flightradar24 picking up RAF /military movements !

AirfixAndy

An RAF Sentinel caused a bit of a stir over the west of Scotland last week......FR24 trace gave the game away for me after a few colleagues pointed out the endless contrail, the FR trace originated from a mile or two to the east of Cranwell!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/mystery-plane-causes-concern-after-6542267

Eng

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok I give up I have FR2 on my phone and laptop, occasionally I might pick up a Herc, or Hawks, or Alpha Jets, North Devon see's a lot of Tornado's and other fighter aircraft they do a lot of dog fighting down here, but I have never picked any of them on FR2 so how come they are showing up on other people using FR2

• Like 1

Rather tasty Alpha jet Hampshire way:

http://fr24.com/ZJ647/805bb5a

Rick.

Ok I give up I have FR2 on my phone and laptop, occasionally I might pick up a Herc, or Hawks, or Alpha Jets, North Devon see's a lot of Tornado's and other fighter aircraft they do a lot of dog fighting down here, but I have never picked any of them on FR2 so how come they are showing up on other people using FR2

We're special!

Very funny Rick I did pick up two Hawks over Wales, three Alpha's dog fighting over the Devon countryside with another one over towards Farnborough and another one heading our way from Wales.

• Like 1

Yeah and so am I VERY Special :pilot: cause I watched a Thomson Airways 757 with no departure point and no destination, according to where it started it was the middle of the sea, and it landed near Bristol, and it was on TMLAT radar. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

I've recently downloaded Flightradar24 but it only seems to show civil airports and aircraft movements. No military air movements / bases. I does pick up a glider around the Colchester Essex area!

Is it configurable to show military movements?

Thanks in advance,

Jonny

Is it on your mobile or laptop tablet Jonny if it's on your mobile it should show the aircraft as different sizes, there is also a neat setting in there you can configure it to notify you about emergency squawks. On a laptop it's different, on your fr2 screen there are three little dots cick it and a menu pop's up the two you are interested in are extras and settings. Extras allows you to purchase an upgrade which shows the aircraft as different sizes instead of being all the same size. In settings there are various options click on other options and click on map, you you will see an option to click TMLAT set that to on that will show military aircraft, the down side is you still have to click on them to see what they are. As for military bases you will see Brize Norton only.

Hope this helps

Cheers Ray

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There's a noise overhead above the cloud base, so had a quick look and I'm watching ZJ647 Alpha Jet from Boscombe Down!.