1/72 Airfix Do17Z & Defiant Dogfight Double - or A Rake's Work in Progress - Pic Heavy

Looks like Airfix have engineered the Dornier way better than the way ICM dealt with their Do215, a dreadful beast that has languished uncompleted in my room for many years and is unlikely to ever be completed.

Now you tell me, I think I just ordered the ICM 215. Just so we can avoid this in the future, how about you give me a list of all other model kits you know of that are classified as dreadful beasts. :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

Now you tell me, I think I just ordered the ICM 215. Just so we can avoid this in the future, how about you give me a list of all other model kits you know of that are classified as dreadful beasts. :)

Cheers,

Bill

There's a man with a stash out of control when he thinks he has ordered an ac.... what was it you said you had bill 400+? I think there needs to be a recount on that vote

Rob

• Like 1

There's a man with a stash out of control when he thinks he has ordered an ac.... what was it you said you had bill 400+? I think there needs to be a recount on that vote

Rob

How am I supposed to remember these things? It's not like it was yesterday - it was last week...I think.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

I have no desire to count the number of kits in the stash, no good could come of it.

However, I can never un-hear of Wing Leader books. Don't know what to do about that. The shipping costs to the states is almost as much as the books themselves, but still I ponder. The 303 Sqn books look amazing too.

Oh, and nice progress Stew! Excellent detail work on the interior and crew.

• Like 3

I keep track of mine because, well, er, I don't know. I'm anal I guess. Plus, I made it public so everybody can share in my fiscal irresponsibility. :)

Stash

Not all of my books, decal sheets, photoetch, and resin have been catalogued. Someday.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

I keep track of mine because, well, er, I don't know. I'm anal I guess. Plus, I made it public so everybody can share in my fiscal irresponsibility. :)

Stash

Not all of my books, decal sheets, photoetch, and resin have been catalogued. Someday.

Cheers,

Bill

Mine is more or less catalogued as well. Some omissions due to forgetfulness/laziness.

• Like 1

Looks like Airfix have engineered the Dornier way better than the way ICM dealt with their Do215, a dreadful beast that has languished uncompleted in my room for many years and is unlikely to ever be completed.

My books arrived today, haven't had a chance to thumb through them yet as dog and I had to go and make the most of the glorious sunshine here in Pictland.

Duncan B

Yes, I've never even seen the ICM Dornier 215 but its engineering is legendary :hanging:

Glad you had some quality time with the hound, it was a lovely day for it, we spent an hour wandering the north-western corner of Dundee, we are still finding our way around and there are many things Jack has not yet urinated on :D

bravo Stew, exemplary work. They're both looking very good.

The Airfix instructions are evidently correct. Perhaps they'll do a special Dummies version for me :fool:

Stu

Thanks Stu; well the instructions are right but it does little for your confidence in Airfix when they look so wrong... I mean there must be a reason they did it like that in the first place but I still cannot see what it was... :huh: ... however I am going to have to start trusting Airfix a bit more in future :blush:

Hey Stew, thanks for the heads up on a few things.

It may help me in the future building this kit.

Looking forward to seeing more of this build.

Simon.

Thanks very much Simon, it's going pretty well so far - the Dogfight Dornier will be a much simpler build seeing as I won't have to worry about the undercarriage or bomb-bay which make up a lot of parts... but that was one of the reasons I thought I'd do the other one with the landing gear and bomb-bay interior fitted, so I would get the full experience :D

You are doing a great job Stew.

If a crew member ate baked beans or onions there would be trouble, there isn't much room in that cockpit.

Stephen

Stephen, I reckon you would all have to be pretty good mates, it would be like spending your working day in a beach-hut with a greenhouse roof :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

My kit stash is pretty restrained I think, at a guess I would say sixty-odd kits (though I have a feeling if I actually counted them it would come to significantly more than that, but ignorance can be more blissful than you might imagine).

The vast majority of my decal stash will outlive me unless I start building like a machine :work:

Almost all the aftermarket stash directly relates to kits in the kit stash, so I am not particularly concerned about that.

I have no desire to count the number of kits in the stash, no good could come of it.

