Curtis A-12 Shrike

Here's my current project. A Rareplanes A-12 vac form in 1/72. I figured I should start posting. Reference is limited on this plane. I found one cutaway drawing from 193? and afew others. I decided to be different and make it Chinese air force. This is also my first vac form kit, not much different than any other except for the initial prepping of parts. I replaced the vac form engine with a resin R-1830 from Quickboost. I'm putting on all the harnesses(since it don't have any) which isn't easy. I have to also make the exhaust collector. The cockpit parts are all scratchbuilt. The control surfaces were all cut off and flaps were dropped. Strangely the tail wheel was only made on one side so I had to find a full wheel.

A_12_interior_Feb_4_2015.jpg
image upload no size limit

A_12_interior_Feb_4_2015.jpg
image upload no size limit

Edited by busnproplinerfan
  • Like 7

Best of luck with this little beauty. I like the way you have the wings attached before you join the fuselage.

How have you kept your clear parts clear? Mine have all yellowed.

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ

Best of luck with this little beauty. I like the way you have the wings attached before you join the fuselage.

How have you kept your clear parts clear? Mine have all yellowed.

Stephen

I had to attach the wings because of the flying wires, not sure if I could've put them on after. They start at the wheel pants and finish in the fuselage, plus the upside down "v" strut would be very hard to put on after. It is a bit backwards from the usual building. I do have the glass, it's nice. The top of the windshield has a small dent, I'm hoping I can trim it back just a bit and save it.

A_12_engine_Feb_11_2015_1.jpg

A_12_engine_Feb_11_2015_2.jpg

Here's what I've got done in the last little bit. The engine is an r-1830 from Quickboost resin, it's meant for a T-28. I had to backdate it by moving the pushrods ahead of the ignition harness. I made the harness from a thinly cut piece of tubing. The wires are stretched sprue, not easy to put all these on. The pushrods are the smallest piano wire I could find. I drilled through the to of the cylinder heads and into the crankcase, then trimmed the wire. The exhaust started out as two 0.030 sheets glued together, then had the hole cut out and then the outside was cut off to make the shape. I then sanded the piece till it was round and added little stubs for the parts going to the cylinders. Inside the cowling I took a small channel and cut it in half lengthwise. I glued a small strip to the tops of four of the cylinders. These strips line up into the pieces of cut channel to hole the cowling on. The intake pipes are actual locking wire(don't remember where I got it) I had to add a power section to the back of the crankcase. Mostly this was to space the engine to the firewall but also for the pushrods to have a place to go, these are slightly visable when on the plane. I noticed after that the kit prop is reversed, so now I have no spares and will make a new prop.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A_12_WIP_Mar_24_2015.jpg

Finally almost done. I painted the aircraft blue angel blue and then used Alclad airframe aluminum. It took four coats of alclad. For some reason in the sun you could still see the blue. It was a bit of a job making the canopy and windshield fit. The windshield had to be made new because the top of the kit one was damaged. It's made from three pieces. I now have the decals which I drew up on Coreldraw7. I did find out while making the aiming sight, that the nose is a bit short. Between the windshield and the first panel line ahead of it, there should be about a 3/8" more length, just from using my eyeball at least. Not going to correct it and since none exist who's going to know. To bad none of these were preserved, they area nice looking plane. The paper wrapped on the fuselage is just so I don't wreck the alclad, I already left a bit of a fingerprint on the wing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A_12_display.jpg

Here's the finished result. This was taken at a recent model club display and contest. Unfortunately it didn't place at all. I don't care, it turned out nice and had a lot of compliments on the finish, no one can believe it's Alclad. I guess I have to take better picture for the ready for inspection section.

• Like 2

Amazing, I can't believe that was n't placed. Did the judges all have white sticks and dogs?

And I thought they were playing fetch:) I don't really care but it did come out pretty good, maybe it was to clean? It's supposed to look new, or at least well cared for.

Really happy to see this thread.....I bought this kit as 'my-first vac-form' and it's been sitting on the shelf staring intimidatingly at me ever since! :undecided:

Any detail shots and references you would be willing to post would be an absolute godsend for me! :pray:

Good job.

I had to look this design up after your post. Some interesting paint schemes imho.

Thanks for posting.

I found the A-8 version has some really nice colour schemes, eventually I'll breakdown and buy the Check made kit. The Chinese ones were later painted a blochy camo which didn't do much for me. To bad none of these exist.

Really happy to see this thread.....I bought this kit as 'my-first vac-form' and it's been sitting on the shelf staring intimidatingly at me ever since! :undecided:

Any detail shots and references you would be willing to post would be an absolute godsend for me! :pray:

I did an image search for "Curtis A-12 Shrike" I only found a small few of the Chinese version and a few of the U.S. ones. One had the wheel pants removed and skis put on.

KGr_Hq_NHJCEFIMsq_Zl_IBSLHYM8shw_60_57.j

KGr_Hq_JHJDg_FIs_M_0_UIPBSLHYR4_p_60_57.

curtiss_a12_shrike.jpg

CR4813_6718_Curtiss_A_12_three_view.jpg

Here's a few of the more unique pictures. The cutaway was an old pair of pages that were on ebay recently, so instead of buying them I saved them, someone did buy them. As you may know the resolution isn't always great with image searches. Take these if you want them. Unfortunately I can't find anything showing the rear seat area except for the cutaway. I forgot to say, the prop blades are from a 1/72 Wildcat. The hub is made pieces of plastic rod and the cutaway says it's a 9' ground adjustable.