Neo for Iwata airflow issue

Booty003

Hi Chaps,

I seem to have an airflow issue with a Neo for Iwata airbrush. I am at the spraying stage of a lovely Revell 1/32 Mk II Spit and have been trying to use the Neo but no matter how much PSI I select on the compressor the same pitiful amount of air comes out. I have tried thinned Xtracrylix (50:50 mix) and Vallejo Model Air but the spray pattern is erratic and spits.

I am able to achieve great results with a so called cheap Chinese airbrush using the exact same paints and adjusting the pressure on the regulator does affect the amount of airflow (which is what I expect). Perfect paint control and really fine lines.

I don't want to give up on the Neo but the thing is driving me mad.....

Any advise is greatly welcomed.

Phil

Have you replaced the nozzle or nozzle cap at any time?

I've seen a few people that have had the BCN's 0.5mm nozzle inadvertently fitted with the CN's 0.35mm nozzle cap - it all fit's together fine, but airflow is somewhat restricted.

The other thing to check is that the air is getting to the brush.

Unscrew the air valve from the brush and attach it to the hose.

With the compressor running press the small plunger down and check that there is roughly the right amount coming out.

If this is OK, check that the airway through the brush, above the air valve and next to the nozzle aren't clogged.

Paul

to see if its the airbrush of the paint blow some neat water through it. if it cant spray water then it wont spray paint. it may need a stripdown. obvious places to check

the nozzle, is it gunked up inside or split?

the needle, is the tip bent. if so draw it backwards over a fine sanding sponge, try not to alter the taper..

the air valve under the trigger. has paint got past the needle seal and gunked it up.

Cheers guys, I think I will strip it down tonight and give the front end a good soak in Vallejo airbrush cleaner.

Should be able to get a few RFI piccies up soon. :-)

Update:

I stripped it down last night and it is nice and clean inside.

I removed the needle cap and nozzle cap and tried a blast with just air - this came out easily and would change as I adjusted the compressor regulator.

I then screwed the nozzle cap back on and the air flow dropped right off to nothing! It seems that if the nozzle cap is tightened fully it completely restricts the flow of air, slacking it off a couple of turns seems to open it up again and allows a decent airflow. - Surely this can't be right....??

If the nozzle isn't fully screwed / seated & protrudes further than it should, it will narrow the air gap between itself & the nozzle cap, the flange at the base of the nozzle should just be in contact with the nozzle post if it's fitted correctly (don't over tighten it though or you may damage / tear the o-ring).

I'm assuming that is a Neo CN? has it ever sprayed properly or have any parts recently been changed / renewed?

If there is some sort of parts mix up the nozzles (current parts anyway) can be identified by the colour of their o-ring, 0.35 being orange/red & 0.5 being black, unfortunately there are no distinguishing marking between the nozzle caps though.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Yes it is the CN model, bought it last year and had issues which I originally put down to my lack of experience with the AB and also thinning paint correctly. I have been practising on sheets of A4 and that's when I discovered that the airflow was terrible. I have been looking around for more info and now suspect it may be the needle end of the nozzle cap causing the issue? I will have another play with it over the weekend and if I can't resolve it then its going back.

Cheers all.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Stripped brush down, soaked the nozzle cap in airbrush cleaner and give it a good clean. Result is now a perfectly good and working brush again!!

I only had chance to play with it again last night and am well happy with it again. I just needed more experience with cleaning the brush properly.

Cheers for all the help and advice chaps.

My new favourite product is Vallejo airbrush cleaner!!

• 3 years later...

Digging this one up from the catacombs....!!

I dropped my H&S Evo last night and split the nozzle (FFS...).  Have ordered a new one but while I wait for that to be delivered I dug out my Neo that has been in the garage, unused, for over 3 years.  The airflow problem had returned so it had been banished.  I was determined to sort it even if it meant breaking it and binning it for good.  Reading a few different topics about this brush and many others having the exact same issue I decided to have a go at it with a small drill bit in a pin vise.  I made the hole on the nozzle cap slightly bigger and immediately the airflow improved.  I duly loaded up the cup with some Vallejo Model Air straight from the bottle and was able to create lovely super fine lines and also good area coverage on a test piece of paper.  This now feels like a new airbrush, good balance, lovely smooth action and now a decent amount of airflow to deliver paint.  Feeling very chuffed right now and will be having a go on a F-104C and F-5A later! 

Cheers all,

Phil

• Like 1

On 2/6/2015 at 5:15 AM, Booty003 said:

Update:

I removed the needle cap and nozzle cap and tried a blast with just air - this came out easily and would change as I adjusted the compressor regulator.

I then screwed the nozzle cap back on and the air flow dropped right off to nothing! It seems that if the nozzle cap is tightened fully it completely restricts the flow of air, slacking it off a couple of turns seems to open it up again and allows a decent airflow. - Surely this can't be right....??

Happens on neos all the time ... Alot of people put ptfe tape and think sealing it fixed it, nope just something associated with the budget quality, it will eventually let you screw it on too far.

Make sure your nozzle isn't come loose any , but other wise yeah.

The nozzle and cap need a very accurate location to one another depth wise.

• 2 months later...

I’ve had this problem with my neo, turned out to be gunked up in the nozzle area not allowing air flow even though it looked squeaky clean.

a few minutes proggling with fine gauge wire sorted it right out

• 2 years later...
On 05/02/2015 at 09:24, Booty003 said:

Hi Chaps,

I seem to have an airflow issue with a Neo for Iwata airbrush. I am at the spraying stage of a lovely Revell 1/32 Mk II Spit and have been trying to use the Neo but no matter how much PSI I select on the compressor the same pitiful amount of air comes out. I have tried thinned Xtracrylix (50:50 mix) and Vallejo Model Air but the spray pattern is erratic and spits.

I am able to achieve great results with a so called cheap Chinese airbrush using the exact same paints and adjusting the pressure on the regulator does affect the amount of airflow (which is what I expect). Perfect paint control and really fine lines.

I don't want to give up on the Neo but the thing is driving me mad.....

Any advise is greatly welcomed.

Phil

Mine is exactly the same!

Driving me bonkers now it's been like it from out the box 6 months ago!

On 06/02/2015 at 10:15, Booty003 said:

Update:

Same again with mine it's like the caps 

Update:

Same with mine again it's like the caps are wrong! If you look at the box and the cap there different! It's the same as my sparmax one that's on the box image and online pictures! The one with the brush has 2 ridged bands whare as images have same single sparmax! I might go try my sparmax cap on it being a sparmax who make it for iwata the neo 

Update:

Mine is exactly the same I bought one 6 months ago 2021 its doing the same thing and found this post to see what's going on with it! Been like it from out the box! Compared to the sparmax I use it's atleast restricted to half the airflow! Some airbrush need more than 30psi to work correctly so that's what i have to do with it but annoying when forgot to turn pressure back down for sparmax! It's an awful airbrush for that it's like the caps wrong! Soon as tightened all the way air flow just dies yet I've noticed if have paint round it you see bubbles so not a great seal as it is! The caps are different from box are and online photos I've noticed some have 2 ridged bands the photos have the 1 band sam8as the sparmax but wider ends so can't fit a sparmax cap on it but do have a couple cheap airbrush to check if any of the caps work better for it! It's just strange that it kills the air flow when cap goes on its like it need that extra wee millimetre thread to let the airflow flow down the cone of the cap!