Italeri Westland Wessex UH.5 (Oops HU.5) 1/48

stalal

After a long time!! 

As I had been working on different projects. In between I moved homes, Photobucket changed its policies and this project, though not abandoned got lost in events of life! 

In my new place, although bigger, I dont have dedicated space for my hobby cave. Hence I had been working in a makeshift workshop. 

On to the project. 

I m slowly moving toward completing the cockpit of the aircraft. The fuselage halves were glued as loading/passenger compartment was finished in previous posts. 

pcVFqeU.jpg

The front of the fuselage is now in place. 

28l3KqC.jpg

The bottom of the fuselage is also in place now 

rUjM4sj.jpg

The vent provided in Eduard set, although intricately detailed has some size issues as do almost all Eduard parts. So I will remove it and cut it to size so that it fits properly 

k1qGbHm.jpg

Italeri kit windows dont sit flush in the window cut outs. The kit also does not represent the rubber sealing around the windows. In order to  create the rubber sealing I m looking to wound the thinnest Evergreen plastic rod around the windows. Lets see how it goes. 

L86P7xB.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Back to this build after a long time. 

I had built the inner frame of the cockpit as its very visible in the real helicopter. So in order to pain it, windows from inside have to be masked. In order to do that, I drew out the outline of the frame from outside so that while masking I could see where the frame is. 

upzYvUq.jpg

Then the glazing is masked from inside

N4A6eko.jpg

CjgvaQp.jpg

After this, details are added inside the canopy for final assembly. Some details are scratch built like the fire extinguisher and that lever on the right side of the overhead control panel. 

KskM9bT.jpg

m8hyuxJ.jpg

I keep coming back to this build and at the same time feel like throwing this kit in the trash. It has been a tough one to build and that is why it is taking me so long to complete it. 

Just one example of this frustration is alignment of cockpit glazing with the body. The window frames converge in as the two halves of fuselage are aligned to rear bulkhead. When its time to put the glazing on, it is wider than the fuselage. So if its aligned at one side, its off at the other. The same issue is at front bottom of the part where is a huge gaping hole to fill out. 

BnOYBQ1.jpg

icFoDQq.jpg

Its things like this one that keeps delaying this build and interest wanes for a long period. 

• Like 3

When you/I consider that NO Italeri Wessex is much like a Wessex (or H34) you can stop beating yourself up about it

Looks very good for an Italeri.

Good internal details, just use a little filler on the screen edges

Keep it coming

👍

• Like 1

just be thankful you are not building the heritage aviation resin one. this was the window fit (not the worst of the problems either!)

32224769482_f7c2703520_c.jpg

A little bit o' plasticard and filler should sort your nicely.

The rest of the build so far looks really good! dont give up.

• Like 2

I have started to fill those huge, almost embarrassing gaps for a modern day kit. 

nuqrIP4.jpg

VJdeZYB.jpg

Eduard sets for this kit add some nice details but dont know what exactly they measured when they designed those details. They are invariably over sized. So need a filler there too! 

kyHo4u3.jpg

As if the kit itself was not enough to deal with, the aftermarket details too are adding to the time and effort on this project. 

In ways it is satisfying as well as this build has honed my skills and thinking of how to deal with these challenges is exciting at the same time. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I have been working on this project and the progress has been slow. As you can understand, adding these little details is time consuming. 

The eyelet hooks on rotor head 

vXSoTnN.jpg

started their life as small shavings from thin plastic sheet. The hole was drilled with a 0.3 mm drill bit. 

2mVoVvY.jpg

glPOEPt.jpg

The missing pins on the rotors were made using thin Evergreen plastic rod. This is not the end for the rotor head and rotor blades. Looking at A+ book as reference, it looks like there are more details that I plan to add. 

JE32FqJ.jpg

tIWULrX.jpg

Some more details on the fuselage. 

SAoUOCe.jpg

Details on the struts with brake lining and mounting bolts. Some details are too minute to be in focus.  

5y3r5Y0.jpg

qN5N3fs.jpg

UKAYUmW.jpg

After filling, the side under the windscreen looking much better. Still some work needed. 

