Spitfire prototype K-5054

roadrunner

Hello,

I've start the beautiful Alleycat's K5054, and after reeding all the post about the K-5054 I've still some questions....

Are the ailerons fabric or metal covered ?

I find this photo:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ILPEbM7AWEc/UnsCD0YD7bI/AAAAAAAAKvg/r6hNHQPPmM8/s1600/spitfire-proto.JPG

And I can't see that they are fabric covered like they are represended by Alley cat.(as the elevator...)

Which color for the cockpit ane wheels wells ?

It's one of the reasons for a desire for a time machine, since there are intriguing anomalies in K5054; for a start, the instructions were that it should be of all-metal construction.

If, as reported, on the first flight the airframe was a "yucky green," the rudder appears to be the same tone as the rest of the fuselage, when it would normally have been silver. The push-rods, for the elevator trim tabs, unique on K5054, are underneath the elevators; if the elevators were metal-covered, the covering (just like the tailplane and wings' undersides) would have been held in place by woodscrews, making access easier from underneath.

The cockpit was ordered to be grey-green, so would probably have been Supermarine's normal colour, as seen in the S6B's cockpit (the one in the Science Museum, not Southampton,) and the wheel wells are likely to be in the "yucky green," or normal interior colour of silver (your choice.)

• Like 1

Speaking of the cockpit - are there opinions about what dial, lever, tit was fitted where? Here my current guesses:

16507624601_281981f5a2_c.jpg

Edited by Blanik