flightradar24 picking up RAF /military movements !

AirfixAndy

2220 on Monday evening - Something "blocked" heading southeast over Lancashire at 41000ft, speed 929kmh - followed the track back all the way to Van Nuys Airport in LA - any ideas?

Not sure I can do a screen grab off an iPad?

Edited by Graeme

2220 on Monday evening - Something "blocked" heading southeast over Lancashire at 41000ft, speed 929kmh - followed the track back all the way to Van Nuys Airport in LA - any ideas?

Not sure I can do a screen grab off an iPad?

Probably a business jet that wants to keep its identity private :ninja:

Unless Aurora is up and about tonight

I spotted this the other day, kept vanishing from the display then reappearing. The tracks don't look like tracks - any ideas ? 56kts doesn't seem very fast.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w523/stuartp68/oo-ykb_zpstqvbvwri.jpg

There have been a few Shadows and Islanders flying round in circles off the East Yorks coast recently. I'm guessing it's either training, or there's a Taliban cell in Withernsea, or one of them has lost a really expensive mobile on the beach somewhere.

Edited by stuartp
  • Like 3

A Citation X or Gulfsteam G650 will both happily cruise at over 900 km/h and boast a ceiling of at least 51, 000 feet.

I knew that, just seeing if anyone else did...

I still think it was an Aurora stuck in third gear

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the abortive Queen's Birthday Flypast participants currently visible: Madras (Voyager KC Mk,2 ZZ331) and Camel 1 and 2 (Beech Super King Air ZK460 and ZK451 respectively), also one of 32 (The Royal) Squadron's grey BAe 146s off the Essex coast and a C130 over Suffolk - inbound Mildenhall ? Brize Norton.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have been using flight radar to id the ac I see from Weymouth, but this evening I have seen aircraft that when checked on F R are over Taunton or Salisbury which is a long way away to actually be able to see the airfame rather than just the contrail, is this some sort of atmospheric refraction due to the setting sun or is F R not as exact in its placement as I thought, was a lovely sunset by the way.