Newbie in need of advice

kiya64

Just got back into modelling after a long break, I've just started Tamiyas Eurofighter in 1/72nd scale. Having looked at the work in progress section I have noticed detail parts been used, such as up graded cockpits and metal undercarriage sets. I was wondering if any of these are available for the Eurofighter. Thanks in advance.

I think the Tamiya one is the Italeri one reboxed, although there doesn't appear to be much in the way of aftermarket available either way. Most of it is designed for the Revell and/or Hasegawa kits. Some of it may fit the Italeri, but it's certainly not guaranteed...

Andrew

As a newbie I`d just do this one straight out of the box and see how you get on, maybe add a different weapons load, a new seat or new decals if you like? Just get your mojo back and have a practice before tackling a more expensive kit.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Why not, in stead of search for aftermarket details, look for some good references, and, if you feel adventurous, try to scratchbuild some details?. A lot of details in 1/72 are esentally strips or shapes of sheet plastic, or bits of metal wire...adding some simple details might bring the feel of detail on the kit to a new level, and if nothing else it can be very rewarding.

That said, as mentioned above, i'd focus on the overall look of the kit rather than to much detail...an out of the box kit, build by an expert will always look better than a dressed up kit with poor joints and a bad paintjob.

In the end it dousn't really matter what you do, just have fun and perhaps learn something :)

I agree with Tony et al.

My advice would be to build this one OOB ( Out Of Box) and use it to refresh your basic skills. If you pick the wrong aftermarket then you could end up with a bit of work on your hands to get it to fit and look good and loose your mojo as a result.

Always remember, a simple job done well is better than a complicated job done badly. I am in no way trying to knock your skills here or say that you will make a bad job of it. I have seen 'newbie's/returners' make a damn good job of a build, just take a look at Fritag's Jet Provosts to see what I mean.

Whatever you choose to do set up a work in progress thread on here. You will get all the encouragement and help you need

Al

Thanks for the advice Al , I was just wondering how to set up a wip thread and add pictures.

Probably a good idea to read the Help forum (from the home page) but in brief:

- go to the correct forum and just click the 'start a new thread' button (you must have done this for this one?

- have a quick read of this for the pictures. Size is important (!!) but Photobucket lets you change the size, simples.

HTH