1/72 Airfix Do17Z & Defiant Dogfight Double - or A Rake's Work in Progress - Pic Heavy

I've been itching to start this since it arrived a couple of weeks ago:

DSCN2459.jpg

... at least I think that is what has been causing the itching :blush:

The surprisingly large box is stuffed pretty full;

DSCN2468.jpg

It was a bit fuller than that, but the first thing I did was sling those horrid little pots of paint and the tiny tubes of glue :devil: since I will be using these instead:

DSCN2466.jpg

I bought the RAF set for my Defiant nightfighters; the Luftwaffe paint sets... well what can I say, I like buying paints and decal sets and stuff which absolutely does not count as stash ;) and I wanted some acrylics to lower the environmental smell as far as possible.

I also got these:

DSCN2462.jpg

The Peewit masks were a bit over a fiver; I am quite capable of masking canopies reasonably well, but when presented with the opportunity to buy a canopy mask set I have to ask myself: "Would I pay that much money to get out of having to do it myself?" The answer almost invariably seems to be "Too right I would!" though I am glad that Peewit and Montex are providing a bit of competition for Eduard in this respect because frankly Eduard's prices for pre-cut Kabuki tape shapes had reached the point where I felt they were just taking the mickey; I hope that some credible competition might reverse their pricing process until it reaches a more agreeable level.

As for the AML camo mask set - three and a half quid. Still feels like cheating a bit, but again, it is something I am capable of doing so really it is just a time saver. That's my feeble justification and I am sticking to it :D

So my first task I think will be masking the Do17's clear parts, as I am keen to get that out of the way... <_<

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 20

Look forward to seeing this one Stew. You built your two Defiants quickly without time saving devices such as masks. I'll look forward to seeing them in RFI tomorrow evening lol!

• Like 2

Hey Stix, nice to have you along :)

Mark, I will be using the display stand and building the kits 'gear up', so that will save a bit of time too... but finished tomorrow? :D Naah!

Hi Noah, grab yourself a seat mate :)

Bruce! Glad you could make it, thanks :D

Cheers,

Stew

Personally I've been itching because my cat has fleas. God I hate the little parasites. Looking forward to seeing the Do 17 build Stew, May Goering not guide your hand for he shall lead you astray :shutup:

Edited by Tempestwulf
  • Like 2

I have the Dornier and have managed to resist starting it so far.... I read a review where this kit was praised highly so look forward to seeing how it goes together. I take it the Defiant will be in the Day fighter scheme this time.....

• Like 1

Looking like this will be one to follow, mate. I'm interested to see how you get on with those Hataka paints. I've never heard of those before, so I'm curious how they work out.

I'm also a bit envious because the flipping new tool Defiant is not available in the US yet and I'm ready to build one. Very ready. :giles:

• Like 1

The Peewit masks were a bit over a fiver; I am quite capable of masking canopies reasonably well, but when presented with the opportunity to buy a canopy mask set I have to ask myself: "Would I pay that much money to get out of having to do it myself?" The answer almost invariably seems to be "Too right I would!" though I am glad that Peewit and Montex are providing a bit of competition for Eduard in this respect because frankly Eduard's prices for pre-cut Kabuki tape shapes had reached the point where I felt they were just taking the mickey; I hope that some credible competition might reverse their pricing process until it reaches a more agreeable level.

Well said Stew, I am hoping we will see some more diversity in the realm of masking products.

Looking forward to this build up. :)

• Like 2

I haven't heard of Hataka paints, either. They sound Japanese, are they? Water or solvent based? Acrylic or petroleum medium? Oh, skip the chemistry class, are they marketed as acrylic or enamel? :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

This should be good! :popcorn: Although I already have two Defiant kits and a Dornier, something keeps telling me to go and buy this set, if only for my kit collection.

Martin

PS: My collection is some of my favourite kits (unbuilt) which I keep on display as opposed to my stash.

• Like 1

I am glad that Peewit and Montex are providing a bit of competition for Eduard in this respect because frankly Eduard's prices for pre-cut Kabuki tape shapes had reached the point where I felt they were just taking the mickey; I hope that some credible competition might reverse their pricing process until it reaches a more agreeable level.

Truer words were never penned, I'm sure.

