1/32nd English Electric Lightning - ID Kit

Simon Cornes

I was wondering what the opinion is of this kit? I can lay my hands on one for not a lot of dosh. Is it worth shelling out the extra for SAC undercarriage and Mastercasters wheels? I was thinking it might make a good basis for a T4 or 5 conversion (using the Whirlykits conversion) without having to carve up what is still an expensive Trumpeter kit? If it was a T5 in camouflage then the lack of surface detail may not be an issue, it was more a matter of shape and dimensions.

Many thanks

Simon

If I were you I might hold fire and try to find an Echelon kit instead, much more user friendly and contains excellent decals and white metal parts inc u/c. Those old ID vacs are very very basic and vague in parts.

You might be a bit masochistic though (and I can identify with that). If it is really cheap, having a go wouldn't harm I suppose.

Nige

Thanks Nige, in fact, Pat Lewarne has suggested that I avoid this particular kit as it is very old and may be a bit 'iffy' regarding shape and also thickness of plastic. I suspect that the Echelon kit would be significantly more than the £30 I would have to pay for this - including wheels and u/c! But if someone can prove me wrong? !!

One basic check, on any Lightning kit (or drawing,) is to look at the wing; if it tapers from root to tip, it's wrong.

Echelon's Frank Brown got hold of original BAC drawings (1/3rd actual size,) and found that the upper and lower surfaces were parallel as far as the outer edge of the wheel well, after which the taper started.

Edited by Edgar

£30 for an ID Lightning ? For sure it's going to be a very good investment in terms of money per hour of modelling ! However this is because you'll have to scratchbuild pretty much everything...

Personally I would consider such a kit cheap if it goes for £10-15, no more. Once you add the bare essentials in aftermarket bits, the Trumpeter kit, with all its inaccuracies, becomes a cheaper option

Edited by Giorgio N

£30 for an ID Lightning ? For sure it's going to be a very good investment in terms of money per hour of modelling ! However this is because you'll have to scratchbuild pretty much everything...

Personally I would consider such a kit cheap if it goes for £10-15, no more. Once you add the bare essentials in aftermarket bits, the Trumpeter kit, with all its inaccuracies, becomes a cheaper option

The 30 already included wheels and u/c, so that mitigates the price of the basic plastic somewhat... I bought the Combat F-100, F7U-3 and H-34 for 20 € the lot some time ago, and this may put me in a somewhat similar situation, should I ever think about building them. I have no first hand experience with ID kits, but if the basic shapes look OK on the sheet, and you enjoy engraving panel lines...why not ? The Echelon kit will be very hard to track down (I imagine), and rather expensive, as it's a collectors' piece initself.

The 30 already included wheels and u/c, so that mitigates the price of the basic plastic somewhat... I bought the Combat F-100, F7U-3 and H-34 for 20 € the lot some time ago, and this may put me in a somewhat similar situation, should I ever think about building them. I have no first hand experience with ID kits, but if the basic shapes look OK on the sheet, and you enjoy engraving panel lines...why not ? The Echelon kit will be very hard to track down (I imagine), and rather expensive, as it's a collectors' piece initself.

That is what I was thinking. Bear in mind I am thinking about making a T4 or 5 using the Whirlykits conversion (ie full resin forward fuselage) then my issues are whether the fuselage section towards the nose is correct in order to blend with the resin, how good the rear fuselage is in section - but then we all know that the Trumpeter kit is lacking there anyway - and how good the mainplanes are in plan view view.

Panel lines are no big issue because you can use either the Trumpeter kit or a set of decent plans to locate those but there's no point in putting in the effort if the fuselage cross section is way out or its too deep from top to bottom. The fin would be Trumpeter as you get both types with the kit so that's not a problem, - and scratchbuilding the tailplanes is no big deal either. It's all about the fuselage shape and mainplane IMHO.