Shackleton MR Mk. 3 - 1/72nd FROG/Eastern Express

Radar

Could a chap count the old one he done earlier?

;)

No I jest but much as I like the concept I wouldn't be able to expend that much time to another modelling project

Wish you all well with it though

I hope to be seeing Rich's personal Shack in April

Perdu,

Much as I have an affection for WR963 and Shackletons as a type, she isn't my personal aircraft, she belongs to the Trust of which I am a part. Anyone can join, and that makes her as much yours as mine or anyone elses! A lot of our members are of the elder generation, so being quite a bit younger than them you'll find I'm one of the most vocal of the team on the internet... often it sends out the wrong signal.

I'm just fortunate to be caretaking a large chunk of aviation history, and proud to be doing what I do.

Regards,

Rich

• Like 2

Rich my friend, I have been aware for a long time of your relationship with the old girl, fear not

Your many updates have enlivened the Pistonheads pages for long enough, many years more may they continue too

I feel that your enthusiasm deserves some/much recognition so as for as I'm concerned, YOU are the man

Will you be on site on the 12th of Apri?

If you are around I'd like to buy you a congratulatory coffee

:thumbsup2:

• Like 1

I'll be up for the group build - the AEW parts from the Revell kit + the aeroclub decals will be going on an Aifix kit. So I'll be doing WR960, WR963 and an MR3 as a mash up of new Revell AEW.2 and old Frog MR.3

Cheers,

WV908

Hi again folks,

Well here we are halfway through another set of shift days off so time to get back to the Shack (well actually the shed is where do my building). Good to see that we have some interest in a mini Group Build at the end of the year when the new kits come out. It looks like the Revell AEW Mk.2 will hit the streets first, so Andy I may get a head start on you but I most probably won't be buying mine until we both go to Telford for our annual pilgrimage.

Anyhow after Rich's very helpful piccies it became obvious that I was going to have to move the anticol light and put four whip aerials on the roof of my model after modifying my plans a little. I also built myself a tressle to mount the fuselage on out of rubberised foam as when things get to the painting phase I always end up grtting finger prints on my models somewhere.

Shack64.jpg

I've decised to do nearly all the work on the fuselage first, so after positioning and mounting all of the aerials, I used Tamiya tape to mask all the glazed areas of the cockpit and the nose and then applied another coat of primer to show up any defects. Then the matt black anti-dazzle panel was sprayed on and also masked.

Next for the white fuse top, I like Halfords "Appliance White" cans as I seem to have nightmares spraying white acrylics and enamels, I'm the orange peel king when it comes to white!

Shack66.jpg

By the way I used very thin fuse wire for the whip aerials mounted inside hollow plastic rod cups, that way I don't snap the aerials off everytime I touch the model.

Then I took alot of the upper masking off, painted the details on the aerials and anticol light and escape hatch (I've decided to do what everybody else has done who I've seen build this kit and go for a gloss black panel rather than cut the aperture in the upper fuselage and put some transparency in).

Shack68.jpg

Shack69.jpg

I'm not 100% happy with the canopy framing after checking the photo on page 1 of the Duxford Shack cockpit. So I'll address that in the next sess. Next I tackles the towel rail aerial that is attached to the bombbay doors, ising metal rod and slivers of plastic card, after priming I was quite pleased with it.

Shack71.jpg

After setting the fuse aside to dry off and set for a few days before I mask her up for the DSG coat, I did some more filling work on the Viper nacelles attempting to achieve the correct inside curves, oh why oh why did I plumb for a Phase 3?

Shack70.jpg

Well that's it for the past 2 days work, I most probably won't get down the Shack now until next week as Mrs Radar is undergoing surgery tomorrow and will need some TLC for the next few days.

• Like 10

I certainly hope things go well with the good Mrs.! Regarding your Shack, things seem to be going quite well indeed. I was thinking about selling my Modelcraft (old Frog, of course) MR.3, but after your impressive effort, I may just hold on to it and get back to the sanding (my plan is to sand everything off - rivets, panel lines, everything - for me it's just easier that way).

Regards,

Jason

Jason,

Thanks, I understand wanting to sand all the rivets off but if you look at close ups or the actual aircraft there are visible rivets all over it and panel lines are definitel "raised". If you look at the extreme nose in particular the canon blanking panels are very pronounced. The thing must have been very "draggy" indeed when in flight.

I been thinking about weathering etc as the actual airframe is in a bit of a state especially inside the flaps being sat over dewey grass is about the worst position for it, corrosion is a nightmare. I'm doing mine as it was when first obtained by the museum from the RAF. I was at Scampton when 1066 Flt did up the Hastings before they delivered it to the Newark Air Museum flying it into Winthorpe. She looked spanking the day she left for Newark, sadly it wasn't long before the engines were siezed up and filigree was all over her. I'm not a fan of storing museum aircraft outside but sometimes there are no other options!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Lots more work done on those outboard nacelles, they're driving me crazy. Trying to sand inside them and make a concave shape an then mount the engine front ends was very tricky.

Shack%2072.jpg

As you can see I've started work on the doors, cut out of a 1/48 scale Syraider drop tank.

Shack%20%2073.jpg

Shack%20%2074.jpg

I'm getting there slowly but still some work to do to mount the door actuator rails, they onto the wings.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 7

It really does look fabulous, the nacelle work really makes the difference.

