1915 RNAS Short 184, Aeroclub, 1:72 - wings on!

Brandy

grahamwalker, on 14 Dec 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

I have to ask Just how on earth does the pilot see where he is going with that great big radiator in front of him? Cracking build btw

Since the primary mission of this aircraft is to fly directly at warships at extremely low level it would seem to be an advantage not to see the target shooting back at you...

• Like 4

Thanks for all the positive comments, they are much appreciated!

I think there was some very restricted forward vision through the radiator as the cooling fins were arranged longitudinally...good job they didn't need a fixed runway to land on!

I finished off the structural rigging today, including the much dreaded outer bay with its very unusual crossed-over rigging, and tied-up landing wires - Very pleased with the result! The landing wires were done by adding one line top-to-bottom at the outer struts, then tying another line around them at a measured distance from the bottom (fixed) point. A dot of ca to secure the knot in the correct place, then the wires were tensioned, held in place with my little dolls-house pegs, and secured with CA. Seems to have worked so I'll use a similar technique for the aileron rigging.

34845550873_068f35e118_c.jpg

35654687535_a7ae11159d_c.jpg

35524296971_64e27972c7_c.jpg

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 7

Thanks all, much appreciated!

I made a start on the port wings today. Got them together one hell of a lot quicker than the other side, painted the struts, and added the incidence wires. I hope to finish the rigging tomorrow, then I can clean up the upper wings, touch up the paint and get the decals on.

Ian

I finally managed to get the structural rigging completed today. It took a lot longer than anticipated, mainly because I kept having completed lines pop out and would then have to remove them, redrill the holes, and refit them. Hopefully they are all now secure....

35614980966_4df7e9ba05_c.jpg

Now on to tidying up the upper surfaces, repainting as necessary, and adding the decals. Then it will be the floats, and aileron rigging to complete the wings....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all,

I've finally managed to finish tidying up the wings after the rigging without pulling out any more lines (well, ok, I pulled out 3 more and fixed them, but no more since.....) The upper surfaces have been cleaned up and given a light spray over to hide any trace of the holes, and the decals are on.

35654705705_cd04be3d76_c.jpg

35654685895_21be362884_c.jpg

Tomorrow should see a bit of dulling down on the upper surface of the top wings, then a dull coat. Then it's "just" the aileron rigging to do.....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 5

I got back to this again today...I've been putting it off because I really wasn't looking forward to this job!

I punched out 12 1mm discs and then bent some PE control horns to make the pulleys for the aileron control cables...shown here next to the end of a toothpick....

35524295511_7be2b60cac_c.jpg

These were then fitted, along with unbent (I hope!) control horns and I am going to leave those overnight to ensure they are secure before a dab of paint and a start on threading them all to rig the things! (the spider has been called back from leave). One thing's certain, designers back then had NO sympathy for future model makers!

The ailerons on this aircraft were a little unusual as they had no upward movement! The pilot could deflect the upper ailerons downwards, and these, via cables and pulleys, would pull the lower ailerons down also. Rubber bungees attached to the lower ailerons would then return the whole setup back to the neutral position when control pressure (probably considerable) was released.

34813455524_52654bc9c5_c.jpg

Thanks for looking in, time for a pint after that lot!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 6