Jaguar T2

JonnySirm

I'm only recalling what I saw when in the mob, bearing in mind I was never on a Jag squadron but saw them often enough on detatchment etc. I've def seen them with dummy thousand pounders and the CBLS with 4lb smoke bombs, can't recall ever seeing them with overwing winders, but then I never saw a single seater with them either. Of course they carried drops on the wings. I think one or two of the guys here flew Jags, they might be more help if they see this.

T2's never carried over wing sidewinder rails,usually as a training aircraft they'd only carry Ceeblie practice bomb carriers,it was also very rare that you'd see them armed with drill 1000lb'ERS or BL755 & even rarer with live bombs..

They were mainly used for pilot flying training at squadron level & by the time the pilots had got onto dropping bombs & stuff,they'd be doing that from a single seat jet.

The GR3/T4 and overwing winder fit was after my time so I don't have any better info on that than the next man - but I've never seen a photo of the T-bird with overwing sidewinders.

As far as I know the T-bird was never used operationally - and the question actually would be why would it be used? The RAF T-bird did not have air to air refuelling - which has pretty much been essential in post gulf conflict - and it didn't have the LRMTS and it didn't have the RWR. Less importantly it only had one Aden cannon.

Other than that the T-bird could pretty much carry most conventional stores so it could carry and drop concrete and live 1000lbers - but again why would you? I bet it was done on the odd occasion but not routinely. You trained routinely with CBLS and practice bombs and drops of live or even concrete 1000lbers were sufficiently rare that they tended to be done for maximum training benefit - meaning representative operational formations - eg single seaters. :)

T2As were upgraded with the capability to carry the TIALD laser designator pod and redesignated Jaguar GR1B or T2B respectively.[52] TIALD equipped Jaguar GR1Bs were deployed to Italy in August to take part in Operation Deliberate Force against Bosnian Serb forces, being used to designate targets for RAF Harriers.[80] During the Bosnian operations, a Jaguar of 41 Squadron carried out the first RAF bombing raid in Europe since the end of the Second World War fifty years before.[81]

So is any of the above true?

T2As were upgraded with the capability to carry the TIALD laser designator pod and redesignated Jaguar GR1B or T2B respectively.[52] TIALD equipped Jaguar GR1Bs were deployed to Italy in August to take part in Operation Deliberate Force against Bosnian Serb forces, being used to designate targets for RAF Harriers.[80] During the Bosnian operations, a Jaguar of 41 Squadron carried out the first RAF bombing raid in Europe since the end of the Second World War fifty years before.[81]

So is any of the above true?

Yes

More seriously though, the T2/T4 lack of defensive suite and IFR limited what you could do with them, not only once in theatre but getting them there in the first place. When we deployed to Bardufoss in Norway, the T2 would stage through a southern base to refuel, whilst the single seaters refueled en-route.

If the big one had ever kicked off, they would have probably been used, but so would just about anything..........

The T-Bird wing was slightly different, no HF antenna in the stbd L/E for a start and they were never configured for carrying overwing pylons. A T wing could be fitted to a GR but would have constrained the GR operationally.

• Like 1

The T-Bird wing was slightly different, no HF antenna in the stbd L/E for a start and they were never configured for carrying overwing pylons. A T wing could be fitted to a GR but would have constrained the GR operationally.

There were at least two T birds with GR wings though.............

• Like 1