Curtiss O-52 Owl, Red Army, Pavla, 1/72

JWM

Hi,

I have to confess, that I have not heard about this machine until I saw Pavla kit in a model shop.... This is Curtiss observation airplane, O-52 Owl. One can read more about this US countrpartner to Lysander on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_O-52_Owl. So, 203 were build, out of that number some about 20 were flying in Soviet army within a Lend-Lease project.

Markings are taken from profile in wing palette web page, presents airplane belonging to 42nd OKAE (Independend Observation Squadron) 7th (Soviet) Air Army bsed near Segezha in May 1943.

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

o52 DSC03546o52 DSC03545o52 DSC03544

o52 DSC03547

o52 DSC03548

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 20

Hi Jerzy!!!

I have a soft spot for the liason/lightplanes or "Sheeps with wolf clothes" as I like to call this type of planes, as have some L4/L5/L19/Wilga/Islander/Defender/Cessna 172/Bonanza/Aero Subaru........but have never seen this one, so hope to find at least one any day to add to the collection to build a russian example as yours,or better if two or three in case I liked the plane to do it again once more time.

Yours, asure of show stopper in any contest and nicely done example with a nice finish and well chosen version, looks so wonderful to replicate that if I had not had all those boxes in my stash would be the angular stone in a new build collection dealing with reconaissance and Observation/Liaison planes.

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Thank you Gentelmen for nice comments :)

I do wish they would re-release it so I can do the Soviet version, as you've done here.

Yes, Jason, I hope that AZ will re-relese it with improvments. The Soviet markings were in the box, but not exactly those which I made.

I'd heard about the aircraft but didn't know the Soviets operated them.

Do not worry Pete, about 30 items which were originaly sent, out of which only about 20 reached ports of destination were just a small droplet among the sea of some 17 000 airplanes sent in L-L project to USSR. So one can forget :)

I have a soft spot for the liason/lightplanes ...

Luis, I have also a kind of feeling, that now, after all those years of doing models only of military airplanes, the less mashine guns equipped subjects became more interesting to me than heavy armed ones...

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Wow- I don't think I have ever seen one of these built before- very nice job on a butt-ugly airplane, JWM! (That having been said, I'm still glad I got rid of the one I had.) The O-47A I got in trade wasn't much prettier, truth be told, but at least it was a monoplane with retractable landing gear!) If I ever around to it, it's going to be an ANG airplane in OD/neutral grey with red crosses as applied during the Carolina War Games.)

Mike

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_O-47#/media/File:North_American_O-47B_1941.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very well done J-W, the kit is definitely on my wants list now. 

Thanks, maybe it is not that easy to buy now...

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Wow- I don't think I have ever seen one of these built before- very nice job on a butt-ugly airplane, JWM! (That having been said, I'm still glad I got rid of the one I had.) The O-47A I got in trade wasn't much prettier, truth be told, but at least it was a monoplane with retractable landing gear!) If I ever around to it, it's going to be an ANG airplane in OD/neutral grey with red crosses as applied during the Carolina War Games.)

Mike

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_O-47#/media/File:North_American_O-47B_1941.jpg

Thank you. The O-47 (AML kit) is still in my stash, I wanted to do her from anti submarine patrols, with depth charge (s). BTW - I think O 52s were also used for that.

8 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Beautiful!

Saluti

Giampiero

Mille gracie!

8 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Nice work - the offspring of a Lysander and a Wildcat!

Thanks, indeed, a sort of .... :) Or Lysender and Grumman F3F?

6 hours ago, tonyot said:

Nice,.... I never knew the Soviets used them,...... so I`ve learned something too mate.

Thank you. The Soviets were important user of them.  On Wing Palette there are 6 schemes shown (plus one more civil). The US schemes are also interesting  and it is said that  was also used in Brasil, but I never seen any photo only speculative profile.  

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 72modeler said:

The O-47A I got in trade wasn't much prettier, truth be told, but at least it was a monoplane with retractable landing gear!

In fact, BOTH the O-47 and the O-52 are retractable-gear monoplanes. The difference is that the O-52 is a high-wing monoplane while the O-47 is a low-wing one :)

Cheers

Michael 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KRK4m said:

In fact, BOTH the O-47 and the O-52 are retractable-gear monoplanes.

You are, of course, correct. Major brain flatulence, I'm afraid!

Mike

• Like 2

Very nice job!

Nice to see the less familiar types like this one.

Your skills are clearly more than sufficient for a kit of this type.

Congratulations 👍👍

• Thanks 1

Gents, many thanks for comments :) 

I believe that AZ will re-issue it as they did with many former Pavla kits... 

Regards

J-W