Sea King Crew seat detaing (Revell 72nd scale kit)...

Part of my Sea King build requires the rebuilding of the crew seats. The seats as provided are not well represented, so here is my way of rebuilding them. The build works around using the seat parts provided in the kit. I first scraped the moulded in seat belt detail and will use AM PE parts for these.

To be fair to Revell the seat is quite complex and could not realisically be injection moulded iin 72nd scale but the kit parts could have looked a lot better when you conside the level of deatil on the rest of the kit.

So, this is what it should look like..

IMG_6371crre_zps884b2f61.jpg

This is what we should end up with...

IMG_6370crre_zpsc14ac53c.jpg

So firstly, the parts requires...

IMG_6374crre_zps03a82209.jpg

Cutting list...

IMG_6374crre1_zps5a527d09.jpg

Parts as needed...

IMG_6373crre_zpse86b0f39.jpg

Watch this space....

Colin

Edited by heloman1
  • Like 7

Thanks for posting Colin. Do you mind if some of us will use this in our own builds?

Hi Hendrik, no please do, that was the purpose of my post, to help the GB memebrs. Milktrip said he would follow my SK seat build in my build thread. So I thought, lets expand it a little.

Colin

• Like 2

Ok, let's get two seats built...

First up you need to remove the front pins and the rear stubs and pin from the Revell arm chairs... Then add the square (6.5 x 6mm) piece of plasticard I forgot to annotate in the parts list (ooops!) and clean up the edges. It builds up the seat base.

Step One.

IMG_6380crre_zps410acb31.jpg

OK, time for some assebly pics. So starting with the two seat rails (part 6) and the two sliders (part 7). Attatch these two rails (6) to the jig with a small touch of CA to the front ends, just enough to hold them in place and then attatch the two slider (7).

Step two.

IMG_6379crre_zps2526e501.jpg

To the seat back add the seat back frame (part 1) and the seat squab frame (part 2), you can now attatch the seat back strap (part 3) the seat belt reel plate (part 4) and the seat belt reel/tensioner (part 5). You can get your's square I handle this one whilst the MEK was still a tad wet!!!

Step 3.

IMG_6382crre_zps48299a47.jpg

You'll then end up with a piar of these, four if you are doing two seats for the WO's in the cabin.

IMG_6386crre_zpscb5854ac.jpg

Moving along you can now attatch the seat frame assembly to the seat sliders from step one, along with the lock bar (part 8) and cross brace (part 9). 9 goes between the seat back legs and 8 half way between there and the rear of the sliders. See pic of real seat at the top of the build article.

Add the two seat side braces (part 10) and then attatch the seat back plate (part 16) to the rear of the sliders and the back of the seat frame. Once all this has set up and your happy with the alignment of all the parts you can add the cover plate (part 12), the seat belt guide (part 11) and the seat belt protector (part 17). Parts 12 and 17 made from masking tape, it seemed the easiest option.

Almost there...

IMG_6391crre_zpsf4b9c0c3.jpg

As mentioned in the parts listing you can also add the seat height adjuster (part13) and the seat slide lock levers (part 14) along with the set belt lock/release (part 15). These enhance the look of the seat but are quite fiddly to get to sit in the correct places.

I'm adding one fully detailed seat to the cabin seats and one side of each to the cockpit seats.

You should now end up with this...

IMG_6396crre_zps5dd620d6.jpg

You'll notice I used a small blob of Press-Stik our local version of Blutac to rest the front of the squab on to get the correct seat angle.

It took me just over an hour to assemble two seat, so for the four say an afternoons modelling. A coat of mid grey paint and they should look rather spendid once in the cockpit and cabin. You'll need to remove the moulded in seat rails from the cabin and cockpit floors before you attatch the seats.

I've since descovered the seats in the cockpit sit approx 3mm too far forward and foul the cyclic sticks, so will need some material removing from the rear end of the frame. I'll come up with a sollution and give an update.

The seat cushions are sheepskin so I reckon, off white and the seat back, I'll have to find a pic of that... seat belts appear to be mid blue or grey.

Enjoy the build and if you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Colin

As an aside, this is the seat from the Hasegawa 48th Sea king kit...

IMG_6390crre_zps1af8e274.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to have this thread 'pinned'? I know I'll be referencing it in the future and thought that it would be easier and more convenient for people to find if its near the top. Does anyone object to this idea? if not then I'll ask as I'd imagine it would require moderator / admin access to do this.

• Like 1