flightradar24 picking up RAF /military movements !

AirfixAndy

For the past few days I've noticed that several RAF aircraft movements are showing up on FR24 .

I've been following the A330 Voyager flights from BZ out to the North Sea AAR zones and even Tornados hooking up and flying out of Lossie.

Tucanos and King Airs are also being tracked now.

Anyone else seen anything unusual ?

Andy

Interesting. I haven't seen any military apart from the odd light transport flight, but did see Portmoak's ASK21 sosaring the Bishop Hill the other day on Flightradar - it had its FLARM running, which presumably was how it got picked up !

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)

a couple weeks ago I followed an RAF Merlin in the Benson area( serail matched one of the options in the 48th Airfix kit) and only yesterday a came across a BAE 146 ZE*** from Dundee to ?? But I suspect it was Northolt

Not only those, but late last summer, over Germany and North Sea a number of military jets some only giving callsigns, FS Skyhawks and others serial numbers such as Italian AMX s!

There are two King Airs north of P'borough and N'tham. A Navy Avenger down in Cornwall and ZF*** Navajo around Swindon.

Currently: two hercs very close to each other (C30J)shows as flight number near sleaford

Saw a Herc crossing the North Sea off the coast of Norway .

The Voyager has been doing the rounds again .

There were two Russian aircraft this morning .....An124 from Leipzig going through the Shetland gap and an An12 over the North West coast .

Andy

About an hour ago, ther was an Alpha jet in the yeovil area. Up around Lincs were 3 King Airs and a King Air 300 RAF VANTGE48

Back around Oxford a Merlin and Aw109.

I've been watching C-130s going into Brize Norton this evening along with a Merlin zooming around Chalgrove.

Interesting to see a Google Project Loon balloon perched above Zimbabwe tonight on FR24. Can't figure out how they could work if they just blow away? Must get very expensive as well as loosing signal? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Loon

Also there's 'GLEX' (A Sential) doing communication circuits over Afganistan as well as another 'GLEX' going from Marselle to North America, both with same ID code.

I've noticed all manner of Military helicopters Chinook Wildcat Merlin & also RAF Voyagers and on one occassion a FAF Atlas on FR24 lately but they pop up then disappear is it a low level black out on the app

The Irish Air Corps PC-9s and Casa's appear above 9000 also .

Eamonn

I noticed the Super King Air and King Airs and also at the same time 2 of the FRADU Falcons (on the 12th). One was on a racetrack off the Lincolnshire coast and the other had been out by Stornaway and was heading home down the NE coast (which was why I looked on FR24 as it flew right over my place).

Duncan B

Is there a way to adjust he settings to pick up military aircraft as well?

I just downloaded the app, and of course, as anyone would do, checked out Area 51, lol...nothing showing up other than an unidentified plane heading north out of La Vegas - Judith Airways maybe?

Cool. Got an IAC PC-9M (Irl264) from what looks like Linton-on-Ouse heading SSW.

There is something called RICO11 doing a lot of tracks over Norfolk. Prob from LN or Mildenhall. Any idea what it is?

• Like 1

RICO11 might be a Tornado from Marham. Lots of Hawks from Valley over the Irish sea earlier today, Tucano from Leeming(?) Hawks and Falcon 20 over the channel of Torquay and a number of King Airs over Lincs.

A daft question maybe, did anyone pick up anything from the recent Typhoon Scramble or from previous regular incidents with this. I know the Russian transponders were switched off so would they still appear on FR24 (as unidentified plots maybe?)?

A daft question maybe, did anyone pick up anything from the recent Typhoon Scramble or from previous regular incidents with this. I know the Russian transponders were switched off so would they still appear on FR24 (as unidentified plots maybe?)?

I found a Voyager KC2 tanker from Brize Norton that went to the Cairngorms then headed south to spend a lot of time loitering off the Cornish coast. It then headed north again over the Isle of Man to complete a couple of racetrack circuits near the west coast of Scotland before heading home to Brize.

Can't say for certain it had anything to do with the Typhoons and Bears.