1/72 - EE Canberra B.2/T.4 by S&M Models - released - B.6 in November 2018

Homebee

1 hour ago, Apex said:

So what are the accuracy issues with S&M B.2? I'm quite interested in this kit but there are so many interesting subjects with good kits already I'll pass for anything major.

Non that I can see in shape, but I've not got one and won't be, but that's a cost thing. The only issues I've spotted are detail related and from my point of view very much a missed opportunity to get at last a definitive Canberra B.2/T.4 but still the closest yet from what I can tell. 

John 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

If Airfix did a 1/72 Canberra B2/6 it would almost certainly be a new kit with new research and design. The 1/48th kits came under the 'old' regime that tended to be a bit slpa dash on the details

Dave, If they get the research right and don't fall into the lets get every Mk out of one kit trap, there are enough B.2 operators, RAF and export to get a good run out of one kit. 

John

• Like 1

I've been following this right through as well as Wilks fine build of an Aussie T.4. I'd really like one of these to do one of the T.13s that the RNZAF flew, but unless I can find a work around for post costs, I'll be waiting for a retool from Airfix or maybe when Mikromir do a run of these when Mel has sold his :unsure: . I haven't emailed S & B re post to New Zealand but a ebay Trader who I'm guessing is Mel wants  25 quid to post to NZ, 61 quid all up, not from this lad. :( I will email S & B & find out about Post ex the website & if they'll deal with international orders that way.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

Look on the bright side Steve, what’s a mere 15 quid when you get to live in one of the more beautiful parts of the world.... only trying to make things sound easier and giving you an excuse for when SHMBO queries the bank statement!! 

Cheers (an equally 15 quid deprived).. Dave

That is my one saving grace, my hobby account, modest though it is is mine & mine alone, so Mrs Hnz doesn't get to see what things cost me. :D My dilemma now is do I want a B.2 or a T.4, I'm thinking maybe B.2 to do a RN TT.18 but then again a T.4 is easier to do a RNZAF T.13. I do have an Airfix B.2 & Aeroclub correction set so might keep that against the TT.18 & go for a T.4? Decisions,decisions. :(

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

5 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

My dilemma now is do I want a B.2 or a T.4? 

I have not seen the contents of each kit as yet, however (besides decals) I'm not really sure how different these two kits are? 

I did see a copy of some instructions on here a while back and think (?) I recall seeing both options during the build stages.

Perhaps a quick email to Mel once you've decided could answer this query.

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I have not seen the contents of each kit as yet, however (besides decals) I'm not really sure how different these two kits are? 

I did see a copy of some instructions on here a while back and think (?) I recall seeing both options during the build stages.

Perhaps a quick email to Mel once you've decided could answer this query.

Cheers.. Dave  

Hi Dave, I have both kits and the grey sprues are identical. the only difference is the clear parts. With the B.2 you get the clear canopy with the single small round window and a nose cone. In the T.4 I got the canopy with the two small round flat round windows and no clear nose cone. the solid nose for the T.4 is in both kits.

Hope this helps. I can post sprue shots on here tomorrow evening if they would be of use to people.

Regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1

I hope that this kit prompts the release of some new Canberra decal sheets. I know Model Alliance produced a wide variety of decal sheets, some still readily available the RAF ones have been out of production for a while now and options are currently limited for RAF Markings and there are so many great schemes for Canberras.

2 hours ago, FZ6 said:

I hope that this kit prompts the release of some new Canberra decal sheets. I know Model Alliance produced a wide variety of decal sheets, some still readily available the RAF ones have been out of production for a while now and options are currently limited for RAF Markings and there are so many great schemes for Canberras.

Seconded...

I'm surprised that (currently) a new 1/72 Canberra Xtradecal decal sheet does not appear in the usual Hannants 'In Future' column, however maybe I'm being a little premature.

I'll be in need of a proper 45 Squadron Camel fin badge to apply to my kit when I eventually get to that stage.

Should a new decal sheet with this option fail to materialise, there's always that lovely early glossy B.2 camo scheme of grey/green & PRU Blue - oh, so many choices.  

Honestly - how can anyone stop at just one Canberra!

Cheers.. Dave

** As I'm typing this (at work?), Mrs RL has just sent me a text to ask if I'm still receiving Christmas presents??? - Looks like my S & M order has finally arrived !! :dog:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, BallsBuster said:

After market coming up - 

Canopy masks and wheel well covers - 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AGB72002

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AGB72003

And a few more are in "future releases"   -flaps, interior and exterior.

