Hawker P.1103 and P.1121: Camm's Last Fighter Projects

overscan

Was lucky enough to see the mortal remains of the P1121 in a hangar on the far side of Cosford airfield in 2000. A humbling experience to be so close to what would have been such an awesome aircraft.

I know it's an incomplete fuselage but why nobody has had the idea of dragging it out and parking it next to the TSR.2, I will never understand!

I will definitely be buying this book

I know it's an incomplete fuselage but why nobody has had the idea of dragging it out and parking it next to the TSR.2, I will never understand!

I will definitely be buying this book

There are also a 1/8th scale wooden windtunnel model, a 1/48th scale steel high speed wind tunnel model, and 1/6th scale intake model in the RAF Museum stores which combined could make a great display near the EAP. I think its unlikely though from my discussions with Cosford.

Note that to fit the page length limit, I could not include all the 5 views by Barrie in the book, these will be made available via my forum to purchasers of the book over the next few weeks. There are a few already there along with lots of photographs of original manufacturer models from various angles I hope will be valuable reference for modelling.

Edited by overscan
  • Like 2

There are also a 1/8th scale wooden windtunnel model, a 1/48th scale steel high speed wind tunnel model, and 1/6th scale intake model in the RAF Museum stores which combined could make a great display near the EAP. I think its unlikely though from my discussions with Cosford.

Note that to fit the page length limit, I could not include all the 5 views by Barrie in the book, these will be made available via my forum to purchasers of the book over the next few weeks. There are a few already there along with lots of photographs of original manufacturer models from various angles I hope will be valuable reference for modelling.

In your research, did you find out what happened to the wings?

In your research, did you find out what happened to the wings?

I believe only one wing was completed, and it went to Cranfield in 1961 with the rest. Not sure if it made it to RAF Hadlow or Cosford. If it didn't then it most likely got used for destructive materials testing, a fate that probably also occurred to the nosecone.

• Like 1

I believe only one wing was completed, and it went to Cranfield in 1961 with the rest. Not sure if it made it to RAF Hadlow or Cosford. If it didn't then it most likely got used for destructive materials testing, a fate that probably also occurred to the nosecone.

Thanks for the info, I only asked as there was a rumour that they were stored at the Yeovilton museum

Hi, purchased my copy at Telford this afternoon and looking through it am hugely impressed. Apart from lots of tech info I am fascinated by the office politics within Hawkers and the early careers of Hooper, Fozard and others. Drawings and illustrations are excellent. Very happy I bought this as it was a bit of a spur of the moment purchase!

Cheers, Paul

Hi, purchased my copy at Telford this afternoon and looking through it am hugely impressed. Apart from lots of tech info I am fascinated by the office politics within Hawkers and the early careers of Hooper, Fozard and others. Drawings and illustrations are excellent. Very happy I bought this as it was a bit of a spur of the moment purchase!

Cheers, Paul

I'm glad you like it. I had a great time talking to people at Telford.

Until the website is done, you can buy direct using Paypal from the publisher, Blue Envoy:

To order a copy of Hawker P.1103 and P.1121 - Camms' Last Fighter Projects, please send your Paypal payments to:

[email protected]

Any queries, please drop me a line at the same email address.

Costs:

Single copies are £11.95 each

UK postage will be £1.75 (total = £13.70)

EU Postage will be £5.30 (total = £17.25)

USA Postage will be £7.60 (total = £19.55)

Aus/NZ postage from UK will be £8.00. (£19.95)

I will, of course, combine postage and try to minimise the postage costs where possible.

Copies of Air Staff and AEW, Admiralty and AEW and Vickers VC10 - AEW, Pofflers and Other Unbuilt Variants are also available at £9.95 each

I aim for same day posting when I'm at home.

Many thanks

Chris

Edited by overscan

Read it this morning - you will love it. Good chat with the author too. (Yesterday at Telford.)

Graham, was good to talk to you too, glad an ex-Hawker guy liked the book, I tried to do justice to the subject. I will mention you to Chris Farara tomorrow.

Thanks for the info, I only asked as there was a rumour that they were stored at the Yeovilton museum

I think the only Hawker prototype wings etc. at Yeovilton are P1081 related. As far as I know, the RN had nothing to do with the 1103/1121, so I'd be surprised if any parts ended up at VL.

Don't forget to register for the extras on Secret Projects Forum - currently lots of model photos and a couple more of Barrie's drawings, there will be lots more drawings added when I get back to New Zealand.

Edited by overscan

That was super fast delivery!

My copy arrived today with the VC-10 book and after a very brief look both are massively impressive.

I will give them the time they deserve over the weekend.

Off to Secret Projects to register!

Thanks and congratulations to all involved.

Went to BookDepository.com to order and was informed the book is temporarily out of stock. Waah! :badmood::weep:

I don't think BookDepository have actually ordered any from the publisher. I know the Aviation Bookshop in Tonbridge Wells (http://www.aviation-bookshop.com) had some copies left after Telford.

The best price will almost certainly be direct from the publisher as above, ordering from the publisher also gives a lot more money to the authors than buying from elsewhere.

Edited by overscan

• 3 weeks later...

It is a superb book, full of interesting text, photographs and drawings.

Absolutely wonderful and amazing value for the quality of content and reproduction.

Thanks for the feedback, its much appreciated.

If you don't want to buy direct from the publisher, these places also have copies: