1/32 (Kitty Hawk) T-6G Texan - Portuguese Air Force - Smiling Shark of Nampula

mprimdj

Greetings, this is my first post are at Britmodeller.

Introducing the 1/32 Kitty Hawk T-6G Texan (Portuguese Air Force) - Codename "The Smiling Shark of Nampula"

11_7.jpg

20150107_153924_zpsdb61afd2.jpg20150107_153846_zps6e85826d.jpg

Let me show you the build progress:

Pratt & Whitney R-1340-AN1 Wasp

20150120_234026_zpsqpsrbfz7.jpg

20150120_233306_zpsiuwdtgxb.jpg

20150120_233239_zpshqytarb_edit_14217974

Interior:

20150131_184409_zpsk8p5kcs_edit_14227301

20150127_223426_zpsjcd9jxlk.jpg

20150118_150053_zps5f90d261.jpg

Edited by mprimdj
  • Like 6

Welcome.....great choice for your first kit on BM. I'm nearing the final stages of mine, built as a WW2 Harvard, now on WIP. I'll follow the rest of your build with interest.

Max

• Like 1

Yes I did have difficulties fitting that section and disguising the joint - there is no rationale for engineering the kit for that section to be separate that I can see, quote from my build WIP:

"I don't understand why KH saw fit to make this as a separate part rather than making it part of the fuselage mouldings. As far as I can see from my photographs, including detail ones from my visit to the FAA at Yeovilton, there isn't a removable panel there so I reckon it's just to make an extra part for the modeller to stick in place!! The trouble is that it needs considerable work to get an acceptable fit, this is after a little sanding and before putty and Mr Surfacer....."

Max

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Excellent work on your Texan. I had the same problem you did when I built mine regarding the fuselage insert. And, like you I could not figure why it was there. Made the same comment in my build thread here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234973005-t-6-texan-in-biafra/

Really like how yours is turning out. The weathering and paint looks great. I will be following your build.

lovely build, chipping looks excellent indeed, but... i'm fairly sure the controle surfaces, at least the rudder and elevators, on the t6 where, like most planes of the era, fabric covered. The T6 often appears in a silver finish, but this wasn't always natural metal, but silver paint. especially for the fabric areas. This of course gives the impression of metal where they where in fact fabric. Sometimes a slightly more dull finish can be seen on fabric covered areas. if controle surfaces have "ribs" they're most likely fabric covered structures.

you could of course say these area's where first painted silver and the subsequent layer of paint came off.

• Like 1

lovely build, chipping looks excellent indeed, but... i'm fairly sure the controle surfaces, at least the rudder and elevators, on the t6 where, like most planes of the era, fabric covered. The T6 often appears in a silver finish, but this wasn't always natural metal, but silver paint. especially for the fabric areas. This of course gives the impression of metal where they where in fact fabric. Sometimes a slightly more dull finish can be seen on fabric covered areas. if controle surfaces have "ribs" they're most likely fabric covered structures.

you could of course say these area's where first painted silver and the subsequent layer of paint came off.

i see, i'll do some research about the portuguese T-6, if they were covered with fabric. thanks

Good morning everyone. About the fabric covered rudders and elevator, i made the question to an old portuguese t-6 pilot, and he told me the fabric was impregnated and the base paint was aluminum with a yellow coat. And, he also thinks the chipping is ok.

Edited by mprimdj
  • Like 1

Tryed to creat the color modulation on the wings panels with AK True Metal (really nice paints) on top of Humbrol 27001, but with no success, the result sucks. Now i'll try to paint the same panel with Alclad II Chrome but with no base paint.

20151218_200907_zpsbxfqebeq.jpg

Also tryed to correct the excess of stress created on the aircraft's nose with Vallejo black over the 6 months old tamiya black. now i have mask that panel again to paint it again.

20151218_200921_zpszal1rzpq.jpg

Edited by mprimdj
  • Like 4