Spitfire musings

PilotOfficer

Hi all,

I've been looking at the kits in my stash, and I was wondering about something.

If I have a Mk. IX Spitfire fuselage, and a pair of wings from a Seafire Mk. XVII, could I combine those to create one of the Spitfire/Seafire marks?

Thanks,

PliotOfficer

yes.

Is this in 1/48th? what kits, assume Airfix Seafire XVII, what IX?

EDIT - But not a Seafire, as no Seafire used the merlin 60 engine. So the XVII wing is basically the same as IX wing, but folding.

You could make a Seafire by cross kitting with a Mk V. It's complex, and I need to feed daughter.

My apologies for forgetting to mention the scale! It is indeed 1:48; the Seafire XVII is the Airfix kit, and the Spitfire IX is the Hasegawa kit. I'm aware of the shape issues with the Hasegawa - I'm not looking to make something absolutely accurate, just to use up leftover parts.

what you have is two sets of decent C type wings, with an inaccurate fuselage.

If the short Hase IX fuselage is not a bother, build a IX. No point trying to fit the Airfix wing, it's basically the same wing type.

So, you now have the XVII wing, which is the folding type, though you can fill the folding lines. To do anything you need a fuselage or another kit really.

Added to a VB kits you can make a VC, but you need to fill the larger raditor space and fit a smaller oil cooler.

Same of a Seafire.

Or, it could be used with a Griffon fuselage, eg a XIX fuselage and some work, to make a XIV, or a 22/24 with a cut down fin, to make an XVIII.

Aeroclub did some conversion fuselages, not sure if any are still available

see here for some of what I'm talking about.http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234936590-theres-more-than-one-way-to-skin-a-cat/