Mozambique Mig-17. FINISHED!

Okay then here goes with number 2!!

I have decided that despite having another build on the go that I have to make a start on this one.

I will be using the Hobby Boss Mig-17F with a replacement ejector sear from Neomega. The decals are from a Carpena sheet and the Zotz roundels of the world sheet covering Southern Africa. Other than the seat this will be pretty much OOTB.

Thanks to some info supplied by Tom Cooper (thanks Tom) I will be finishing it in the colours worn by ex-East German Air Force aircraft that they supplied to Mozambique, that is green and brown upper-surfaces with a pale blue underneath.

Below are the usual kit and other stuff photos to show what I will be using.

mozam%20mig%20001_zpsfyb2esrd.jpg

mozam%20mig%20002_zpsmdqyf1hk.jpg

Thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoy the build.

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 6

Interesting build choice, we had one defect here to SA in the '80's. It was stripped, refurbished and some years later flown back to Mozambique. If I rmember it was the all grey scheme.

Colin

• Like 1

Lt Adriano Bomba defected to South Africa in a FAMA MiG-17F, in July 1981. His MiG was returned already few weeks later - by the road (and yes, after a throughout evaluation).

mig-17_pdc.JPG

But, that MiG-17 was one of Soviet-supplied examples, painted BS381C/697 Light Admiralty Grey (i.e. 'Russian Light Blue') overall.

Edited by Tom Cooper
  • Like 3

Lt Adriano Bomba defected to South Africa in a FAMA MiG-17F, in July 1981. His MiG was returned already few weeks later - by the road (and yes, after a throughout evaluation).

mig-17_pdc.JPG

But, that MiG-17 was one of Soviet-supplied examples, painted BS381C/697 Light Admiralty Grey (i.e. 'Russian Light Blue') overall.

Thanks for the additional info Tom, it was flown at, at least one air day down here. I don't think I have any pics myself.

Colin

• Like 1

There was a lovely air-to-air photo-session with it and two SAAF Mirage F1AZs, resulting in some trully gorgeous takes. Sadly, I don't think any of shots in question are online.

Hi Tom, I'll ask around my SAAF interested mate, see what we can find.

Colin

Excellent choice of subject Craig. The scheme Tom has described to you sound unusual and interesting.

Thanks Col.

Yes it is an interesting scheme, I have to choose whether to depict an aircraft just after delivery or one which has suffered a few years under the African sun. Open to peoples thoughts on the subject, though I think I know which option will be popular!

Whatever you're happy with; but I did like your chipping effect on the sabre and it would be interesting to see you weathering this bird.

Edited by milktrip
  • Like 1

Not the best of weekends, came home from work on Friday feeling very rough and didn't leave the house again until I took the dog for a walk this afternoon, and that left me feeling totally knackered. Gotta love the flu, it knows exactly when to hit, just when you have planned some decent modelling time and some prep work for my forthcoming jaunt to Denmark with work (which will mean no modelling at all for 2 weeks!!! :weep: ).

I have just enough powers of concentration to sit and do a few posts but that's it, plus Tamiya liquid cement and headaches are hardly compatible.

Hopefully I will be able to do some modelling tomorrow.

Craig.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay it's time for an update!

Due to the inability of a certain UK based well known aero engine manufacturer that I currently work for (who will remain anonymous unless you can work it out for yourselves!) to organise a p***-up in a brewery I am not in Denmark as planned. This combined with recovery from the evil germ which infected me earlier ( some very interesting shades of green there, an no I don't know the FS numbers! ) has meant that I have been able to spend some time modelling.

The cockpit has been painted, as has the replacement seat which has yet to be fitted. I have decided to use the kit cockpit as is with the only additions being some instrument dials for the right hand console which are very noticeable on the real thing and missing from the kit, I found this unusual as even the old SMER kit has them as decals. I also added a couple of instrument placards on the left console, both of these added decals came from an old Reheat set I found in my spares box.

I have removed most of the main components from the sprues and tidied them up, I have also assembled the main wings which was a completely painless exercise so hopefully the rest of the kit will go together just as well, well we can hope can't we!

Oh well time for some (slightly dodgy) photos of the progress so far.mig%20update%20003_zps8dxhjror.jpg

The kit instrument panel, painted and weathered.

mig%20update%20008_zpsvrz0qun4.jpg

mig%20update%20009_zpsopmmifi7.jpg

A couple of pics of the cockpit.

mig%20update%20004_zpsohoij5e9.jpg

mig%20update%20006_zpsaz4cxozq.jpg

A couple of pics of the ejector seat, a very nice one from Neomega.

mig%20update%20007_zpscq0jz5hi.jpg

And finally one of the assembled wings, just in case you have forgotten what a wing looks like.

As usual all comments and criticisms are welcome and thanks for looking.

Craig.

• Like 7

Thanks for the kind words Cas.

You really can't beat Mig's for the variety of camouflage schemes used, never mind that you can find them all around the world and with some very rarely seen national markings on them.

They also come in every condition from pristine to completely knackered, great for weathering!

Great work with the cockpit Craig.

Glad to hear you are feeling better but sorry you didn't get to Denmark (or is that a good thing since it's work related and not recreational?).

I've been to Denmark once, when I was about 10 / 11. Went to Legoland and got my drivers licence. Unfortunately it couldn't be used for ID... Now I just need my daughter to grow up a bit so I have a reason to go again :D

• Like 2

Thanks Aaron,

The Denmark trip has just been put back a fortnight, so I should be going on the 2nd March. Mind you there is still time for work to mess this up again, they are professionals after all!!

Yes the reason for the trip is work, but I have the intervening weekend to myself and there is a very nice air museum a couple of hours away and there are also model shops in Copenhagen which is only an hour away from where I will be staying/working.

I think it's very unfair that you can't still use your Legland licence! On that basis I won't bother getting one for myself.

• Like 2