Quite interested to see how these Hataka paint sets do, as well. I think we all know that decals, paints, and the like are essentially tools, and cannot be considered part of a never-overlarge stash.

• Like 2

I haven't heard of Hataka paints, either. They sound Japanese, are they? Water or solvent based? Acrylic or petroleum medium? Oh, skip the chemistry class, are they marketed as acrylic or enamel? :)

Cheers,

Bill

They're Polish acrylics, I b'lieve. Their website is pretty slick.

• Like 1

Pop corn and a cold one (or two) at the ready here as well..

I'm happy to sit down and watch this as I've not long received my Dogfight Double box set as well.

I must say - these sets seem to be quite good value. I'm also hanging out for the Hurricane BoB and F4F vs. Kate options later in the year.

Cheers and good luck.. Dave.

• Like 1

Looking forward to this one Stew.

It will be nice to see how the Dornier comes out like.

Simon.

Hi Simon, yes, I am looking forward to getting to grips with it too :)

Good things come in threes. Stew builds another Defiant, and the Pencil. Both in the stash, so I'm defo in for the ride :popcorn:

Hey Jon, welcome aboard :D

I think I'll tag along too, have these in the to do list,

Sean

Hi Sean, pull up a seat mate :D

Personally I've been itching because my cat has fleas. God I hate the little parasites. Looking forward to seeing the Do 17 build Stew, May Goering not guide your hand for he shall lead you astray :shutup:

Hi TW, sorry to hear you have the horrible little freeloading parasites... and that they've got fleas as well (ba-dum tish!) :lol: I'll be doing the Do17 first, I shall not be diverted from my furious purpose :fight:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I have the Dornier and have managed to resist starting it so far.... I read a review where this kit was praised highly so look forward to seeing how it goes together. I take it the Defiant will be in the Day fighter scheme this time.....

Hey Mark, it was a hard kit to resist I found... I got the ordinary boxing too, I get easily carried away but I wanted to do a Kenley raider... another Stu has already built one, and had a few words of caution here and also Paul's build here - I shall proceed with the cockpit carefully... :viking:

Looking like this will be one to follow, mate. I'm interested to see how you get on with those Hataka paints. I've never heard of those before, so I'm curious how they work out.

I'm also a bit envious because the flipping new tool Defiant is not available in the US yet and I'm ready to build one. Very ready. :giles:

Hi Casey :bye: by all means come along... I've only used the Interior Grey-Green from the RAF set so far, but it is quite finely pigmented and covers well, I trust that will apply to the rest too. I'm wouldn't have thought you will have to wait much longer for the Defiant, or perhaps Airfix are just stoking your anticipation to fever pitch by delaying the release... :whistle:

Well said Stew, I am hoping we will see some more diversity in the realm of masking products.

Looking forward to this build up. :)

Hi MG; I've no objection to anyone making a profit from small bits of tape, but if you compare the price of the Eduard mask for the Tamiya 109E to the Airfix 109E it is remarkable, especially since they can expect to sell, at a very conservative guess, at least two of the Airfix for every Tamiya and it is essentially the same set, same amount of tape cut to the same shapes (though of course the Tamiya set doesn't actually bloody fit the Airfix one!)... anyway it just makes me feel like they are trying to scalp me and it winds me up a bit (you might have guessed that already actually... :jump_fire: )

Cheers,

Bill

Hey Bill, nice to see you :D ; the Hataka paints are from Poland and are water-based acrylics. They grabbed my attention instantly by 1) producing a set of colour-matched WW2 Polish Air Force paints and 2) by being substantially cheaper than their counterparts producing similar paints - of course, shipping to the USA would probably wipe out any saving on the actual paints for you. I've only used one colour so far Interior Grey-Green from the RAF set, but it was a good match for my mental picture of that colour and it covered well.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

This should be good! :popcorn: Although I already have two Defiant kits and a Dornier, something keeps telling me to go and buy this set, if only for my kit collection.

Martin

PS: My collection is some of my favourite kits (unbuilt) which I keep on display as opposed to my stash.

Hi Martin - get the set. You want to anyway, and it has markings that are not available elsewhere. Justification made, case closed :D

Truer words were never penned, I'm sure.

