Hurricane with radial engine. HB 1/72

spiton

Sorry about the canopy, Spiton, but that is an amazing build overall. Your modifications are very believable and the result is so realistic.

It's sort of a reverse P-36 to P-40 evolution, with a radial replacing an inline rather than the other way around.

Just a great idea for a build, and great skill displayed in bringing it to life.

Not really. The Centaurus powered Tempest and Sea Fury were very successful.

Cam was dubious about radial engines, and the early installtions in the Tornado prototype were not perticularly successful,

the initial version

5625L.jpg

the later smoothed off version

5624L.jpg

The big change came with seeing the way the Fw190 routed the exhaust pipes between cylinders, allowing a much more compact installation.

How about this for a back story.

The problems with both Vulture and Sabre cancel the Typhoon/Tornado, but a successful installation of the Hercules allows for further Hurricane development, going to to fulfil the role played in real life by the Typhoon, and it is realised from US experience with the P-47 that radial engines are much less vulnerable to ground fire, so the Hurricane VIII with cutdown spine and clear view hood become the standard RAF fighter bomber, both in Europe and in SEAC, as well as being supplied to the Australians.

You could even postulate it's an a licence built Australian version, the mk XXI, in the way the Beaufighter was.

Model looks good in the Australian colours as well.

cheers

T

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present the psudo Typhoon c:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present the psudo Typhoon c:

all Hawker designs evolve from earlier ones, it's often forgotten that the Typhoon/Tornado designs were being drawn up in 1937, before the Hurricane had entered RAF service!

This is why they had such thick wings, as the data Camm was given on wing thickness not affecting drag was incorrect, that under 20% of chord would not make a difference, IIRC, the Hurricane wing is thickness of 19% of chord . Mitchell was dubious, and made the Spitfire wing as thin as possible, 12% of chord.

The initial layout of the Tornado looks like a Hurricane on steroids!

tornado.jpg

The ventral radiator both caused buffeting, and was then moved under the nose.

Fascinating model, amazing how un-Hurricane it now looks. Great work.

cheers

T

• Like 2

These prototype are very interesting. But base to make something like that should be Typhoon kit. But this is not problem. Hobby Bose have Typhoon in his ofert.

HI

yes, a Typhoon is a much better starting point, I was trying to show how Hawker designs evolve, and have common family features.

There are threads on the Tornado and Tempest and Fury prototypes here, I'll edit in some links later.

That's a great project and finish and I quite like how you handled the cut down spine and bubble canopy.

I did a similar project a few years ago. While I kept the inline engine, I re-imagined the rear fuselage to have the fabric on frame replaced with plywood and a bubble canopy fitted:

2009_0425bubblecane0007.jpg

The canopy was for a Tempest and modified from an aftermarket vac formed part.

• Like 2

I was not happy with the current effect. I had to change something.I changed propeller, because was too large and was not spinning .Made dust filter. And equipped Hurri with additional fuel tanks. You know. Pacyfik. Long range was needed. And repaint tail.Was too dirty.

01b606b31f2baac1.jpg

cec572a2cfbb0246.jpg

Edited by spiton
  • Like 5

Already I'm imagining an inline FW190 or a radial P-51. I like these 'freaky' concepts, Spiton. Yours is very well done!

which is what a Fw190D is! It has an annular radiator, but an inline engine.

A couple of other real example of inline to radial are the LaGG-3 to La-5 and the Ki-61 to Ki-100, both being better performers than the inline predecessors.

The Hawker Tempest had both radial (mk II) and inline variants, Mk V and VI.

A few other aircraft that had both inline and radial engines are Ju-88, Lancaster, Halifax and Beaufighter.

Finally, one I only read about recently, the 'Argentine Mosquito'

It wasn't actually a Mosquito variant, but was undoubtedly inspired by one....

I.Ae._24_Calquin.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I.Ae._24_Calquin

With the 3 blade prop the radial Hurricane now quite resembles the Ki-100!

ki100-1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...