Airfix 1/48 Spitfire MK 1a

Schweinebacke

I believe that the previous kit was an adaptation of a kit that is over thirty years old and simply isn't up to the latest standards. The new kit is an adaptation of the excellent Mk.Vb which was released last year.

Although the previous kit may well have still been saleable to the general market, the new one will be a hit with the enthusiast market as well. I don't think that the new one will have been very expensive to produce either, considering that most of the work had been done for the Vb.

• Like 1

Hello:

Can somebody explain to me why Airfix is releasing a new Spitfire MK 1a in 1/48 when they did so a couple of years ago?

Thanks

Thomas

because the old one, is well, crude. To make a decent model requires A LOT of sanding and some spare parts. Look up 'defnitve Spitfire mk I thread.

EDIT see here - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/59537-the-definitive-spitfire-mk1-thread/

The Older Spitfire is not a couple of years old, more like 2005, from the era when Airfix was being run too much by bean counters, and producing mediocre kits.

If you read the link, you can see it's possible to make a decent model, but with load of work. Also the only other Mk I kit, the Tamiya Mk I is also flawed, and requires a load of work to make an accurate model as well.

The new mk I is based on the new VB, and so only requires a new sprue for wings and props etc. and the new VB is VERY accurate shape wise.

Finally, Airfix are doing a new 1/48th Hurricane I, and a new Spitfire I to go with with the 75th BoB anniversary is sound idea.
The only place in town that sells kits is a toyshop with a few starter kits, and I think a lot of these will be sold to the casual buyer, in places like these, and the older Mk I would not be a good advert for the new Airfix, who still have in the UK one of the great brand names, where 'Airfix kit' is synonymous with plastic kit in the way Hoover is with a vaccum.
  • Like 2

Because the Mk I Spitfire is seen as the universal symbol for lone Britain standing fast against the Austrian corporal, Airfix have realised that it behoves a British company to produce the definitive Spitfire model. That's what I think.

So, yes, thank you, Airfix!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 3

Hi, all,

It certainly looks like a "pleading guilty" in view of the relatively recent issue of a Mk. I, which is heavily based on the earlier Mk.IX, that is, a forgettable kit lacking finesse. Having built a couple, I can only agree with those who said that a lot of sanding and a lot of spare parts are needed to produce something reasonable. However, it is a good move and a good way to spread the cost of the new Mk.V molds.

FErnando

• Like 1

Because it is most needed among a new generation of Spitfires. You should rather ask why so many new Bf 109s are produced -- every year -- as there has for years been kits in production far superior to most relating to the Spitfire. Now we have a new generation of Spitfire 1/48 including the Mk.I and V, and the new VIII and IXs from Eduard. I would also count the Airfix PR Mk.XIX among these, and reckon the Airfix Mk.22/24 and Seafires 46/47 as forerunners of this new generation.

As usual a descent Mk.XIV is missing.

• Like 3

The old Mk1 was produced under effectively a different company, with another view of the marketplace and certain budget constraints.

Look at it as something which was inherited by the current organisation, one which was inevitably going to be retired as each member of the Spitfire family got it's turn,

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 1

Can somebody explain to me why Airfix is releasing a new Spitfire MK 1a in 1/48 when they did so a couple of years ago?

Because this year marks the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, so, together with a 1/48 Mk.I Hurricane, Hornby will have, moulded to their latest standard, the two icons of the Battle in their Airfix catalogue, ready to fulfil the wishes of those who want to mark it.

Perhaps I can point out that it's slightly more than a "couple of years," since it's listed in my 2008 Hannant's catalogue.

Edited by Edgar
  • Like 3

The old Mk1 was produced under effectively a different company, with another view of the marketplace and certain budget constraints.

Look at it as something which was inherited by the current organisation, one which was inevitably going to be retired as each member of the Spitfire family got it's turn,

Cheers,

Bill.

It was simply substandard, and belonged to a family that began to appear in the late 1970s (if my memory does not fail me), the father of all of these was the old Mk.Vb, with all the problems as to the positioning of the nose, and very crudly executed -- even in those days (when compared to Hasegawa and Tamiya of that time). But of course it was Airfix which made many reviewers blind.

• Like 1

Because it is most needed among a new generation of Spitfires. You should rather ask why so many new Bf 109s are produced -- every year -- as there has for years been kits in production far superior to most relating to the Spitfire. Now we have a new generation of Spitfire 1/48 including the Mk.I and V, and the new VIII and IXs from Eduard. I would also count the Airfix PR Mk.XIX among these, and reckon the Airfix Mk.22/24 and Seafires 46/47 as forerunners of this new generation.

Don't forget Airfix's Seafire 17.

Unfortunately they didn't want to do the same with Spitfire Mk.I in 1/72 scale. And we really need a new Mk.I in smaller scale...as well as Mark Five.

You obviously missed the new Airfix 1/72 Spitfire released recently!

Selwyn