Hawker Hunter STGB II Chat

Can you count me in for this group build? I've never had much look completing a Hunter kit, the closest I got was an almost finished,apart from a few stencils, Novo kit. I left it in the kitchen on top of the oven while I was clearing a space on the worktop. It accidentally got burned to a crisp when my wife turned the hob on rather than the oven. I wouldn't mind but it was the first time she's ever decided to do the cooking, shame it was my poor Hunter that got toasted.

• Like 1

Right, I've gone and done it. Bought that 1/32 Revell Hunter from my LMS (well toyshop, with a small model kit selection).

Opened the box and it scares me!! never built anything this big.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to join this one as my first GB....

Together with the Vulcan, the Hunter is top of my favourite list and would love to take this opportunity to do her justice.

I intend to build a Hunter FGA9 in the Rhodesian Air Force scheme, either 1/32 or 1/48 as I have both in my stash, screaming out to be built.

• Like 1

I intend to build a Hunter FGA9 in the Rhodesian Air Force scheme, either 1/32 or 1/48 as I have both in my stash, screaming out to be built.

Cool :) Which scheme and markings were you planning to do?

• Like 1

Cool :) Which scheme and markings were you planning to do?

Hi Col,

I intend to do as a first choice the green,grey camo scheme including the 'playboy bunny' that was painted on for a publicity stunt back in '72...

Hunter%20pbb_72_zpsfplidfyd.jpg

or as an alternative, the brown/ green camo from '71 .....

Hunter%20bg_71_zpsh2xiztxm.jpg

I am still favouring the first choice but will see nearer the time as a lot can change between now and April .... especially for a Libran :winkgrin:

The later versions of the brown/green camo carried no insignia only the stencil data, a little bland, but is on my list for a future build.

Well I have a Revell one in the stash, will it last long enough without being build for the GB?

At least the 32nd scale ones are back in the shops if you do and, who knows, perhaps the 72nd scale ones will be back out by then ;)

Hi Col,

I intend to do as a first choice the green,grey camo scheme including the 'playboy bunny' that was painted on for a publicity stunt back in '72...

Hunter%20pbb_72_zpsfplidfyd.jpg

or as an alternative, the brown/ green camo from '71 .....

Hunter%20bg_71_zpsh2xiztxm.jpg

I am still favouring the first choice but will see nearer the time as a lot can change between now and April .... especially for a Libran :winkgrin:

The later versions of the brown/green camo carried no insignia only the stencil data, a little bland, but is on my list for a future build.

Your first choice is a cracker :thumbsup: I may be able to help with the nose insignia in 48th or 32nd if you don't already have some.

• Like 1

Am I to late to join...

Andy

No not at all Andy. The fun kicks off from 9th April 2016 'til 10th July 2016 so plenty time to stock up on kits and decals :D

At least the 32nd scale ones are back in the shops if you do and, who knows, perhaps the 72nd scale ones will be back out by then ;)

Your first choice is a cracker :thumbsup: I may be able to help with the nose insignia in 48th or 32nd if you don't already have some.

Thanks for your kind offer Col. I do have a set, but if I remember correctly the right side nose insignia decal is wrong (i.e. the lion is facing rearwards not forwards as it should be). Let me get digging in my decal stash and will get back to you. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind offer Col. I do have a set, but if I remember correctly the right side nose insignia decal is wrong (i.e. the lion is facing rearwards not forwards as it should be). Let me get digging in my decal stash and will get back to you. :thumbsup:

Hmm now you say that I'm not sure if all my lions are facing the same way :hmmm:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Am I not allowed to join this one? :weep::winkgrin: (see post #50).

Alas Henrik hasn't been on here since 22 March, hopefully he is alright, either way the STGB will go ahead with me as co-host until such time as he hopefully is able to join us again and you are more than welcome to come out and play with us Hunter fans :thumbsup:

Good on ya Col. I have toenter this as it was the Hunter that got me into the glorious world of all things aviation.

Also if Henrik is looking in occasionally, I for one wish him well and hope he's in good fettle.

BTW - Are there people who are not Hunter fans?? :confused:

• Like 1

Guess there must be one or two in the world somewhere. Weirdos.

Reminds me of one build night where there was the usual hum of chat and banter, and one of our junior members (aged twelve) announced to all and sundry that he really didn't like Hawker Hunters.

Well, you could have heard a pin drop, as everyone first looked at him, and then (knowing my fondness for the Hunter) at me. Needless to say, he likes them now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for co-hosting this Col., it is much appreciated! I'm going to do an Indian Air Force Thunderbolts Hunter, I saw one at Telford in November and it looked fantastic.

I may just crack one out of the stash as I now have three and consider a practice run...

Cheers all,

Viv

• Like 1

The Gods favour me!

Just scrounged the Italeri Hunter decal sheet so I've the stencils and national insignia for my Singaporean T-Bird. The tiny 141 Sqn badge is on Xtradecal 72214 just the 140 Sqn badge for the fin to go.

Good article in the IPMS (UK) magazine 3/1989 with exactly the scheme I want to make but without the shark mouth (unless I can think of an easy way to do it) and the 6/1987 issue has an excellent in depth article (7 pages) including notes on 72nd scale kits.

Being on short time has it's benefits!

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Thanks for co-hosting this Col., it is much appreciated! I'm going to do an Indian Air Force Thunderbolts Hunter, I saw one at Telford in November and it looked fantastic.

I may just crack one out of the stash as I now have three and consider a practice run...

Cheers all,

Viv

No problem Viv. The Hunter is second in my All Time Favourite Aircraft list so it's a pleasure.

If it's the Revell 72nd scale kit you are using they go together well with only a couple areas to watch out on. The wing dog-tooth and tip parts benefit from plenty test fitting as does the under-fuselage gun trough and nose wheel bay part. Otherwise I can't think of any issues with it.

• Like 1

The Gods favour me!

Just scrounged the Italeri Hunter decal sheet so I've the stencils and national insignia for my Singaporean T-Bird. The tiny 141 Sqn badge is on Xtradecal 72214 just the 140 Sqn badge for the fin to go.

Good article in the IPMS (UK) magazine 3/1989 with exactly the scheme I want to make but without the shark mouth (unless I can think of an easy way to do it) and the 6/1987 issue has an excellent in depth article (7 pages) including notes on 72nd scale kits.

Being on short time has it's benefits!

Change of Plan. Miliverse are preparing a decal sheet which, judging by their others will be superb, BUT it won't be around until next year. So this one goes on hold hopefully the proposed Commonwealth GB gets the nod so I'll build it then.

So I need to get another 48th Hunter and start looking for something different...

Sounds interesting SS. I see Academy are releasing their Hunter kit again so hopefully they'll be easier to find soon.

The Gods really are with me on this one. I've found a kit and decided on a T.8M also found THIS THREAD which covers the Academy errors rather well. 899 Sqn and I've found a photo with a Sidewinder acquisition round on the port outer pylon. Any ideas what would be on the starboard side anybody?

• Like 1