However, I can never un-hear of Wing Leader books. Don't know what to do about that. The shipping costs to the states is almost as much as the books themselves, but still I ponder. The 303 Sqn books look amazing too.

Oh, and nice progress Stew! Excellent detail work on the interior and crew.

Thanks Cookie, and sorry about the book plugs... is there no US distributor for these? They're a bit of 'an investment' even without shipping charges :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

The vast majority of my decal stash will outlive me unless I start building like a machine :work:

Cheers,

Stew

I'm happy to admit to OCDC, obsessive compulsive decal collecting, There is a rational to it though. I can generally find a kit I want, but getting that special art work when the decals are no longer available, well...........:D

Steve.

• Like 4

Stash

Cheers,

Bill

Mine is more or less catalogued as well. Some omissions due to forgetfulness/laziness.

Oh no, another website to keep updated... I feel inextricably drawn to this because of MY OCD very tidy mind.

Others might want to join here https://www.scalemates.com/register.php.

I might publish mine later (when I get a round tuit, available at http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/?_nkw=a+round+tuit&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&clk_rvr_id=779779516825&rmvSB=true

How do you enter a link that's associated with text (without entering code?)

How do you enter a link that's associated with text (without entering code?)

Do you see the little formatting options above your text field when you type? One should be a little chain-link (or a tiny grey peanut, I guess) with a green circle containing a white plus sign next to it. If you highlight a word you want to link and click on that button, it will let you paste your link in a box and will link your text. Possibly a bad explanation, I've just woken up and have overslept badly, racing to the train.

• Like 2

Greif! that cockpit is staggering! the engineering of these new Airfix offerings is really impressive.

At risk of showing my age, I used to be happy if there was a seat! Floor and instrument panel was akin to super detail....

• Like 1

I'm happy to admit to OCDC, obsessive compulsive decal collecting, There is a rational to it though. I can generally find a kit I want, but getting that special art work when the decals are no longer available, well........... :D

Steve.

Steve, hammer/nailhead - direct hit. Also enables you to buy stuff without feeling that you are simply increasing the stash :whistle:

Greif! that cockpit is staggering! the engineering of these new Airfix offerings is really impressive.

At risk of showing my age, I used to be happy if there was a seat! Floor and instrument panel was akin to super detail....

Then we might well be similar ages Fred; a sort of plastic bench jutting from the fuselage wall for the pilot to sit on was what we usually got :fraidnot:

Anyway at the risk of freaking Fred out further, the instrument panel decals - multicolour no less - will most likely be enough for most people, though I am sure Eduard and Yahu have etched panels on the way if you want to go the full Monty -_-

DSCN2531.jpg

This is the bomb-bay access door, note that it needs to be fitted before you add the wings; after would make it "interesting" to say the least:

DSCN2532.jpg

I masked the window on this one on the inside, as I have to give the rear cockpit bulkhead a blast of RLM02 as it will be visible through the bomb-bay opening; so I might as well paint this door from the inside rather than outside.

Here are the IPs fitted, I painted mine in RLM66-ish grey, but after adding the decals found that Airfix recommend RLM02 for this. I wish I had done that in a way, as it would have provided a greater contrast and made the decal more visible. As for correctness, it looks like there is evidence for both RLM02 and 66 being used for the IP so it's up to the conscience of the individual, I'd say :D

DSCN2537.jpg

Note that a couple of tiny parts of the top of the panel are visible, and will need a dab of paint to cover that. Once all that was done, since Dornier 1 is having a closed bomb-bay, I decided to fit the top upper wing. The fit at the front was good, at the back less so, though that may be my fault, as my attention was on the front of the wing which required a little pressure to keep the join closed until the PlasticWeld set. I applied filler to the back join and will attend to this later (the join isn't that bad by the way, I just slapped on too much filler as usual):

DSCN2541.jpg

Finally I de-sprued and cleaned up the lower wing parts, and added the landing gear bay bulkheads - I want to get this as together as possible before I spray the bomb-bay of Dornier 2, to avoid duplication of airbrush cleaning efforts :lol: :

DSCN2539.jpg

There is still some more assembly I can do of the engine nacelles/gear bays, so that will be next followed by the RLM02 application.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

I want to get this as together as possible before I spray the bomb-bay of Dornier 2, to avoid duplication of airbrush cleaning efforts :lol:

Blimey, do I know how you feel there. I'm obviously still getting my "system" down, but so far I've been spending 3-4x as long cleaning my airbrush as I have been actually applying paint with it. I think in some ways it's because I have the mental obstacle of "finish one model before you start another" but I think I finally cracked that. While I'm still only painting one at a time for the moment (and have entirely abandoned the idea of using acrylic primer anymore - back to Tamiya rattle cans for me) I'm making progress at getting more of a mass production system going.

