Westland Wessex Family STGB Chat

heloman1

Great idea Colin, count me in please.

Don't mind throwing my hat into the co-host position as well if no one wants it.

Cheers the Woo

PS. What's the gen on the Fly model release then?...

As the Wessex was a spin off form the H-34 it would be rude not to include it, so yes. If it helps expand the interest why not.

Colin

In that case it would be rude of me not to at least try to get a 'Colonial' chopper finished for this. Am thinking red/white/blue.......

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, so seveteen interested modellers so far. The Wessx/H-34(in all it's guises) was used world wide snf still is. So there is not shortage of colours and markings to get your teeth into. No shortage of scales either, 35th (coming soon), 48th, 72nd and 144th.

Colin

I think it would be rude if I didn't make some kind of effort here Colin so (Providing SWTSMBO doesn't put too many oars in the watter) I will make an effort

I wonder what STGB means though, I'm not very 'netsavvy myself

I don't suppose old already shown ones count do they ;)

bill

Just a thought, should this thread not be moved to the group build chat area to make it a bit more official and highlight the intentions?

Yes, it would be best to ask a moderator to move the thread in that area.

Also, I believe that the number of interested parties for an STGB (that for those who have asked means Single Type Group Build) is not 30 but 15.

Would I be interested ? Why not ! Although with the current calendar I believe we're talking sometime next year at best

OK guys, I've contacted Mish re moving this thread to the GB Chat, which is where I should have posted in the first palce. Applogies to Mish and everyone else. Silly boy!

Colin

As my demi-mod powers don't quite reach this area of the forums I have asked the admn mods to move the whole thread to the GB chat area of the GB section.

Please anyone else considering to propose a GB or STGB start the thread in the correct are, that way you get my experience and I get to actual see the proposal and make sure it is within the rules.

I want to see a list of interested members in this thread, including any host/co host

eg

1. xxxxx (Host)

2. yyyyy (Cohost)

3. zzzzz

Ok guys, we've been moved to the GB Chat pages, thanks to Mish and her assistance. My apologies again I did bit of a bloops...

OK, Mish has asked for a list of participants/vicitms and a co-host, so here we go....

1. Heloman (co-host)

2. Nobby57 (co-host), thanks Nobby

3. Moaning dolphin

4. Bootneck

5. Rodders154

6. Loft-full (?)

7. sniperUK

8. Paul J

9. Roof Rat

10. theplasticsurgeon

11. Flyboy72nd

12. martin hale

13. NAVY870

14. abat

15. Andrew Perren

16. Hockeyboy76

17. Perdu

18. Goirgio N

19. Caerbannog

20. hgbn

21. milktrip

22. Rob G

23. Grizzly

24. Paul Bradley

25. Mish

26. Tony O'Toole (?)

27 Navy Bird Bill

That's twenty two (21) of us thus far, if Loft-full is in. So thanks for everyone who has jumped at the chance. Mish has asked that we restrict it to just Wessex types, however I have asked if the H-34/HSS-1 Sikorsky types be included as this was the root of the Wessex and at least one of you is that way inclined.

Personally, I think we need to incude the Sikorsky types, so if you want to petition Mish, please do so. I would/am considering building both a Wessex and an H-34.

As to a timeframe, nothing deffinite as yet but I think we would only get onto the GB calendar next year 2016. So, plenty of time to get planning and stocking up with AM parts and decals.

So if you know of another BM'er who hasn't yet jumped in or might be interested, please do a bit of arm twisting and up the numbers.

Colin

Edited by heloman1
Corrected listing and no pertitioning Mish

Final.

There will be no Sikorsky types in the STGB if you want it to go ahead and there will be no petitioning Mish

It is way out of order to trying bulling me into allowing Sikorsky types

From Wikipedia

The Westland Wessex is a British-built turbine-powered development of the Sikorsky S-58 "Choctaw", it was developed and produced under license by Westland Aircraft (later Westland Helicopters). One of the main changes from Sikorsky's S-58 was the replacement of the piston-engine powerplant with a turboshaft engine; the Wessex was the first helicopter in the world to be produced in large numbers that made use of a gas turbine propulsion system.[1] Early models were powered by a single Napier Gazelle engine, later builds used a pair of Rolls-Royce Gnome engines.

The Wessex was initially produced for the Royal Navy (RN) and later for the Royal Air Force (RAF); a limited number of civilian aircraft were also produced, as well as some export sales. The Wessex operated as an anti-submarine warfare and utility helicopter; it is perhaps best recognised for its use as a search and rescue (SAR) helicopter. The type entered operational service in 1961, and had a service life in excess of 40 years before being retired in Britain.

This should be forming the rules as to the types allowed.

Also I have edited that last post to properly list the interested members as I asked.