Very nice

I would even build another Froglet (or its siblings) after seeing yours but for now I think I will wait for the new boys to come on the block

• Like 1

With these old riveted kits, three coats of brush painted contempory enamel made them spot on. Panel lines are rarely recessed unless it opens. Raised detail is more accurate. The model trend of rescribing or moulding strong panel lines that are clearly seen is just plain wrong and never looks like a photo of the real thing.

When the FROG Shackleton came out it was called a masterpiece. The only problem I've had on the four I've made was a short prop blade on one of the inner discs.

Edited by garryrussell
  • Like 2

I agree with most of what you say Garry. I did not rub the rivets off my model completely as some builders of this kit have done in the past as the rivets are definitley there on the real thing even if you stand back a scale distance to look at the airframe they are still obvious on the Shack. I'm hoping that Airfix (who were the undisputed kings of the rivet when I was a kid) don't go and scribe trenchlines into their new MR.Mk.2. They will just not look right and sadly if you scaled up some of these so called recessed panel lines there would be an inch gap between panels on the real aircraft (not very aerodynamic!).

Oh and by the way folks, I thought I was being clever using Halfords Appliance White on the upper fuselage, well when I had masked it off and sprayed some more primer on the lower fuselage, where there was appliance white overspray it crazed! Aaaarggh, I haven't had that happen for years. After a lot of very careful rubbing down and a coat of Tamiya acrylis DSG the problem was solved (luckely).

I have done alot of work on the model today and have taken some nice photos but sadly Photobucket is playing up and won't let me upload them at the moment. I will post them as soon as it sorts itself out.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Radar
  • Like 1

Hi Ya Ray,

Great to hear from you again mate. Yes yes I know it was supposed to be a quick build but as usual I get my head into an AEW aircraft and I go a bit loopy (as you well know with the Wedgetail). It was crying out for the Phase 3 Viper treatment, but I totally agree, I wish to God that Avro had put the jet engines in pods al la Neptune as it would have been a sight easier to model mate.

Looks like Lewis might win your GP in Melbourne in the morning with a bit of luck, its about time a Brit won something in Oz!

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Ya Ray,

Great to hear from you again mate. Yes yes I know it was supposed to be a quick build but as usual I get my head into an AEW aircraft and I go a bit loopy (as you well know with the Wedgetail). It was crying out for the Phase 3 Viper treatment, but I totally agree, I wish to God that Avro had put the jet engines in pods al la Neptune as it would have been a sight easier to model mate.

Looks like Lewis might win your GP in Melbourne in the morning with a bit of luck, its about time a Brit won something in Oz!

Cheers

Ian

Yes, let's not mention the cricket :D :D :D

After trying to upload build pictures onto Photobucket for 24hours after it states that I have only used 20% of my capacity I am trying Flickr and not having much success on getting Britmodeller to recognise the link's. Does anyone have a quickguide how to get a photo off a Flikr Album recognised by this site please?

Cheers

Ian

Simples

highlight the target picture in Flickr

When you have there are some icons to the right of the picture just at the base line of the picture

The icon you want is the curvy arrow which is the 'share' one

Click that icon and it will bring up a small highlighted panel with a link in a box, blued over

Right click the highlight and go to your text screen here and put your cursor where you want a picture and use CtrlV

bobs yer uncle

Here's a quick demo shot from one of my own builds

controlV

15765671310_44ea71cffb_t.jpg

A little practise makes this easier

Its much harder to fill the account when you have a gig of picture capacity

I rarely use PB any more

I usually tidy up the picture by deleting the text for the links after I post, once they are made they dont need untidy urls all over the place

Just done that here

Edited by perdu

I would recommend using Facebook in lieu of the others, if I may.

I now keep a private albums of my models on FB because of the unlimited space and lack of ads as you upload. I credit Procopius with the idea, where I heard it from.

Well I'm sorry Perdu that didn't work either , I hilighted the picture in Flickr - clicked on the icon of the box with the curved arrow coming out of it - then I tried copying the URL that appeared in the "Grab the link box" after manually hi-lighting it - copied the link and pasted it straight into the text box in the reply box on Britmodeller - didn't work.

So tried the same again but this time pasted the copied link into a "picture URL" box opened from one of the selected from the icons on the Reply to this topic box on Brit modeller and the above was the result. No the picture itself but a hot link to the picture on Flickr - I think you must have missed somthing out on the instructions mate.

Modelglue - I'll have a look at Facebook but I'm not that familiar with the programme - any simple guide tips how to load up the photos in FB and display them on here please - how can such a simple operation (on Photbucket) be so difficult to do on other programmes?

Help

Ian

Finally managed to get some progress pictures uploaded to Photobucket

IMG_2331.jpg

Using thin plastic card strips (and copying off some photech instruction sheet) I have detailed the flap bays and done the same in the undercarriage bays.

IMG_2337.jpg

Including adding some detail on the inside of the U/C doors.

IMG_2335.jpg

Sprayed the jet engine intakes red as the Newark Shack intakes appear to be.

IMG_2338.jpg

The tail surfaces are now in place and the fuselage has been given a coat of Mr Hobby DSG. Next job is to put the wings together, add the control surfaces and some leading edge spoiler plates and aerials before doing some work on the tip tanks.

Thanks for looking

Ian

Edited by Radar
  • Like 6