Shackleton MR Mk. 3 - 1/72nd FROG/Eastern Express

Radar

She's looking really great and as you say not a bad kit for it's age. Forty years ago when it came out it was ground breaking.

Even now, despite the different labels it appears under it retains the magic that FROG kits always seemed to have.

Nice that the revel and Airfix cover the MR2 as this one can still stand up and fill the gap and be well worth it as this thread shows.

Quite an inspirational build of an aeroplane with great character.

• Like 1

I love those nacelle power eggs, pretty in red huh :)

And great undercart and details

Nice flaps too

I'm glad you got some sense out of Photobucket but I don't see why Flickr went wrong for you

Find picture in your collection, select it for the main screen then left click the Share icon the curved arrow (it isnt in a box on my version, but is iconed with a text box that says Share this photo)

When I press the icon I get the choice box that lets me choose the size of the image (this one is square 150 x 150) with the link blue highlighted

I right click the highlighted text and click 'copy' on the right click menu

then in here I simply ctrlV, here on the reply page

16796037302_4c0c6e2d6d_q.jpg

odd huh :(

Edited by perdu

Hi Radar

If you are short of any spares I did have a fleet of FROG/Modelcraft/Revell MR.3s till a couple of years ago.

I still have loads of the parts I recovered from them. And at some point I may get around to putting them to good use.

Tim S

She is really coming along now, Ian! Frankly, I'm glad you went for the Phase 3 version as if I ever do one, I can see how to do it. Those outer nacelles look great!

Regards,

Jason

Tim,

Could I cadge a bombay roof off you? As I had to hack one up a bit and could do with a replacement if you have a spare! Pleas PM me with what you want for it.

Jason - sometimes I wish I hadn't done the Phase 3 version as the modified nacelles have turned what was going to be a simple OOB build into a complicated and fiddly one. At least the worst part is over now and all I have to do is fabricate the actuator arms that lower the inlet doors, which I think now were DSG inside, whilst the actual curved inlets inside the nacelles appear to be (on the Newark one anyway) painted red inside a la US Navy hazard areas. I wonder if Rich in his archive has any MR. Mk 3 painting spec documents for the Viper intakes.

BTW I have just spent a few evenings reading the story of 963's restoration at Coventry over the past several years, it is an epic read with some beautiful Shack pictures.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Ian, if I ever do get around to my MR.3, I'll probably be afraid to tackle the Phase 3, but it's still nice to see how to do it, and I think you've done a good job on it. Of course, I may just do the SAAF grey (MSG?) over PRU Blue scheme and not have to worry about the Phase 3.

Regards,

Jason

Jason,

I'm surprised that no one has ever done some resin Phase 3 outer nacelles as there are certainly enough FROG and deriative kits about, maybe those internal concave curves put them off. Yes the SAAF scheme is really pretty afaik the South Africans are still flying a single MR.3 on their Historic Flight.

I stll have a little 1:144 resin Czech kit of an AEW Mk.2 to do yet for my AEW History collection, the thought of painting those red and white prop tips in 1:72 is bad enough let alone 1:144, does anyone know if there is a company that does prop tip decals I've seen them for US Navy aircraft but not RAF yet.

Ian

I wonder if Rich in his archive has any MR. Mk 3 painting spec documents for the Viper intakes.

BTW I have just spent a few evenings reading the story of 963's restoration at Coventry over the past several years, it is an epic read with some beautiful Shack pictures.

I'll get the guys to have a look at the drawing manifest, but the powerplants/frames were assembled complete by Rolls Royce. You may do better out of the RR Heritage Trust.

Glad you enjoyed the story so far... there'll be more happening at Coventry for many more years yet!

Edited by richw_82

Thanks Rich,

A bit of slow progress this week. The wings have been glued together after fitting two light lenses underneath the wings (I wonder whether these 4 lights retracted down and pointed forward as the Vulcan ones did when the gear was down?). Then the engine nacelles were glued on using 5 minutes epoxy for the outer ones. Then prolific filling with smooth grain white Squadron Putty around the nacelles and the gaps on the upper wings where the enginges join the wing leading edges as there were large gaps!

Shack%2085.jpg

Alittle bit of filler was needed around the emplanage joints but not much, a very nice touch by FROG of overlapping internal tabs that slot into each other Revell and Airfix take note as it guaretees a nice tight rigid fit.

Shack%2087.jpg

Thanks to Tornado 01 I have a decent replacement aileron, flaps and a nice canopy in case I need it when I take the masking tape off, thanks Tim.

Thanks for looking

Ian

• Like 3

Glad to be off assistance Ian.

At least the Shackleton RTP came in handy after all...

I on the other hand seem to have lost the mojo regarding the Airfix 1/48 Canberra fleet which is somewhat slowly (possibly) getting somewhere. :banghead:

Still I now see them as a way of getting better at kits, considering all my Shacks were hand built and painted (it did show sometimes) who knows I might even get something on here someday :ninja:

Tim

Go for it Tim some of those Canberra's looked nearly finished and looked like they just needed the decals putting on, why not concentrate on that special one with the unusual nose that you showed me, get her finished and put her on here when she's done.

• Like 1

Jason,

I'm surprised that no one has ever done some resin Phase 3 outer nacelles as there are certainly enough FROG and deriative kits about, maybe those internal concave curves put them off. Yes the SAAF scheme is really pretty afaik the South Africans are still flying a single MR.3 on their Historic Flight.

I stll have a little 1:144 resin Czech kit of an AEW Mk.2 to do yet for my AEW History collection, the thought of painting those red and white prop tips in 1:72 is bad enough let alone 1:144, does anyone know if there is a company that does prop tip decals I've seen them for US Navy aircraft but not RAF yet.

Ian

Sadly the SAAF Shack is no longer flying - there is something like 25 hours left on the main spar, thus the aircraft is grounded. But she is kept in flying condition, with the engines being run once a month.

R

Some lovely detailing in this build. It looks like you will have to stand it on a mirror when it's finished to show it all off! The designers at Frog did some really nice engineering on their location tabs for wings and tail planes.

Regards,

Adrian

This was supposed to be an OOB build but I got a bit carried away because I have the actual aircraft on my doorstep, I'm wishing now that I had left the bombay doors open so a mirror would show the big picture underneath, too late now though.

Sad news about the SAAF MR Mk.3.

Ian

Sad news about the SAAF MR Mk.3.

Ian

Well at least this one hasn't been left to rot in the desert or recently scrapped (one was I believe scrapped as late as 2013).

Regards,

Jason

Tim,

You've done it again!

Having studied the photos again you're dead right there is a small "V" cut in the main flaps in line with the rear of the Viper nacelle jet pipes. I have to admit I had completely missed that one. Well it's time to break out the Razor Saw, sh*t I've just glued the wings together an all! Better to spot it now I suppose.

On close scrutiny it looks like there are quite a few laches on those outer nacelles as well as alot of rivets (break out the Tamiya rivet wheel tool time) and the red paint on the jet intakes only goes part the way back to the face of the jet engines.

Split%20Flap%201.jpg

Split%20Flap%205.jpg

Also I have noticed that there are thin yellow lines UNDERNEATH the tailplane emplanage, why on earth would they be there I wonder?

Cheers

Ian

I'll try and get some work done on the model over the next few days

Edited by Radar