Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1a/2 Corsair

treker_ed

Quick Question - does anyone know if the above kit (Tamiya ref #61046) can be modelled with the flaps in the up position?

They are made to be in the extended or down position, I don't really want to start hacking into the plastic only to find out that they couldn't be altered to fit in that way.

Many thanks in advance.

Treker_ed :shrug:

Edited by treker_ed

Sorry Stephen, I should have said using only the kit parts. As I am not working, I can't resort to any after market parts, and this is a kit that I am working on at present.

So, using only the kit parts, can this be altered?

Quick Question - does anyone know if the above kit (Tamiya ref #61046) can be modelled with the flaps in the up position?

They are made to be in the extended or down position, I don't really want to start hacking into the plastic only to find out that they couldn't be altered to fit in that way.

Many thanks in advance.

Treker_ed :shrug:

they can

see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/50906-a-pair-of-148-tamiya-f4u-corsairs/

pics showing just this.

specifically this post - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/50906-a-pair-of-148-tamiya-f4u-corsairs/#entry542329

Note tip on unfolded wing construction.

I found this by googling "tamiya 1/48 corsair flaps up" and it was one of the first hits. I'm not critcising, but pointing out that many answers can be got by a very simple search..

HTH

T

Tried searching - nothing came up and I did vary the search parameters quite a bit, not exactly a newbie when it comes to computers and/or searching.

Anyway, thanks for the pointer, Suffice it to say, they are not exactly designed to be installed in the up position (not easily looking at that link and not without a fair bit of plastic card either). Thankfully not at that stage yet, so I have some time to decide.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by treker_ed

they can

see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/50906-a-pair-of-148-tamiya-f4u-corsairs/

pics showing just this.

specifically this post - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/50906-a-pair-of-148-tamiya-f4u-corsairs/#entry542329

Note tip on unfolded wing construction.

I found this by googling "tamiya 1/48 corsair flaps up" and it was one of the first hits. I'm not critcising, but pointing out that many answers can be got by a very simple search..

HTH

T

Any search can find any info if the right keywords are used. With that being said this is a discussion group, I really don't see the harm in asking.

• Like 1

Any search can find any info if the right keywords are used. With that being said this is a discussion group, I really don't see the harm in asking.

If i saw the harm in asking I'd post up this sarcy emoticon :search:

Right keywords are crucial to effective searching, so I added in my search term as it was the first thing I tried, and it worked, while the OP said he tried various search terms with no luck, so I hoped adding in what I tried may have been of use, as effective internet searching is now as much of a modelling tool as being able to thin paint properly or pick the right glue.

In this specific case, as the search term I used was the first I tried,( though I did look up some builds on modelling madness first), with the posted link in the first 3 results, it struck me as strange that the answer had not already been found, and I did find an answer to OP question

It can sometimes be difficult to get the tone of a posting right, in this case I did the post quickly, and was not as careful with wording as I can be, which is why I did say it was not intended as a criticism as I thought it might come across that way, I did not have time to hone my response as carefully to avoid this inference.

I try to be helpful, and on occasion answer posts that I think should be obvious from some basic searches, but in the case of newer members I will answer these, I'm also aware some newer members are new to computers/internet, and add in what I search for as this may aid them in the future.

Learning how to get the best out of the forum also helps, so when posting up a question, think about what you see on the forum page, that 'question' line can be used very effectively, "tamiya 1/48 corsair flaps up problem" is a better question than " Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1a/2 Corsair"

As I often point out, the site search is not very good, but if you add 'Britmodeller' into a search term on google there threads can be found quite easily and often, due to far too much time on here, I know that the answer is already in a thread.

cheers

T

• Like 2

Yes they can, it's a little tricky

F4-1s-04.jpg

F4-1s-05.jpg

F4-1s-06.jpg

F4-1s-07.jpg

F4-1s-08.jpg

This shows the Ultracast resin flaps which are have issues of their own. it's probably the only product of theirs I wouldn't recommend.

F4-1s-13.jpg

but it can be done,

F4U-1D-56.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 1

• 8 years later...
On 2/4/2015 at 7:27 PM, Troy Smith said:

If i saw the harm in asking I'd post up this sarcy emoticon :search:

Right keywords are crucial to effective searching, so I added in my search term as it was the first thing I tried, and it worked, while the OP said he tried various search terms with no luck, so I hoped adding in what I tried may have been of use, as effective internet searching is now as much of a modelling tool as being able to thin paint properly or pick the right glue.

In this specific case, as the search term I used was the first I tried,( though I did look up some builds on modelling madness first), with the posted link in the first 3 results, it struck me as strange that the answer had not already been found, and I did find an answer to OP question

It can sometimes be difficult to get the tone of a posting right, in this case I did the post quickly, and was not as careful with wording as I can be, which is why I did say it was not intended as a criticism as I thought it might come across that way, I did not have time to hone my response as carefully to avoid this inference.

I try to be helpful, and on occasion answer posts that I think should be obvious from some basic searches, but in the case of newer members I will answer these, I'm also aware some newer members are new to computers/internet, and add in what I search for as this may aid them in the future.

Learning how to get the best out of the forum also helps, so when posting up a question, think about what you see on the forum page, that 'question' line can be used very effectively, "tamiya 1/48 corsair flaps up problem" is a better question than " Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1a/2 Corsair"

As I often point out, the site search is not very good, but if you add 'Britmodeller' into a search term on google there threads can be found quite easily and often, due to far too much time on here, I know that the answer is already in a thread.

cheers

T

Agree, great points and perspective.

Edited by Scooby
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Scooby said:

Agree, great points and perspective.

You get the award for the oldest Necrothread of the week. 2015!!!!! :shocked:  As they reached a firm conclusion, OP has asked for it to be shut down :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Mike locked this topic