Airfix New Tool Hurricane canopy wrong?

ian1485

Hi all

I'm currently working on the 1/72 new tool Hurricane. At the risk of looking very foolish, I think that the canopy look wrong somehow when I compare photos of other people's new tool models against the real thing! I'm not sure what it is - maybe the horizontal metal bar is too high? I'm not sure but would be interested if anyone had any thoughts on the subject.

Thanks

No, not foolish at all.

absolutely bang on Ian,

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972791-airfix-fabric-wing-hurricane-canopy-glitch/

Hurricane_AF_fabric_canopy_IMG_0374.jpg

But, the spine is to scale.

I'm sure a vac replacement will get done at some point.

EDIT spelling for Graham. Posted in a rush originally.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say the spine is "too" scale. It's right. It's just the reality that if you're using injection moulding for a Hurricane in 1/72, you have to diverge from scale somewhere in this region, because of the limitations of the technology. Airfix has chosen to make the core of the fuselage correct and put the necessary fudge factor into the canopy where anyone who cares about it can easily subsititute a vac-form one (or crash-mould their own). The alternative is to have the canopy looking less awkward but introduce an error into the fuselage instead, which is what other manufacturers have historically generally chosen to do. I'd rather have it the Airfix way than the other way.

Of course there are also manufacturers who have got the whole of that part of the area wrong, like Matchbox and Revell.

Edited by Work In Progress

I find that sanding the `dog house' down a bit to allow the sliding hood to be mounted in the open position and then fitting the windscreen with more of a backward slant to it does help to disguise the problem but yes,.....as Troy has said,...the canopy does look wrong to me too!. Here is one of my new tool Airfix Hurri`s;

DSCF2508_zps3cb94c64.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

If English isn't your first language then I apologize but I keep seeing this, It's To Scale not Too scale.

Too is used when you have Too much of something.

P.S I went to the worst and roughest school in the Medway Towns.

Graham

Hello Graham,

I presume that you are not having a dig at me as my English (from THE roughest comp in Blackburn, Lancs) appears to be fine,.......I understand your niggle completely but as you are new to BM I should advise that you quote the post that you want to dig at, then we might understand who you have a beef with.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for the input gents - I'm glad that my eyes weren't totally deceiving me!

Good idea to get around it with the open canopy Tony (like the 85sq Hurricane with the narrow yellow roundel ring BTW), but I want to model mine with it closed. Does anyone know of anyone who makes a vacform one that will fit without too much fettling?

Thanks again all

Can I please point out, again, that, if a manufacturer wants to be absolutely correct, they need to supply two canopies for a Hurricane, one open, one closed, since it changes shape as it closes. The front frame is sprung slightly wide, when open, and, from the side, the canopy has a definite downward slant; as it closes, the canopy runners force the bottom corners inward, which push the top of the canopy upward as they go; this was all done to keep the canopy under tension, stop it chattering open during flight, but also to help throw it off should the pilot need to get out in a hurry.

• Like 9

• 2 years later...

Rob Taurus came out with one last year, links to our ebay but Im sure its avalaible your side of the pond http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rob-Taurus-72086-1-72-Vacform-Canopy-Airfix-Hurricane-Mk-I-open-closed-/331987311713

8 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Some slight thread necromancy here: did anyone ever make a vacform canopy for the kit that corrected this?

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

On 06/02/2015 at 10:34 PM, Edgar said:

Can I please point out, again, that, if a manufacturer wants to be absolutely correct, they need to supply two canopies for a Hurricane, one open, one closed, since it changes shape as it closes. The front frame is sprung slightly wide, when open, and, from the side, the canopy has a definite downward slant; as it closes, the canopy runners force the bottom corners inward, which push the top of the canopy upward as they go; this was all done to keep the canopy under tension, stop it chattering open during flight, but also to help throw it off should the pilot need to get out in a hurry.

Eduard manage this with their Fw190 kits.

Just now, phat trev said:

Would the 1/72 Revell Hurricane IIa wings fit the new Airfix Mk.1?

I don't believe so, as they're tooled very differently. Alleycat make a resin metal wing for the Airfix kit, however.

7 minutes ago, phat trev said:

Would the 1/72 Revell Hurricane IIa wings fit the new Airfix Mk.1?

IIRC The Revell wing has problems, too broad.

Re the Airfix kit, it's tooled with the break line at the bottom of the fuselage panels, as opposed to a break at wing/fuselage junction, and this is the big failing of the Airfix fabric wing kit(and the new tool 1/48th) ,  as they have this as basically a right angle, and it's not, it a subtle curve.

This is not fixed by the Alleycat wing.

If I'd paid more attention to the 72nd fabric wing (72nd is not my 'thing') and realised that it was going to scaled up to 1/48th I'd have been on the train to Margate and hammering on the door.....

In short there is no easy OOB accurate Hurricane Mk.I , or Mk.II A/B either in 72nd.

The AZ/Legato seem to be overall decent for the IIC/IID/IV

The Hase kit is reasonably good, but hard to find at decent price, and their 'bullet' Rotol in blinkin' awful.

the OLD tool Airfix Mk.I is good in most shape aspects, but needs to be widened over the front cylinder banks and rescribed.

Also of note is the Heller IIC, wing is too broad (not too hard to tho), again too narrow nose and raised panel lines, and great fabric effect.

If you fix the wing and rescribe  with the wing it's not too hard backdate to the A/B wing either

This is the killer on a lot of Hurricane kits IMO, in 72nd Revell and Academy do some really weird stringer lines, and the Hase has the 'skinny cow' effect..

The accuracy demanding 72nd modeller still awaits the definitive easy OOB Hurricane kit..

HTH

• Like 1