MI-24 Hind D Afghan Air Force - FINISHED

Right then, we have moved house after working our backsides off for weeks. The there was all the sorting out, that awful real life stuff that gobbles up modelling time. But now.......

The Hobbyboss Mi-24 Hind D is a scale down of Trumpeter's 1/35th model I believe, and it has some lovely detail. It has some juicy problems too, like the huge mould seam along the middle of the canopy (more on that later) and the aerials being moulded on the fuselage halves which makes for an oddly shaped seam which may be awkward when it comes to filling the gap; not that there is much of a gap when I dry fit.

Anyway, some pics.

The model will have the Eduard etch and Linden Hill decals for the Afghan Air Force markings:

z1_zps5e9b9b00.jpg

The cockpit doesn't really need any photoetch, the detail is quite good. This does illustrate that the parts have some chunky sprue gates though - as well as the moulding tags:

z2_zpsd1d2093b.jpg

To say the locations for the interior parts are 'positive' is a bit like saying the pyramids are impressive or Warren Buffet isn't short of a bob or two:

z3_zpsc770d805.jpg

I have primed the interior parts ready for their interior blue-green and detailing. More to follow...

• Like 5

Great choice and yes a nice model too and if memory serves correctly I didn't have any trouble with the 'odd shaped seam line'. I'll continue to follow your progress. BTW, a house move is considerd one of the most traumatic activities a person can do. Glad to hear you have it behind you.

Colin

Heloman - It was our second house move in 10 months, on top of finishing a 30 year career and starting out on a completely new career path. No wonder I didn't build much in 2014!

ForestFan - Oooh dearie me, that has given me quite something to live up to. Very nice Hind.

Hi again All. Well I have been working on the house - again - and my (much) better half and I took off for a couple of days in the Lake District just to get away from it all. Now I am back I am back to the modelling desk. The exhausts have had a brush coat of Humbrol Metalcote Steel which will be polished and then have some staining. The Steel looks matt dark grey when it dries, but a polish with a soft cloth makes it shine like real metal.

The interior has been painted the perfect shade of Russian cockpit green for a Hind. Well, it's my mix, on my model, so it is perfect for this particular Hind! It is about 50/50 Games Workshop Hawk Turquoise with Life Color RLM 78 and a tiny, tiny spot of Games Workshop Dark Angels Green. It'll do for me. The second photo has been adjusted to appear just about the same shade as one of the pieces held next to it; on my computer screen anyway.

This is where I am up to at the moment:

zz1_zps15abd9e2.jpg

All this needs detail panting, and seatbelts adding, before the fuselage halves can be closed up. The cockpit will come to life when I start with the details painting this week. At the moment, in its base cockpit colour (which I have adjusted to compare with the original sprayed parts), it looks like this:

zz2_zpsf608f3c1.jpg

More to follow......

• Like 8

A bit more done, just a bit.

The Humbrol Metalcote Steel goes on as a matt dark grey and then can be polished with a soft cloth to make it look like shiny steel. It is meant to be sprayed but I brushed it on to the exhausts as a base to work with. Unfinished and polished they look like this:

zzz1_zps0cb1da91.jpg

They were then worked with browns, rusts and black to make them look like this:

zzz2_zps5c2874b5.jpg

With all that effort expended all that can be seen when the fuselage is closed up is this:

zzz4_zpsf763c57f.jpg

As you can see in the picture above the engine cowling piece needs some work to get it to fit properly. This model is well known for this problem and I have a couple of ideas to help when the final fit is done. We shall see if they work. As it is the piece clips quite firmly in to place.

The interior is reasonably detailed too. You can see the cabin roof in one of the earlier photos and this is of the seat and the rear bulkhead:

zzz5_zps96cf44b5.jpg

I have no intention of adding any more detail, not even seatbelts. If the cabin doors were open, the option is available with this kit, it would be worthwhile but the view through the tiny windows is non-existent, so this will disappear when the fuselage is closed up. Enough for now, goodnight...

• Like 3

If it's not the house it's the bloomin' garden. Digging out ornamental conifers (have you any idea how far down the roots go?!) and planting roses in the sleet for goodness sake. That was not in my plan for the weekend.

Cockpit detail painting has been done and the cockpit and cabin assembly is together ready to sandwich between the fuselage halves. Sorry the pics are a bit hit and miss, I don't get much chance to take pics in natural light.

All the detail is OOB except the seatbelts which are wine bottle foil.

cockpit_zpsirq61xkr.jpg

cockpit2_zps1r69mm71.jpg

cockpit3_zpsvudqpunj.jpg

More soon...

• Like 6

theres some very nice detail on this kit and your painting helps show it all off. I like the natural 'flop' of the seatbelts you've achieved.

those Humbrol metalcote paints look good, I might give them a try.

• Like 1

Early on I mentioned 'the huge mould seam along the middle of the canopy' that this model is burdened with. I have been dreading having to tackle that as it is something I have never done before. The seam is large enough to catch your fingernail on and really can't be ignored:

canopy_zps5yez2iaz.jpg

One saving grace is that the seam doesn't extend right through the pilot's or gunner's windscreens. So, a gentle rub with worn 800 grade wet and dry, followed by the same with micromesh from grade 3600 to grade 12000 and finally a polish with a selvyt jewellery polishing cloth left the seam removed and the canopy reasonably clear. The close-up pic shows that it still has micro-scratches all over though:

canopy2_zpslymwsp7x.jpg

The canopy was then dipped in Klear and it is currently drying under a cover to try and keep the dust off.

The next stage is to close the fuselage around the cockpit and cabin assembly - tomorrow after the glue holding the side windows in has dried. More soon...

• Like 4

Agree, nice work removing that seam!

My weapon of choice for that job is one of those soft nail polishing sticks, the ones for polishing up nails. Having a nice soft sponge backing they conform to the canopies contour's nicely and depending of the plastic you don't even have to drop in Klear!

Nice work on getting rid of the canopy mould lines, a necessary part of the moulding proceedure but no the less buggyfying. If you don't consider it an intrusion on your build thread, I can post a pic of my Mi-35 conversion using the Scaleworx kit parts?

Colin

• Like 1

Nice work on getting rid of the canopy mould lines, a necessary part of the moulding proceedure but no the less buggyfying. If you don't consider it an intrusion on your build thread, I can post a pic of my Mi-35 conversion using the Scaleworx kit parts?

Colin

Yes please. That's not intrusion, that's providing inspiration.

Nice work removing the canopy seam. I would also have removed the moulded wipers as I presume the Eduard set includes replacement parts.

Yep, Eduard provides new wipers, but my courage only stretched so far!

Agree, nice work removing that seam!

My weapon of choice for that job is one of those soft nail polishing sticks, the ones for polishing up nails. Having a nice soft sponge backing they conform to the canopies contour's nicely and depending of the plastic you don't even have to drop in Klear!

Alas, my nail polisher is one of those items not yet located after the house move.

A tiddly update tonight.

Klear - it really is magic stuff:

conopy%20klear_zps3v5n6efo.jpg

I have started fitting the fuselage together, working one section at a time to keep it as nicely lined up as possible. Pictures of fuselages covered in clips and clamps are not interesting though. More to follow soon...

• Like 3