3QBNsq8.jpg

• Like 2

Stalal, most of the decals on that sheet are useless.   as well as the Danger being too big, so are the Fire panels (they are huge!). and there are several mis-spellings. ( 'no and hold' instead of 'no hand hold'  and 'loched' instead of 'locked' are a couple that springs to mind)

I bought mine from a company in the far east.  It was a set dedicated to 28 Sqn and of course I can't quite remember their name off hand.  There are a few other 1/48 sets out there.

one piece of advice though - check against photographic evidence for size, color and placement before you actually apply any of the italeri decals

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hendie said:

Stalal, most of the decals on that sheet are useless.   as well as the Danger being too big, so are the Fire panels (they are huge!). and there are several mis-spellings. ( 'no and hold' instead of 'no hand hold'  and 'loched' instead of 'locked' are a couple that springs to mind)

I bought mine from a company in the far east.  It was a set dedicated to 28 Sqn and of course I can't quite remember their name off hand.  There are a few other 1/48 sets out there.

one piece of advice though - check against photographic evidence for size, color and placement before you actually apply any of the italeri decals

Hendie, 

It should be this one. 

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/2tdgsv7iabwmuryccnlm.html

Its still available. Please let me know if this decal sheet has stencils. It has the DANGER sign there. If it has stencils, I will buy it. 

The more I look at the decals in the kit, the more suspect I become of their accuracy. 

I m planning a camouflaged HU5 based in Cyprus. 

12 minutes ago, stalal said:

Please let me know if this decal sheet has stencils. It has the DANGER sign there. If it has stencils, I will buy it. 

I don't think it has the stencils - I made those up from other spare sheets

I do remember I used the exhaust warning rings from that as Italeris weren't good enough.  I also used all the fire panel stencils although I think I cut the white down a touch

2 minutes ago, hendie said:

I don't think it has the stencils - I made those up from other spare sheets

I do remember I used the exhaust warning rings from that as Italeris weren't good enough.  I also used all the fire panel stencils although I think I cut the white down a touch

I think I should get it as it has other decals that look like are common across Wessex versions. Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Been slow over the holidays. 

Started adding smaller details to the port side of the fuselage 

d2oWbmt.jpg

Some more small details like grab handles and photoetch parts around the fuselage.

68dZbT2.jpg

zzCLwWv.jpg

Looking at the pictures for reference, this pipe like thing is a bit short. 

hFOMWQS.jpg

As far as I have observed, this part should end up at the front where it currently is. So I will need some Evergreen plastic rod ti fill this gap. 

2t0QdcA.jpg

Some more details added where they shouldnt be missing. 

PoxOIYf.jpg  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I never gave up on this project.

Its just that the complexity and challenges I have encountered building this kit, lets me wander to finish other projects. 

When I stopped last, I had this challenge to get the shape of the grill at the front sorted out. The kit part is rounded. In every picture, the oblong frame of the intake is flat with grill underneath it. 

So I cut the frame from its inner joints. I tried the plastic mesh first. It would not shape properly.

fX76AzP.jpg

I tried Eduard part. It did not fit properly either. And it was so thick that it obscured the ribs of the frame which are slightly visible in real aircraft. 

I tried to cut the frame from plastic sheet. It did not work for me either. 

d1qq3OM.jpg 

In frustration, I left the project to sit and gather dust. Then I found some months ago that Aber has photo etch mesh in different patterns. I got hold of one. I cut the mesh using Eduard part as a guide. Then I glued the cut out part to the ribs. I then used aluminum tape to cut out the outer frame of the inlet.  

1PQDvJA.jpg

The final results looks more realistic.  

T3dakbU.jpg

Just the right shape in profile as well.

n9aUSnE.jpg

• Like 9

• 5 weeks later...

Its a Great project  love the Wessex   think it has so much style,  I have been lucky enough as a Teenager to sit inside the cabin  with a school work experience trip  and have one of the staff talking to us about the wessex, it was a RN SAR HU.5   version, can't remember much though  remember the fold down seats with  the  similar backs to the Chinook.

Erk.

I admire your stamina with this build. It is paid off, the progress looks really good. I hope you have enough steam to finish it off. The Wessex is my second favourite helo. Cheers Neil

• Like 1

Need some help from experts here. 

I seem to have got the colors right, at least in the description.

uFsBNHh.jpg

When I put them on, they seem to be a bit dark. Calling on experts to weigh in with their opinion. 

2KxdArp.jpg

8OtqmxV.jpg

2 hours ago, neilspen said:

I admire your stamina with this build. It is paid off, the progress looks really good. I hope you have enough steam to finish it off. The Wessex is my second favourite helo. Cheers Neil

Thank you for the kind comments. Yes, this kit has been a test of patience.