RAF 1980s model airfield layout

I made this for my son back in 1986 as a Christmas present.

It consisted of an airfield base, control tower and a hardened aircraft shelter all made of plywood and of simple construction (child proof). The models ( not child proof) were, a Tornado GR1, Puma and a Skyvan by Airfix. Tornado F3, Hawk 200 and a Chinook by Matchbox. The ground equipment and figures are a combination of Airfix and Hasegawa. Not 100% accurate when it comes to the Shorts Skyvan in RAF colours.

F5A660DA-9F6D-4A24-A520-288E0E1ADFEE_zps

B80BF546-C255-4DCC-8DEE-7A968E37911E_zps

0FDB122D-7621-48C3-BBE0-5137DBF2AAAD_zps

865055D8-039E-4386-A812-C282AEA62919_zps

• Like 21

Thanks Tentacles, he had to have the Skyvan for Transport Command as a Hercules was to big to get in.

• Like 1

Thank you somtec and Simon. And thank you also Tony. My son was not allowed anywhere near it! Only joking. He said this Christmas how much he enjoyed playing with it. I started making him an Aircraft Carrier. I made the hull. That was six foot long so it would fit under his bed. The flight deck was based on a light fleet carrier from the 60s. The island was based on the Invincible class carriers and was made so it would pass through one of the deck lifts for stowage when it was under the bed. Unfortunately, my wife bought him a cabin bed and we had no were to store it. Like so many British carriers, it was never completed. I took some photos, if I ever find them, I will post them on here. He made do by joining the FAA. Joe

• Like 1

I was posted to RAF Bruggen in the late and it looks smack on the money apart for one thing. Where's the NAAFI? Love the idea and beautifully made.

Thank you. How could I have forgotten that. :) Joe

• Like 1

That sounds great. Earlier on this post I told Tony about what I started to make but never finished.

• Like 1

Thanks HOUSTON, yes, he played with it for hours. But the undercarriage didn't last long. :)