ACADEMY KING TIGER 1/35

Wolfpack

Right. Stand by your beds. I'm here.!

I had a major stash sort the other day and have decided to ditch the StuG in favour of this purchase from Telford 2013.

1_zpss7paenp5.jpg

After all, you can never have too many Tigers.!

Right. Obligatory sprue shots..........

3_zpsamw1rvbb.jpg

4_zpsnkehlaif.jpg

2_zpsnl6ucskq.jpg

5_zps6bfwwgme.jpg

Two sets of stickers too....! I like the look of the link and length tracks and the intriguing spotty camo scheme. The only extra is a metal barrel, a must for AFV lits of all shapes and sizes.

I hope to start in about a week, I have a figure to finish first and she's not co-operating.

W

• Like 2

A start has been made. Not much but I hope to get the other side's torsion bars done tonight.

DSCF0157_zps8wgzxw0d.jpg

I have a question. Why do kit manufactures spend all that time and effort to provide details of the torsion bars when they don't supply any other interior bits? Surely they could make the kit a fiver cheaper by just having mounting holes on the hull side?

Exasperatedly

W

• Like 3

Insanity time over.

DSCF0163_zpsp6xc6oks.jpg

The biggest drawback of this 'idea' of Academy's, is the total and utter lack of any pattern to cut the decal sheet to. Small pieces and guesswork were the only way. It's also a good job that the decals were made by Cartograf and their decals just surrender abjectly to Daco's death solution.

Also, the road wheels are finished on one side. Three pieces for each wheel, almost as bad as the Meng Char 2C. Anyone building this kit should be aware that the instructions have the wrong sequence of wheels for the left side.

DSCF0162_zpsqybmmwrg.jpg

More wheels tonight methinks.

W

Edited by Wolfpack
  • Like 5

helmet covers weren't made in pea pattern camo.

Ha.! Now he tells me.

This kit is boxed as a 'Last Production' Tiger Ausf B. So, checking the Tiger builders bible, problem number one arises. The last production vehicles had the bolts on the drive sprocket positioned between the teeth. the kit ones are in line. I went a**l here, cut the bolt heads off, sanded the sprocket and re-positioned the carefully saved minute bits.

Spares are easy to come by as the same bolts are repeated on the inside of the sprocket, so spares can be removed as their omission won't be seen.

The sprocket on the left is the modified one.

DSCF0164_zpsjrpt2sjs.jpg

Of course, once you start down this road..................... :mental:

W

Edited by Wolfpack
  • Like 4