Alclad chrome query

Stuck

I have been using quite a lot of alclad chrome on my current project. There certainly seems an art to master with using this, but am slowly getting the hang of it. However the finish seems very fragile, and have already found that it will disintegrate if gone over with lacquer based clear coat, and you cant even touch it with polishing compound.. Having just done the radiator i feel that it would look better with a black wash to bring out the detail, but am a bit hesitant to touch it with anything,

Have any of you ideas how to go about this safely?

Cheers Mike

Alclad have a waterbased clear coat which works on the high shine finishes rather well. It does tone down the chrome a bit but I think it only looks more scalewise then. Maybe Future and the like work just as fine - I have not tried it. Once protected with Future the chrome finish should be well protected for a waterbased wash at least.

Rene

Hi Mike,

Yes, that is how alclad polished finishes react to solvents.

It's a polished finish, but very thin, so polishing it will destroy the effect.

You need to either use cotton gloves to handle.

You can seal alclad finishes with Alclads Aqua Gloss ( ALC600)

Hints etc are on the Alclad website www.alclad2.com

Paul

I used chrome on a build and then used aqua gloss over it after a week or two of drying, the longer you leave the chrome the harder it gets and easier to handle, after the aqua gloss has been left for a few days to a week i polish it up with micro mesh and the finish is superb. Its true it's not chrome chrome after gloss but the only other alternative for chrome is hiroboy zero paint set, now that works beautifully but it's 4/5 times the price

Shaun

Thanks for your advise, I have just taken delivery of some Alclad Aqua gloss, and am very pleased with the finish over the chrome.