Small Steel Barquentine

This as a miniature of the steel barquentine Mary Isabel, completed in 1892. I am building it to a scale of 25 feet to 1 inch. Entirely scratchbuilt. Yesterday, I completed the sails and rigging on the mainmast. The next task is to rig the mizzen and finally, the square-rigged foremast. These small sailing ships don't take long to build. The masts, spars and rigging are 100% metal, so no knots are used. The rigging is just glued on in sections.

Mary_Isabel_5th_Feb_2015_Large.jpg

• Like 5

Yes, I wrote the Telegraph articles. I did them for about ten years, but no longer make one a month, so couldn't keep up. In those days, I would build about 14 or 15 a year! Last year, only built two, but the reason was that I had Tennis Elbow for about 5 months. Recovered suddenly in November, but have only just got back into the swing of it!

Bob

• Like 1

Glad you're getting back into it, 15 scratchbuilt models in a year is going some though!

Your building style looks very similar to John Bowen, I've got a few of his books and fancied having a go at scratching something from plans.

I'd go for 1/700 scale as a compromise between size and detail though, also to match the RN kits I've bought but haven't built either!

Thanks,

I have known John Bowen for many years, although we have never met! I wrote regularly for Model Shipwright and then for the annual Shipwright journals that superseded it for the years 2010 to 2013 inclusive, but they have now ceased publication.

Actually, I have built more steam and motor ships than sailing ships. The sails are white airmail paper with the seams printed on in light grey on the computer.

Bob

• Like 1

Hi, Yep, that pen is a dead giveaway :) welcome to the forum. This looks like it's going to be a very pretty little ship indeed.

F

The main and mizzen masts are now complete, and also the standing rigging on all three masts. At the moment, it is looking a bit unbalanced. The next task is to fit the four jibs to the bowsprit, and finally, the five square sails on the foremast.

Mary_Isabel_7th_Feb_2015_Large.jpg

• Like 6

I have now almost completed the square sails, only the t'gallant and royal to fit. Photographs are useful for showing errors in very small models. I have just noticed that the port mizzen boom guy is bent. I will have to replace it. Completion is less than an hour's work off now. The display case and sea are already completed.

Bob

Mary_Isabel_Feb_10_Large.jpg