Quite interested to see how these Hataka paint sets do, as well. I think we all know that decals, paints, and the like are essentially tools, and cannot be considered part of a never-overlarge stash.

Hey PC, how's Texas? You have summed up my view on non-kit acquisition/expenditure perfectly: essential(ly) tools :D

I'm climbing on 'cause I'm a nosey git, I like what you do, I want to see how the Hataka paints perform & I'll end up with both of these in the stash before too long. I reckon that covers it. :)

Steve.

Hi Steve, good to see you; make yourself comfy. Order the kit too; resistance is futile so you might as well give in straight away :devil:

Pop corn and a cold one (or two) at the ready here as well..

I'm happy to sit down and watch this as I've not long received my Dogfight Double box set as well.

I must say - these sets seem to be quite good value. I'm also hanging out for the Hurricane BoB and F4F vs. Kate options later in the year.

Cheers and good luck.. Dave.

Hey Dave, thanks very much mate, there is a lot in the box isn't there? :o I'm still hopeful for a surprise release of a metal-wing Hurricane in 1/72 in time for the 75 BoB anniversary... I probably come off like one of those windswept Victorian heroines; standing on the clifftop, staring out to sea with tear-brimm'd eyes, ever hoping my metal-wing Hurricane will come to me... :rolleyes: ... well it could happen yet, be a nice surprise, you know... :D

... anyway last night I did the canopy masking, it was fairly quick as the Peewit mask fits very well:

DSCN2470.jpg

I'm contemplating doing my other Do17 in tandem with this build to reduce the amount of time I spend cleaning my airbrush and stuff, you know, economies of scale or whatever the term is... :hmmm:

Whatever, I will be starting on the cockpit assembly later.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

Hi Martin - get the set. You want to anyway, and it has markings that are not available elsewhere. Justification made, case closed :D

Well said that man, however anything other than the starter set boxing appears to be like the proverbial hen's teeth on the East side of the land north of the wall. I went to a certain well known Edinburgh emporium on the day they arrived and the dogfight double was already sold out. Got the Individual boxings anyway (would have been rude not to) but I do want the markings in the double set.

Hey Dave, thanks very much mate, there is a lot in the box isn't there? :o I'm still hopeful for a surprise release of a metal-wing Hurricane in 1/72 in time for the 75 BoB anniversary... I probably come off like one of those windswept Victorian heroines; standing on the clifftop, staring out to sea with tear-brimm'd eyes, ever hoping my metal-wing Hurricane will come to me... :rolleyes: ... well it could happen yet, be a nice surprise, you know... :D

Be still my beating heart. In my case it's the fear of rescribing the wings on the old one which drives my longing. Plus a shortage of old ones to practise on, I fear it will take more than one attempt to reach an acceptable standard.

... anyway last night I did the canopy masking, it was fairly quick as the Peewit mask fits very well:

DSCN2470.jpg

I'm going shopping...

• Like 4

Hey PC, how's Texas? You have summed up my view on non-kit acquisition/expenditure perfectly: essential(ly) tools :D

I saw a man in a cowboy hat within thirty seconds of getting off the plane, and I am now the owner of a complimentary bolo tie, so it's everything I imagined it would be, so far.

• Like 3

Hi Casey :bye: by all means come along... I've only used the Interior Grey-Green from the RAF set so far, but it is quite finely pigmented and covers well, I trust that will apply to the rest too. I'm wouldn't have thought you will have to wait much longer for the Defiant, or perhaps Airfix are just stoking your anticipation to fever pitch by delaying the release... :whistle:

Good to know, I'll see if I can get some sets of Hataka. Believe it or not, postage to the US from Europe, particularly eastern Europe, is fairly reasonable. The other direction, however, is utterly ridiculous. And I showed Airfix ... I went on eBay and ordered two of the buggers from the UK for $25 (total, not each). I also just got raked over the coals by another UK seller who charged me £3 for a Montex 1/35 Mi-4 canopy mask set ... and didn't specify postage to the US. He then charged me £4.30 shipping to mail what is essentially a sheet of paper to the US. I've learned my lesson on buying from UK sellers who don't spell out exactly how much shipping to the US is in their item descriptions. Won't catch me out again!

• Like 2