Italeri Westland Wessex UH.5 (Oops HU.5) 1/48

stalal

With the exception of a few touch ups, the painting is almost complete. I have used kit's camouflage pattern. I dont know how accurate (if at all!) this pattern is. But since I dont have a good reference, I will go by what I have. Its all freehand. No masks were used.

QBir7SS.jpg

jFHyB20.jpg

93VJhVU.jpg

9jY4eSM.jpg

These are kit decals. Barring a few, I dont intend to use this sheet. The decals have thick lettering and most of what you can make of the written words seems like a language from another planet.  Even the RAF roundel color is so off! I mean, how difficult it is get the color right in today's world?!

Hwe9pCd.jpg

So I will borrow decals from following three sheets. 

r8l3tlV.jpg

55eUc5p.jpg

Zv0mz9y.jpg

Edited by stalal
  • Like 3

The camo pattern is looking good. However, re the kit decals, remember you are dealing with Italeri, if they can get it wrong, they will! It has taken them five releases of the Wessex/H-34to get some of the basic details correct!

Acadamy with their H-43 kit got the advise of a crew chief on the type. It shows, the kit is a beauty. OK, it's not highly detailed but there is enough reference out there to turn it into a very nice model.

Incidentally, I worked on Wessex HUMk5's for a number of years and I have amassed a lot of reference. I'm building five of various marks. Italeri did not make the job easy!!!!

Colin

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year 2022! 

The project that started in Feb 2015 is almost coming to a close. 

Decaling is almost done. 

AdKAdJE.jpg

oMqlyt1.jpg

x0pYdvW.jpg

Now its the rotor. The leading edge is painted with Surfacer 500. Then painted Gunze H-77 Rubber Black.   

Mopqkxg.jpg

PxvstO1.jpg

wkKvMZA.jpg

The only decal left is the serial number which is horribly wrong in the kit. So I have used Xtradecal sheet 48044 to create the serial with correct lettering.

52LsIJ3.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...