Hawker Hunter STGB II Chat

What is the green colour in the tub called - I use either Humbrol or Mr Color - any direction appreciated! Also the metal colour on the undersides....Academy say mix a silver and white, Xtradecal say Aluminium....any answers/advice apprecated...again I use Mr Color normally...

Will this do the job?

MC218.jpg

Interior - which one?! TBH none of the walkaround pics show any gren?

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/hunter/walkaround.php

No green in the Hunter 'pit Tim. Black as a coal mine.

As for the undersurfaces; depends how long ago the silver was painted on. The older it got the duller and greyer it got through natural weathering.

• Like 1

No green in the Hunter 'pit Tim. Black as a coal mine.

As for the undersurfaces; depends how long ago the silver was painted on. The older it got the duller and greyer it got through natural weathering.

Thanks - that's easy - there's green on the Aires Tub pics hence the Q !

Will go with the aluminium and weather it down me thinks...

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 1

Blooming heck this has come around quick! Just need to finish the Wessex in the Helicopter GB, must get me finger out. Still it solves what to build next, we'll sort of, do I build Revells 1/72 F6 or FGA9 or do I do the 1/48 PR10......

• Like 1

Sorry guys, I'm going to have to bail on this GB, I'm in two at present. However, I'll opo in and have a look see.

Colin

Sorry to hear that Colin :(

Blooming heck this has come around quick! Just need to finish the Wessex in the Helicopter GB, must get me finger out. Still it solves what to build next, we'll sort of, do I build Revells 1/72 F6 or FGA9 or do I do the 1/48 PR10......

Any of those sound good but the FR.10 is certainly a less common option if you do choose to go with that one.

• Like 1

Tomorrow, I will start with my Hunter F.6. A totally new project for me - I'm trying to finish it in 24 hours. Well, as I'm home alone right now, I need a few breaks to feed the cats, eat something and such things. So, maybe it will be split in in 2x12 hours. or 3x8. We'll see...

Alex

• Like 1

I am tempted to sign on.....too as I have been putting off my big hunter for some time now.............decisions decisions..........will firm up in a few days..................

happy building folks

rgds

• Like 1

Thanks - that's easy - there's green on the Aires Tub pics hence the Q !

Will go with the aluminium and weather it down me thinks...

Looking at other Modeldecal sheets, says the main DG and DSG were gloss up until 1971, so will look at a satin finish I spose.

• Like 1

Looking at other Modeldecal sheets, says the main DG and DSG were gloss up until 1971, so will look at a satin finish I spose.

A satin finish will look right in 72nd scale. After '71 the hunters seemed to go first matt then progressively more dull and weathered.

Only just found this STGB earlier today, somewhat amazed I missed it, any chance I can join in?

Of course. Come on in and join the fun :)

I'm not going to even start this one - I have signed up for a stupid amount of GBs this year, and it's not looking like I'll finish any of them, so no point starting another one. :/ Have fun everyone who's entered, and I'll keep an eye on the Gallery.

Evening Peeps. I've made a start today on my Academy Hunter for the GB. It will be mostly OOB with an Aries cockpit, but looking at the undercart I feel that needs improving too. Has anyone used the SAC undercarriage set? Is it any good (I have heard it's a white metal copy of the kit parts but I don't know how true this is). Any pointers would be much appreciated.

T.I.A......

Evening Peeps. I've made a start today on my Academy Hunter for the GB. It will be mostly OOB with an Aries cockpit, but looking at the undercart I feel that needs improving too. Has anyone used the SAC undercarriage set? Is it any good (I have heard it's a white metal copy of the kit parts but I don't know how true this is). Any pointers would be much appreciated.

T.I.A......

SAC products are indeed a copy of the kit parts with any flaws or lack of detail transferred into a different material. I'm sure there are more accurate resin wheels available but can't recall off-hand who makes them.

Getting to the point where I have to paint up the various little aerial bits on my 1/72 fr10, which bits from the kit will i need and what colours? Instructions are a bit vague for even for the fga9 and I can't find any pics, searching hawker hunter + plus the serial gets me picture of watches

Getting to the point where I have to paint up the various little aerial bits on my 1/72 fr10, which bits from the kit will i need and what colours? Instructions are a bit vague for even for the fga9 and I can't find any pics, searching hawker hunter + plus the serial gets me picture of watches

General rule of thumb is white or black but tell me the serial and I'll check my references.

xj633

Black for the two aerials in front and behind the cockpit. Mix a little silver in to give a slight metallic sheen for the one just behind the canopy in particular. Here's one good photo;

http://scaleaircraftmodeller.tumblr.com/

plus a few more in this selection;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=xj633+hunter&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiXk8z925vMAhVHBsAKHd5vDvcQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1#imgrc=_

XJ633 started life as an F.6 before being converted to FR.10 specification late in 1959 and delivered to 2 squadron then 4 squadron before being converted to an FR.74B for Singapore in 1973

Mines a 1/49 Col - satin or gloss finish (60s)?

I'd go with a satin finish Tim. Full gloss looks a bit too shiny and toy-like in my opinion ;)

Does anybody have a simple solution for simulating the air intake trunking in the wing root of the Revell 1/72 kit? I'm not into full on scratch building but something would be better than an open wing I guess.

Duncan B

Does anybody have a simple solution for simulating the air intake trunking in the wing root of the Revell 1/72 kit? I'm not into full on scratch building but something would be better than an open wing I guess.

Duncan B

Yes :) I'll bring a pair of vac-formed intake trunkings with me to the AMS meeting. Unless you are up this way sooner?

• Like 1

Yes :) I'll bring a pair of vac-formed intake trunkings with me to the AMS meeting. Unless you are up this way sooner?

Tuesday's fine, gives me time to do some work on the Phantoms. Cheers min

DB

• Like 1

Hi

I am just printing my decals for XL618 but cannot seem to find the nose number. Ive looked on Airliners and Air Britain but no pictures of her in service. There is one pic of her in camo with a 05 on the fin but clearly not 4FTS. Its probably an 8x but Id rather ask than guess and get corrected later.

Thanks

Colin