1952 RAF roundel size for 1/72 Mach2 RB-45C

kekelekou

Hello everyone !

One of the stack kits at home being the 1/72 Mach 2 B-45, I am gathering data to model the RB-45C used by the brave RAF crews to overfly Moscow in 1952 (while their USAF friends were having a beer at the mess J). Then I need Type D roundel decals to do so. I am considering buying a sheet from Xtradecals, but my problem is that I am not sure that the roundel sizes on the sheet (84", 66", 54", 48", 36" and 30") correspond to the ones sported by the RB-45C. I have tried to measure them on the pictures and extrapolate their diameters, but I have ended up with pretty peculiar dimensions (77” and so on). My maths might be wrong…

So I need a little help from you RAF experts.

• In 1952, did RAF regulations enforce only certain specific roundel size, or was the diameter adaptable to each plane?
  • If specific sizes existed, on which criteria was the size chosen : type dependent (eg for wings : 100” for heavies, 54” for jet fighters, 30” for light planes)? what looked best? The largest one possible?

Thank you very much for your help on this topic!

Best regards,

• Like 1

I suspect that the sizes on the RB-45C were non-standard.

I agree.

These were US aircraft based at Sculthorpe, a US base, and probably painted by US Personnel. The Roundels were probably not painted to any RAF standards and most likely painted in US equivalent paints.

Selwyn

One of my dads friends from his RAF Lindholm Lincoln days was a Flt Eng. on these R45s................My dad didn't find out until a Channel 4 programme blew the lid. He phoned him straight away and asked him about it. He said how did you find that out? There is a TV programme all about it,its on now. I can't tell you anything,its still secret! He got an AFC or AFM but we're not sure if he got it for that or being the only one that survived a RAF B-29 Washington crash landing at Marham (I think) He was in a rear facing Flt. Eng. seat, it broke free and he was still strapped to it on the Runway. There is a well known Photo of these 45s lined up at Skulthorpe,the crews lined up in the foreground and a Lincoln in the background,he's on that. I can't ask him anything as he's in a bad way at the moment with Altzheimers.Horrible thing to see.He was also the VC-10 Flt Eng on that BOAC advert in the 60's on youtube.

Edited by bzn20

One of my dads friends from his RAF Lindholm Lincoln days was a Flt Eng. on these R45s................My dad didn't find out until a Channel 4 programme blew the lid. He phoned him straight away and asked him about it. He said how did you find that out? There is a TV programme all about it,its on now. I can't tell you anything,its still secret! He got an AFC or AFM but we're not sure if he got it for that or being the only one that survived a RAF B-29 Washington crash landing at Marham (I think) He was in a rear facing Flt. Eng. seat, it broke free and he was still strapped to it on the Runway. There is a well known Photo of these 45s lined up at Skulthorpe,the crews lined up in the foreground and a Lincoln in the background,he's on that. I can't ask him anything as he's in a bad way at the moment with Altzheimers.Horrible thing to see.He was also the VC-10 Flt Eng on that BOAC advert in the 60's on youtube.

The programme is "Timewatch: Spies in the Skies" and originally aired on BBC 2 in 1994 - an edited version has done the rounds on cable TV through the years.

Not sure the crews were overflying Moscow, they were looking for far more sensitive sites.

Marty...

Thanks Marty I wrongly thought Timewatch was C4. I don't know where he went, he wouldn't tell,just said what was on the TV and no more!

Edited by bzn20

I had similiar issue BBC Radio 4 researcher contacted me with respect to interviewing my late father about what part he played in Cuban Missile Crisis (he was Chiefy of 617 at the time). But, he was far too ill at the time - I'm not sure what he would have told them as he was always very tight lipped had he said had he been fit enough to speak, possibly mindful of the OSA.

It is pretty clear from what the researcher told me in conversations with him, that the Squadron ORBs from the time had been santised

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk
  • Like 1

The irony of this, the British Government is still in denial about the RB-45 and Canberra overflies of Soviet territory - whilst the Russians will give one the serial Nos of the aeroplanes involved and the US administration will do the same.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk
  • Like 1