1915 RNAS Short 184, Aeroclub, 1:72 - wings on!

Brandy

I think I've finally got the torpedo finished - provided I don't knock bits off again! The cradle on the framework is finished, and I finally managed, at the 3rd attempt, to get the release mechanism done. It's a small piece of card, drilled at an angle for a piece of plastic rod. The card was also drilled to accept the wires that hold the torpedo in place. These are from 0.002" nickel-silver rod, which was briefly heated so it holds its shape, then curved around the torpedo. Each of the 2 pieces was CA'd in place, then the "release bracket" was threaded over one end and CA'd in place. When that was dry, the other ends of the wires were CA'd to the other side of the release bracket. It wasn't quite central so I removed the fins and reattached those to line up with the release mechanism - much easier than doing it the other way round! I then added 5 prop blades at the rear, and a small ring from heated brass rod at the front end. Not sure what this was for but it's in pics so I added it.

35654690735_1e86e29920_c.jpg

35267450200_2dce88ac61_c.jpg

34813457534_2b411cb993_c.jpg

Now I only hope I can paint the added parts without knocking anything off......I also touched up the tail pieces this afternoon so hopefully I should get that rigged soon and the torpedo mounted - that should keep it out of the way of my clumsy fingers!

Thanks for looking,

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

Ian

That's most likely a practice torpedo, they were designed to float after dropping and running, and were recovered for re-use. The ring would be used for securing and lifting the torpedo.

Practice torpedo with nose ring

17244368.jpg

One of HMAS Sydney’s distinctive ‘clinker’ built cutters recovering a practice torpedo.

Submarine recovery sequence photos

Thanks for that info Dave. In that case, the ring can come off! I'd assumed it was something to do with a fuse cover or some such which would be removed before flight.

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, all! I removed the ring on the torpedo and did manage to get the details painted today without knocking anything off! I'm working on rigging the tail at the moment, then I will fit the torpedo, and rig its attachments and the float struts.....

Ian

I've finished rigging the tail, at the second attempt. I used the same rigging material I've always used, (2lb test line at .005") which I know is overscale but looks OK, and for some reason this time it just looked way too thick......

35693952225_10fdff9f6e_c.jpg

so I removed it and replaced it with some 1.5lb line at .002" which is almost correct to scale.....

35306862300_b54e879df0_c.jpg

I think it looks much better so I'll stick to this in future, even though it's a pain to use - it's so thin I can't focus on it!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

Coming along nicely. Thanks for posting both photos of the different diameter rigging. Really useful. Definitely going to be .002 for me when I get around to rigging the Camel.

Cheers

She is now armed, if not particularly dangerous!

Torpedo fitted and the cradle and release mechanism rigged with .004" stainless steel wire:

35614973026_28e332ecc5_c.jpg

35654692645_4fb654a400_c.jpg

35524306771_7523ea6f62_c.jpg

I also made a start on the float rigging, adding the cross bracing:

35654659085_c76ec1aa6e_c.jpg

There are 3 fore-and-aft wires to add on each side of the floats and then they're done.

I was going to add more detail on the fuselage, but having looked through the DF I can't see any evidence of sunlight shining through and showing the formers, so the fuselage and tail decals can go on then maybe a little shadowing, followed by the rigging for the wing support stays, the windscreens, the centre section and its rigging, and the radiator, and that should be about it for the fuselage (doesn't sound too much if you say it quickly!) ...then onto the wings.......

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 3

That's really good work on the torpedo installation! Aeroclub really should re-issue this kit, there are so many variations of the basic design

Martin

Sergey, it certainly looks like a Scarff ring. Some later aircraft did carry armament so it's quite likely, although the earlier torpedo carriers could barely get airborne with both the torpedo and an observer, let alone the extra weight of the gun and mounting!

Ian

Sorry, I can't help there, I can't read it!

It could be a donation aircraft, or it may just be a comment about ballast being need in the rear cockpit or something similar. I think it may be peculiar to this one aircraft.

Ian

Thank's Troffa.

Can now assume the first word "Attention". Perhaps the Russian site Scalemodels.ru be held "duel" against Red White in the Civil War in Russia. I always fight for Whites, will build a Short-184 1/48 TC models, want to make a decal that were not only cockades and the tricolor, but the inscriptions on the fuselage. If you would be interested, open and assembly models in this forum.

Thanks to all!

I finally put a little colour on her today, in the form of the Union Flag and the tail decals. I was going to apply the build number too but when I tried to add them I realised I'd forgotten to seal them! Those have been reprinted and sealed and will be added soon. I have also added the rigging lines for the cabane struts, and finished rigging the floats. Additional details in the form of the tailplane struts and prop decals are also now in place.....

35614919406_b40b1cd572_c.jpg

35524269411_92910f8233_c.jpg

35485899682_ab9b791760_c.jpg

I had to fettle the rudder a little before adding the decals as the gap which should be very evident between the rudder and the top of the tailplane, wasn't there! I sanded the top and both lower edges to let it sit a little higher and now have a gap as it should have. It's only resting in place for the pics and won't be fitted permanently until the aircraft number is added.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 3

I continued searching and found a Canadian guy posted a photo of his grandfather:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30993&page=2&hl=short-184#entry1945404

~11k2tYvAn.jpg
I edited it a bit, the inscription on the fuselage: WARNING LOAD NOT TO LARGE 1600Lb

I do not know much English. Please tell me, this phrase sounds correctly?