Thinning ratios?

Raven Morpheus

Hello

Silly question time...

Recently bought some UMP Thinners and I note on the chart they express the thinning ratios in percentages. For example for Citadel paints they state 70% and for Tamiya 50%.

Problem is I'm having a bit of a "brain fart" and can't get my head around how it translates to actually putting paint in the paint cup...

For Tamiya where it's a 50% mix I can guess that'd be like adding 1 drop of thinner to 1 drop of paint, and therefore 70% would be 7 drops thinner to 3 drops paint, right?

TIA

Edited by Raven Morpheus

I'm not familiar with these thinners, however I would suggest that 7 drops of thinner to 1 drop of paint would be too much and the paint too thin. I would say that 50% would be 50:50 so equal shares of paint and thinner, 1 drop of paint to one drop of thinner. I think the 70% would be either 7 drops of paint to 3 drops of thinner 7:3 or 70:30 however you want to write it, or, 7 thinner 3 paint. I suppose it depends how thick the Citadel paints are..?? Personally I always thin at 50:50 equal shares and try it. I will then work from there adjusting the mix as needed till I get the right consistency and a good spray..

• Like 1

Surly the thinning ratio will depend on what size needle and nozzle you are using. I do not have any hard and fast rules. when using tamiya I prefer to spray on the thin side and go well over the 50/50 recommendation. i do not use a stirrer when mixing with thinners instead i add first the thinners to the cup with a clean paint dropper and then with another I add the color I then squirt it in and out of the dropper a few times which i think does a far better job of mixing than stirring with a brush or something similar,

• Like 2

That is what i always use, i brought 50 five years ago and have still a lot left. I have watched so many vidios where they just add the paint and thinners in the cup and just give it a quick wind with a cocktail stick or brush,I dont think this gives a proper dispersal of paint with the thinners because it cant get right down to the air brush stem, doing it with a pipette does a lot better job in my opinion. i always keep a clean one for thinners.

• Like 1

That is what i always use, i brought 50 five years ago and have still a lot left. I have watched so many vidios where they just add the paint and thinners in the cup and just give it a quick wind with a cocktail stick or brush,I dont think this gives a proper dispersal of paint with the thinners because it cant get right down to the air brush stem, doing it with a pipette does a lot better job in my opinion. i always keep a clean one for thinners.

Tamiya paints , I clean the Pipette with water with little dawn dish wash . Then set to dry , then reused

I don't use enamels

Rick