MI-24 Hind D Afghan Air Force - FINISHED

I was tempted by the 1/32 version but just don't have room for anything like it. Seeing your hobby boss I may actually try one. It looks a good kit and you have done a great job with it.

Evening All. This post is a bit pic heavy, catching up on the weekends fun. Yesterday I tried a bit of an armour weathering technique with random oil paint dots all over the airframe and then streaked with a broad brush moistened with white spirit. I need more practice at that technique as all effectively managed to do was apply a filter to the finish. I did get a decent bit of exhaust staining behind the engine exhausts and I lightened the brown a little. The undersides have dirtied up nicely too. With all then done and dry it got a bit of random spray with much thinned white to 'fade' the camouflage. I popped the wheels on as a dry fit and put the Hind on the table. Oh dear. The tail skid was almost on the ground. In the pic below the distance between the skid and its reflection is of course doubled, so it is almost on the deck:

atail1_zpsgwugok3d.jpg

I thought that the flats I had put on the main wheels were too deep, though they were as the photos on the internet seemed to show. So I spun the wheels and the tail skid was still way too low. Another hunt on t'internet showed that the undercarriage seemed to sit too flat. The pic below shows the starboard u/c, which I had shortened slightly to achieve the Hind's characteristic lean to the right:

auc1_zpslgmzpzov.jpg

The fix? Simple. Add a small sliver of plastic card under each oleo strut to lift the aft end of the fuselage and tail. This has now been painted to match the oleo and will be hidden by the undercarriage door:

auc2_zpsvxccljdl.jpg

Now that's better:

atail2_zpsfwgbdorw.jpg

The tail rotor hub still needs the attention of a paintbrush to finish off the pitch change links and the spider, but the anti-ice looms have been added:

aTRH_zps3iiz8vsl.jpg

The anti-ice looms have been added to the main rotor hub as well. The detail is lovely, showing the Trumpeter 1/35 heritage of this model:

aMRH_zpsemxvrmsi.jpg

As you may have noticed in the earlier pics, the wheel hubs are a little dark. It's Citadel Dark Angels Green, which I thought would be OK. Fortunately I also had Citadel Knarloc Green, which is a much better match for the green with which Russian aircraft wheel hubs seem to be painted. I used a circle template held over the wheel hub as a mask and sprayed the hubs through that, making sure no spray got through the other holes either side by just masking over them. That way you also know which hole to spray through. I think that it is quite effective, with the newly painted wheel on the left. A second spray after this pic actually lightened it a little more which I think is better:

awheels_zpsdze6kr2i.jpg

A really good spray with several thin layers of Klear followed, and when that had dried I made a start on the decals. The colours of the roundels are very vivid and will need to be 'knocked back' when the final weathering is done. For now, with wheels, pylons and rotors dry fitted, it looks like this:

afrview_zpsmwrgc1py.jpg

arlview_zpsxqf9uhip.jpg

aptside_zpsiex4syu2.jpg

There is plenty of detailwork still to do but I am really enjoying this build again.

• Like 3

Tom, don't be shy; I really appreciate your participation. I believe you are right about the shade of brown but as I said, I am not changing it now!

Well, guess you know how it is: not everybody is welcoming an advice (no matter how well-meant this might be)...

Anyway, your paintwork is excellent (indeed, application of what was a standardized camo pattern applied on dozens of exported Mi-25s is amazingly accurate), and you enjoy the build so much... what else can one ask for? ;)

I haven't posted through the week as my modelling time has been taken up with decalling and a fair bit more weathering. I have given the airframe panel lines a wash over with Flory Models black on the upper surfaces and brown on the undersurfaces. I know there is a difference of opinion about whether to enhance panel lines or not, or indeed whether they should even be present in 1/72, but for me they look better with a wash into them - though perhaps Matchbox's originals did overdo them a wee bit! So, a wash was painted over the panel lines and then the excess carefully removed with cotton buds.

washed%20hind_zps4tgogoly.jpg

This shot shows some of the wash removed from the fuselage side. The decals are very thin, though you can see the edge of the serial number decal in this photo because of the light. Once the final varnish has been applied this should disappear nicely.

washed%20close_zpsvsnfd3ka.jpg

My (much) better half is out doing a day of craft workshops today, so I have the modelling room all to myself!

• Like 4

Evenin' All. Here we are with a quick Hind update. This wil be complete tomorrow though all there really is to do is add a few oil streaks around some of the cowlings, add a pair of rocket pods, put the tail HF aerials on and take the masking off the canopy - always a scary job.

The final matt coat is my favourite Windsor and Newton Galeria misted on in thin layers with the airbrush. I love photoetch for the extra detail, but I still hate butt joining thin slivers of metal. The IFF aerials at the tail and on the base of the pitot probe are etch, the vanes on the pitot probe are etch and the footstep on the sensor is etch. The loom to the sensor is fine copper wire and the looms on the missile launchers are lead wire:

a3hind_zps2u8q67rz.jpg

a4hind_zps6n6am1za.jpg

Currently with the rotors and stub wings dry assembled to the airframe it looks like this:

a2hind_zpsijiehhap.jpg

a1hind_zpscclpcyal.jpg

I hope the light is good enough for some decent pictures tomorrow, until then I will leave you to enjoy the other posts in this excellent GB.

• Like 3

Lovely. It was interesting that you left off the "wings" during weathering. And those rocket launchers look excellent.

Hi Nigel, I left the stub wings off so that I could get in behind the pylons to weather the airframe and under the wings themselves. Everything fits so nicely that I haven't actually glued the stub wings on.

So now it's finished and added to the cabinet. If you are unfamiliar with the pre-1979 USSR 'invasion' Afghan Air Force roundels they looked like this:

a8P1030433_zpsoz6srx1r.jpg

The anti collision beacon is moulded with the airframe, so I painted it silver and then added several layers of Tamiya clear red, finishing off with a coat of clear varnish. The HF aerials are Fine EZ Line and the insulators at the top right of the picture are small blobs of white glue, painted white once they had dried.

As I was clearing up at various stages in the build I kept putting away lots and lots of different paints. 'Back in the day' I am sure I used to be happy with one green, one brown, one light blue, a silver and a black. The old Matchbox kits even gave you a mini paint guide if you didn't want to paint everything. Now it takes me these many to complete a model:

a1P1030414_zpsxsefcyav.jpg

I sprayed over the masked canopy with Klear before I started the main paintjob, and I am glad I did. When I took the masking off there were some areas where the Klear had got under the masking, but a gentle rub over with my fingernail removed those without damaging the clarity. If it had been paint that had got under there I may not have been so lucky. There's not much to add now, I think I covered most of what I did as I went along, so here are a couple of pics. The requisite five photos will be placed in the Gallery. All that remains to add is a huge thank you to the hosts and everyone who has watched and commented. Model on!

a6P1030429_zps9do8yvai.jpg

a7P1030428_zpsagbptqni.jpg

a2P1030419_zpsfq0mwvfu.jpg

• Like 2