Westland Wessex Family STGB Chat

heloman1

So no to the S-58 then? That was my original intention but I've a set of decals for a Wessex I can use.

Yep, sorry about that, I should have thought a little longer as to the title for the GB.... Wessex 1 is good.

Colin

Not to worry Colin; the S-58/ Choctaw - Sea Bat, as we all know, could form the basis of a STGB, as there were so many different users. But well done for suggesting a Wessex STGB...just looking at people's choices will be interesting enough.

Regards,

Graham

Bit of Bad news guys. Ordinary I would have given the STGB the next available slot however it would mean that if I did you would be running at the same time as the Huey STGB. So in order to give some separation on variety to the STGBs I will need to wait for the next STGB to Get a date then fit this one in.

In effect you will be looking at being on of the last STGBs in 2016 at this time I'm into November with the planning.

Sorry but you get the next available slot.

Edited by Mish

Please count Loft-full in.

....................Even if it does mean making the helicopter version.

...................................November 2016 you say? That's nearly the end of next year isn't it?

Bit of Bad news guys. Ordinary I would have given the STGB the next available slot however it would mean that if I did you would be running at the same time as the Huey STGB. So in order to give some separation on variety to the STGBs I will need to wait for the next STGB to Get a date then fit this one in.

In effect you will be looking at being on of the last STGBs in 2016 at this time I'm into November with the planning.

Sorry but you get the next available slot.

Good morning Mish, many thanks for the heads-up. Yep, no point in running two helo STGBs at the same time, November sounds good.

Colin

Good morning Mish, many thanks for the heads-up. Yep, no point in running two helo STGBs at the same time, November sounds good.

Colin

Good for me too...and I meant Whirlwind, not Sea Bat! (Silly old doofer)

It won't be a stash raid for me, it'll be a considered online purchasing decision. Because my stash is severely lacking in Wessexii. Does anyone have any esoteric knowledge to share as to who makes the best one? Preferably in 72th, but 48nd will do if the candidates in the smaller scale are completely dire.

Hi Rob. The only 72nd Wessex kit to consider are the Italeri kits, HU Mk5 (RN) and the HAS Mk3 (RN). If I get my act togehter I can finish the conversion for the HAS Mk1but for that you would need an H-34 Choctaw kit (small cabin windows).

I've mentioned elsewhere that the Italeri kit is 6mm too short in it's o/a length. This occurs in the transion piece between the aft of the cabin and the start of the tail cone. It's probably rivet counting but it looks so much better with the extra added.

For 48th scale, it's Italeri again HU5, HAS 3 and recently released a HAS1 and all ROYAL NAVY types. If you fancy an RAF HAR/HC Mk2 (small cabin windows) then there are some conversion parts available in the ROTORcraft range from Frieghtdog (see the traders page) for a link. For this you would need the HU 5 kit. Xtradecals do a very nice AM decal sheet which covers the RAF types amongst others.

If you fancy 144th, then there are three kits available form a CZ manufacturer, who's name escapes me at present.

Hope this is of some help.

Colin

• Like 1

I think the manufacturer of the 1/144 scale is Mark I. A club member took the kit in to our last meeting: the detail on them is lovely. Especially for such a small scale.

Although we don't even have a date yet, and when we do, the GB won't be until late next year I'm pretty sure I'll be building a Wessex 60, G-ATSC. Bristows bird that use to fly out of East Yorkshire.

Yes, a civvi Wessex, nice choice indeed. Thanks for the heads up re Mark1, I'm waitng for one to arrive, provided those very nice postal workers in Jo'burg haven't rifled the package...

Colin

• Like 1

A civil Wessex sounds quite intriguing. It would sit well with my British Airways Chinook (if I ever start it...). More research for a good base kit for a civil conversion will now begin. (When I get home from work in a couple of days.)

• Like 1

Huh! I sign up thinking I had a kit in the stash to discover I've sold it. But K/kit has come to my rescue and am now waiting for delivery; even though there is plenty of time.

A civil Wessex sounds quite intriguing. It would sit well with my British Airways Chinook (if I ever start it...). More research for a good base kit for a civil conversion will now begin. (When I get home from work in a couple of days.)

Tom Cooper posted this in the T-28 Trojan thread, and I'll admit I knew nothing about them, but Whirlybirds do some interesting stuff. Not sure about the scales though. Have a look...it's their Whirlwind kits I'm interested in, but have yet to explore.

Whirlybird,

• Like 1

Huh! I sign up thinking I had a kit in the stash to discover I've sold it. But K/kit has come to my rescue and am now waiting for delivery; even though there is plenty of time.

Nice save Paul. Which kit did you get?

Colin

Managed to source a Revell issue of the HAS 3 with the hump and yellow top going by the box art/ 1/72nd by the way so most likely the same Italeri tool and different decals. But I do have the Modeldecal ones to choose from too.

Whilst we're on a roll with the Sea King STGB I thought, well who might be interested in a Wessex STGB. The Fly 32nd scale kit should be available soon and with all the Italeri vaersion now available, it could be quite a fun build.

With the calendar book for this year, if we were suucessfull the GB wouldn't be until 2016 at the earliest. Let me have your thoughts, please.

Colin the Wessex fan/nut.

Glad to join your group build Colin

Managed to source a Revell issue of the HAS 3 with the hump and yellow top going by the box art/ 1/72nd by the way so most likely the same Italeri tool and different decals. But I do have the Modeldecal ones to choose from too.

Ok, it's a start...but I'm sure you know about the leg arrangement. In fact apart from that aspect, I thought Revell made a nice shaped a/c...loved the Kriegesmarine SAR H-34. (Silver and DG Orange)

Its just turned up! Kit no 04439 for those the need to know. Decals look OK but are the older Revell German printed ones on white paper. Shouldn't be an issue as I have the Modeldecal ones to suit if need be! Weird blue plastic though!