That's interesting, but I don't get the wheel well covers, are they a paint mask? if so they are too small as the only have the main door section and not the 'D' door or the auxiliary engine cooling door. If it's a replacement for the main door then it's not necessary and if used it will be less accurate than the kit one.

John 

• 5 months later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/freightdogmodels/photos/a.238637406163951/2293282197366118/?type=3&theater

Due with the High Planes restock is this Canberra Avon Starters and Fan Accessories set (HPA072064) for the S&M/AMP kits, an ideal companion for my replacement Tip Tanks if you haven't already ordered.

40664595_2293282200699451_87042503306085

V.P.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, BallsBuster said:

If the illustration is a true representation of what's in the box it's an Interesting mash up of details, PR Canberra fuel tank set up, and a B.2 fuselage, I wonder if they took on board my info on the wings? I suspect not?

John 

• Like 1

Source: http://sandmmodels.co.uk/misc-news/box-art-for-the-soon-to-be-available-canberra-b6-kit/

Box Art for the soon to be available Canberra B6 kit

S&M Models is pleased to release the Box Art for the soon to be available Canberra B6 kit.

This is a New Tool and Not a re-run of the B2/T4 model.

As can be seen the kit will feature a Gun Pack and Blue Shadow Radar and CASTOR pod.

The Canberra B6 is scheduled to be released at SWM Telford in November along with the FV432.

Please take note the Canberra B2/T4 now almost sold out and will not be rerun.

b6-1024x719.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ptmvarsityfan said:

S&M do say that its a new tool and not a reissue of the earlier release. I thought the B2 and B6 fuselages were the same? 

Cheers, Paul

Yes Paul the B.2 and B.6 fuselage was the same length but they did have detail differences. What nither of them had was 6 fuel tanks.😊

John

Edited by canberra kid
  • Like 1

This should be a nice addition, especially with the BS bits and the potential to make the a B.15 / 16 (keep those Airfix AS.30s handy!).

The fuselage panels should be relatively easy to correct with a bit of thin plasticard to represent the strengthening plates.

I wonder if they corrected the wing for this release?

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:40 PM, canberra kid said:

, I wonder if they took on board my info on the wings? I suspect not?

I do not know... perhaps it is easier to ask Mel? He usually attends the Farnborough show, so might be there next week. If I see him and remember, I shall ask...

12 minutes ago, BallsBuster said:

I do not know... perhaps it is easier to ask Mel? He usually attends the Farnborough show, so might be there next week. If I see him and remember, I shall ask...

From what Mel told me a while back its just panel line changes, no change to wing shape but I might be wrong.

Colin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

From what Mel told me a while back its just panel line changes, no change to wing shape but I might be wrong.

Colin

I'm confused now, I thought the B.2 and B.6 had the same basic fuselage but with detailed differences, likewise, I thought the wings on the B.2/PR.3/T.4/B.6/PR.7 and B(I).8 were basically the same planform with detail differences such as panel lines associated with the internal fuel tanks?

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

The B.2/B.6s are the same shapes & dimensions etc, but there are some panel differences, notebley the stiffner plates on the rear fuselage and the integral wing tanks of the 6.

I think most of us can live with that, or rectify with the info on this forum.

Main wheels were a different pattern to each other, but the B.2 kit had B.6 wheels, so shouldn't be an issue here.

The dimension issues that I'm aware of in the kit is the wing tip chord being too short, this in turn makes the wing trailing edge a steeper sweep than it actually is.  Looking at drawings I would say that it was a misreading of a dimension at the tip. 

The fuselage looks ok to me, but I have seen some saying too long (as if based on PR fuse), and John (who I trust!) saying too short.

There is a lot more on this in the Mikromir thread.

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

The dimension issues that i'm aware of in the kit is the wind tip chord being two short, this in turn make the wing trailing edge a steeper sweep that actually is.  Looking at drawings I would say that it was a misreading of a dimension at the tip. 

James,

Thanks for confirming what I already thought about the differences in marks, always good to have your knowledge reinforced.

I wasn't aware of the dimensional issues with the kit, particularly the wings, I guess I should pay better attention to this thread.

• Like 2