Your build is going great and it's making me hanker for a Do-17! I'm gearing up to do the "RAFWaffe" collection soon, but I have decals coming out of my ears for German and Romanian 109s so I need to do a bunch of those first. This is very inspiring keeping me on track with that!

Stew this is looking great... I may printout some of your pictures and hang them on the wall in place of my feeble attempts.

I have now documented my stash and, thanks to the clever Mr P, can give you a tidy link to here.

Pathetic number of boxes.

Must try harder.

My dream is that someday somebody will do a series of decal sheets called "Made in Germany/Italy/Japan, Finished in X", entirely of Axis aircraft shot down in various theaters.

Rising Decals already produces several sets in both 1/72 and 1/48 in their 'Under New Management" series. Some, however, are sold out. See here:

http://www.rising.risingdecals.com/

And LF Models produces many decals of individual aircraft in "indentured servitude":

http://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_42_62

Strange, but we seem to have the same tastes in aircraft models. Why is that, young grasshopper?

I'm compelled to imitate the most handsome person in the room.

Rising Decals already produces several sets in both 1/72 and 1/48 in their 'Under New Management" series. Some, however, are sold out. See here:

http://www.rising.risingdecals.com/

And LF Models produces many decals of individual aircraft in "indentured servitude":

http://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_42_62

I've seen those, and I like the idea, but I hunger specifically for aircraft shot down, rather than captured as prizes of war.

• Like 2

Sorry for highjacking the thread Stew but I've been doing a bit more research (??) on stashes. Well, the ones I can see on scalemates.com.

I was, of course, impressed by the size of Mr P's and Navy Bird's stashes (218 and 445 respectively). Mine is pathetic at 17. But then I only (re)started recently. That's my excuse. I'm trying, OK?

But then I looked at their completed - 44 and 56! Mine is 25 (completed kits - focus, focus). That made me think I should calculate some kind of ratio... I have a software company that provides advanced analytic solutions so, of course, I got out my pencil (you can draw your own graphs!).

So my completion ratio is 25:17.

Mr P's 44:218 > 22:109.

Navy Bird's 56:445 > 22:176.

What can we see from this? Well nothing, of course, it's just numbers. But my wife (who also, sometimes, buys things she doesn't use) did comment "You might get run over by a bus tomorrow". I think (hope) this was a comment on the fact that a) you should enjoy yourself while you're here B) you should get some kits built - life is short or c) "Have you got your life insurance sorted".

Whatever.

Scalemates has / will, though, increased my wish list as I go through other people's stashes / completions and say "Ooh, that's nice, want one of those". Click. Soon, I too will be a stash addict. It's infectious.

Coincidently, "I might get run over by a bus tomorrow" was one of the replacement stickers in the kit I bought to go over those "Smoking kills" panels on my cigar packets (I vape now so nuh!). Other (non-PC) stickers (they were in one of my Man drawers):

It's OK if you're drunk

Live fast, die young.

Smoking makes you look sexy.

Smoking makes you look big and clever.

Smoking is cool.

Social smoking doesn't count.

You will get fat if you stop smoking.

Buy your own fags.

For our US friends 'fags' in this context means 'cigarettes'. Boy, has that got me into trouble in the US before!

And, interestingly, the penultimate one may have something to it. Less smokers, more obesity. Or is that just a correlation?

Enough.

• Like 3

That is some seriously prolific building, PC! I'll have to count my stash but so far I have ... um ... well ... I have zero completed. But that's only been about two months since I even started buying tools and kits again, so hopefully that number starts to grow by orders of magnitude throughout the rest of the year.

• Like 1