Burago Ferrari 512bb

BumbleAnt

Many years ago my dad and I built this model over a weekend as there was very little to paint.

Over the years the decals have faded and worn to the point I've had it tucked away in a drawer to prevent any further damage.

While searching for models I discovered a chap in Italy who was selling the decals. I bought a set immediately and they turned up this morning :)

I was thinking of rubbing the old decals off with a washing up sponge and some warm water. Is this a good method?

I'm also going to paint up the interior and I've got to make a side skirt as one was damaged from new and dad was of the attitude no-one will notice. He was right if you turn it facing the other way :D

15869702694_106c7ecf57_c.jpg

16491241772_b68963951d_c.jpg

16306312277_8fc954bfcd_c.jpg

The decals might come off with acetone-free nail varnish remover.

I'm not sure just hot water will work but you never know.

Just out of interest, it looks in the pictures as if the new decals have peculiar 'squared-off' rear wheel arches.

Surely whoever made them knows what a curve looks like?

It will still undoubtedly look better though but you might just have to touch in the rear arches with paint to lose those straight lines on the decals...

Roy.

I've got to soak it to help remove X-many years dust but the wife gave me some acetone free nail varnish for another project if needs be.

I'd not noticed the decals, but i can now see what you mean. I'll cut them down and offer them up and see how much difference there is.

Will the nail varnish remover help to soften the old glue so I can dismantle it to paint it? I'm not sure what glue was used but it's possibly clear poly glue.

That looks a decent car even if the decals are worn/faded.

Microset can remove decals but if it was me.. I would leave that one and get another kit from Ebay and display them side by side.. old one full of memories and new as a tribute.

Thats only my opinion and is to do with as you decide, theres one on ebay now.. from Italy too :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBurago-1-24-Ferrari-512-BB-Daytona-Die-Cast-Model-/191506074356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c96a6caf4