Austro-Hungarian Albatross - Glencoe 1/48 joint build

Following in the long modelling tradition of never finishing one build before starting another. My son Dylan and I are finally getting our collective finger out and joining this GB, without having completed our previous builds !

We shall be trying to form the resemblance of an Albatross from the misformed, salmon pink shaped blobs provided by Glencoe models.

The aircraft itself was Austria- Hungary's own version and the was good enough not to need updating as the German one did for later marks.

We have been given permission to both build one of these each but for different WW1 Austria-Hungarian aces,

Photos to follow.

Cheers Pat & Dylan

• Like 2

Ok pictures as promised

imagejpg1_zps3682deba.jpg

imagejpg2_zps1c846fe8.jpg

imagejpg3_zps0499ed08.jpg

imagejpg4_zps34a4b134.jpg

There will be a number of firsts on this build for us, rigging is something I have read about but have never tried and wood effect is another thing that looks terrifying but if you don't try these things then you never know.

Sorry no progress tonight, Dylan is off to cubs, but we shall keep you up to date with progress

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat and Dylan.

Unless I'm mistaken, these two should be the earliest aircraft in the GB. Should be good :)

Cliff

Hi Cliff

And probably the last to be finished !

It should be good fun. The contingency plan if I make a complete horlicks of the wood effect is paint it red like Dylan's one, and deny all knowledge of the previous colour scheme : )

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Well my old friend. About time you got off your west highland backside and made a fine aircraft.

I am looking forward to this one....

I assume the young lad will do most of the hard work :coolio:

Are the West Highlands anywhere near Argyle???

My family roots are there...but careful...they are Campbells!

Cheers

Bruce

PS good luck with that rigging stuff!

Bye the way...that whole skull thing going on with the decals

Awesome....

• Like 1

Hi Bruce

Great to hear from you, yes we are in Argyll, deep in Campbell country, so we avoid going to Glencoe etc just to be on the safe side.

If you are looking for a fine aircraft, Dylan is your man, if you want something that leaves a lot to be desired, I'm over qualified.

The quality of the kit is, picks word carefully at this point, basic. Now in modelling speak you could put a positive spin saying its a blank canvas leaving the modeller to add their own details and enhancements. Or you could be honest and say it looks like it was made in the dark, by Stevie Wonder, with one hand tied behind his back just to be on the safe side !

However it will give both of us a chance to learn new things, and the kits didn't cost much, so it's going to be a challenge to see who loses their patience and snaps first, the smart money will be on Dylan to finish !

Cheers Pat