Over The Top, Model cellar 1/9

Eludia

Hey again folks,

This is a bust I completed just before Christmas for my local IPMS club Christmas competition, he got 2nd place which I was mightily chuffed with considering the quality of the other work on show from the aircraft and armour modellers, not forgetting the pesky ship diorama that got 1st place (well deserved I may add, it was a cracking diorama and even made last month's Airfix mag).

Anyhoo, the bust is from Model Cellar and is entitled Over The Top. He is sold as a Captain of The Gloucester Regt but I've reworked him slightly to depict a Captain of The Norfolk Regt, to give him a more local feel. The base and cap badge were purchased seperately and the barbed wire, poppy and parchment were scratch built. He is painted mostly in water mixable oils over acrylic base coat with the exception of the helmet which was airbrushed in acrylics so that I could try some chipping effects for the first time.

Comments and critique are most welcome, as always, for both the model and the photography (I'm still learning, as I'm sure we all are)

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

Thanks for tuning in.

Cheers,

Billy

• Like 8

Comments; Excellent,

critique ; Can't find any, see above

Seriously can't fault it, looks amazing

wow....that is excellent and very very, moving, hats off to you chap

Smashing piece of work.

Thanks for your kind comments guys.

Cheers,

Billy

as an aside, If any of you get the chance go to Essex Farm it's a very thoughtful place.

It's just ( I think ) north of Ypres, and is where John Mcrae wrote In Flanders Fields at the the Advance Dressing Station, the bunkers are still there, complete with unusual ( for bunkers ) slanted walls for stacking the stretchers against....sad

• Like 1

Thanks Vee although I can't take full credit for the composition. I was inspired by an excellent version of this bust painted by Gerard Rubio (Tarracus), a regular contributor to Planetfigure and a painter at the top of his game. He kindly gave me his blessing to "borrow" his idea for the poppy/barbed wire combo.

Cheers,

Billy :)

Thanks Francie, I followed a SBS posted on PlanetFigure for the parchment, it was originally intended for making nameplates for bases and is one of those great techniques that gives good effect for not much effort.

1. Use a word processor to produce and print your design, cream paper works well and is what I used here.

2. Stick the printout to some metal foil backing using double sided tape. Foil food containers are ideal, the type you get for ready meals and the like.

3. Trim to size.

4. Make some small random cuts round the edge using side cutters, try to avoid symmetry. These can be folded/curled to suit

5. Shape the folds, something round like a paintbrush or brass rod is helpful here. Just put the aforementioned round object on your bench and press the foil backed paper over it (a bit like crash moulding)

6. Shade/weather with oil paints. Burnt Umber scrubbed into the folds and Yellow Ochre on top of the folds in this case, use tiny amounts and scrub the paint in well with an old scabby brush (don't use your finest Series 7 brushes for this)

7. Prime and paint the rear (shiny metal bit). Priming can be done before step 2.

8. Once you are happy, flood the whole lot with Klear to seal everything (no need to wait for the oil paint to dry)

9. Sit down and have a beer while the varnish cures.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is.

Cheers,

Billy :)

• 2 weeks later...

On a side note, I took this piece along to Peterborough yesterday and it got a Highly Commended. I'm chuffed (and really surprised, if I'm completely honest, given some of the stuff on show).

• 7 months later...

I was persuaded to blow the dust off this one for one last show by my club mates so I put it into the bust category at Southwell earlier this month. I was speechless when it won the category, and even more surprised to find out that it got Best In Show (Military). I am mighty pleased to say the least, although I thought there were a lot more deserving pieces than this one, both in the comp and on the club tables.

• Like 1