors on the ceiling....I think :hmmm:

• Like 5

Now this looks familiar! I do remember A Revell F-4 scale 1/32 hanging from the sealing in my room. And yes, since you could only see the underside of the kit there were wires over the wings for real working nav lights. :fool:

It came down the generations Rob G......My dad wasn't allowed either. Drawing pins were rationed in 1940, I think he said!

I used to hang my Monogram bombers from the ceiling in 1/48. I remember having a B-24, B-17 and B-29 hanging for many years. I also had an old control line Spit that hung for many years too. I had a plaster ceiling but the secret was to screw the hooks into pillars that you could see in light running across the ceiling.

Good times!

Edited by kpc7676

Yes, that is awesome! I had kits hanging on my bedroom ceiling til I left home at 19.

One that I had a particular love of was the Airfix Vulcan that my Dad had built when we lived in Aberdeen, it was beautifully brush painted and finished with the gear down so the nose had been packed with weight. During a move the nose leg was damaged so I carefully removed the remaining gear, closed up the doors and added some Shrike missiles as per the Black Buck ops. The model was then hung on the ceiling with a screw in eye hook and strong fishing line but despite this it was NEVER above the bed.....I was terrified that if it ever came out the ceiling because of the weight, my Mum would find me dead in bed under a pile of shattered Vulcan parts!

Also had a 48th scale Monogram B-29, Airfix BBMF, and some serious Top Gun aggressor stuff with missiles and cotton wool smoke!

Happy days

Eng

• Like 2