Hawker Hunter STGB II Chat

No problem Viv. The Hunter is second in my All Time Favourite Aircraft list so it's a pleasure.

If it's the Revell 72nd scale kit you are using they go together well with only a couple areas to watch out on. The wing dog-tooth and tip parts benefit from plenty test fitting as does the under-fuselage gun trough and nose wheel bay part. Otherwise I can't think of any issues with it.

Its the 32nd scale hunter Col, but Imay hunt down one of the 1/72 ones and pay the bucket loads people want for it as it is a nice little kit!

Cheers

Viv

• Like 1

The Gods really are with me on this one. I've found a kit and decided on a T.8M also found THIS THREAD which covers the Academy errors rather well. 899 Sqn and I've found a photo with a Sidewinder acquisition round on the port outer pylon. Any ideas what would be on the starboard side anybody?

Cool choice. From what I can recall the starboard outer pylon was usually empty.

Its the 32nd scale hunter Col, but Imay hunt down one of the 1/72 ones and pay the bucket loads people want for it as it is a nice little kit!

Cheers

Viv

The 32nd scale one is a nice kit as well. Other than a weak join between the dogtooth extensions and the wing I don't know of any other issues with it.

• Like 2

Unless my build for the Helo GB goes super-slow I'd like to join in for this one as well. Have two 1/72 Revell hunters sitting in the stash with decals for both a Rhodesian and a Zimbabwe AF version. Seems like a good opportunity to make either / both of those.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I've not done a GB for a while so I'll use it as motivation for Aeroclubs T8 on Accademy's F6

Count me in

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

6 days to go 'til this one kicks off. Everyone got kits poised and a clear space on the bench?

Oh, bother.

I'm falling rapidly behind on GBs, can we postpone this one until sometime in 2020?

• Like 1

If truth be told I'm struggling for free time myself so not sure when or even if I'll be able to start one of the far too many Hunter kits of every possible scale that dominate my stash but such is life. Here we are and so it goes. I'm sure there will be plenty of us able to play in the time-scale and those of us who can't can always vote for Hunter STGB III in a year or so ;)

Cor blimey

I got this as 1st April so have already started by cutting the nose off the kit and assembling the intakes.

I've put it back in the box though to build a Classic Airframes Widgon in the meantime. Ho hum

Colin

• Like 1

I plan to make Xtrakit's T.7 for this but will be a little late starting. Time is a wee bit tight at the moment and I want to try and complete my build for the Made in Britain GB - looking forward to starting though.

• Like 1

Oh dear!

Ready? Nope!

Space on the bench? Nope!

Kit? Nope!

Looks like I now have the perfect reason to visit the local model shop at the In-laws tomorrow.

• Like 2

Hmmmm.... Have the Academy F6 - I have heard the seat is 1/72 and needs replacing....any top tips as to what seat to get?

Is that enough - any of you who have seen my builds know they are in flight normally - so a pilot and replacement seat should suffice?

• Like 1

Hmmmm.... Have the Academy F6 - I have heard the seat is 1/72 and needs replacing....any top tips as to what seat to get?

Is that enough - any of you who have seen my builds know they are in flight normally - so a pilot and replacement seat should suffice?

You'll need a new tub as well Tim, the kit part is too shallow to fit an aftermarket seat, unless you do some surgery and make the kit tub deeper, you can get a full resin Aires cockpit from Hannants for less than a tenner:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE4085

There are a few other issues such as shape of tailcone - if you want to go the whole hog Heritage do a brilliant correction set that includes tailcone as well, i've used it and its great, you'll need to get the seat separately though, its great value for money:

http://www.kitsforcash.com/hunter-correction-set-for-academy--italeri-kit----now-back-in-stock-3448-p.asp

I hope that helps.

PS: I have no affiliation with either of the above companies lol

Cheers

Simon

Edited by SimonR
  • Like 2

Tim

and anyone else for that matter

I have lurking in the stash surplus to my requirements in 1/48 scale (not a scale I build in now - heresy I know) the following items which can get posted free to a good home. I think they might be of use in a Hunter build

1 A resin seat that looks suspiciously like a Mk2 Martin Baker product though its not bagged or labelled. had a look on the MB site and it looks like one to me

Also the aeroclub white metal MB Mk3 which might pass at a distance

drop me a pm anyone if you want them/ or one

• Like 1

You'll need a new tub as well Tim, the kit part is too shallow to fit an aftermarket seat, unless you do some surgery and make the kit tub deeper, you can get a full resin Aires cockpit from Hannants for less than a tenner:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE4085

There are a few other issues such as shape of tailcone - if you want to go the whole hog Heritage do a brilliant correction set that includes tailcone as well, i've used it and its great, you'll need to get the seat separately though, its great value for money:

http://www.kitsforcash.com/hunter-correction-set-for-academy--italeri-kit----now-back-in-stock-3448-p.asp

I hope that helps.

PS: I have no affiliation with either of the above companies lol

Cheers

Simon

Cheers Simon - I have ordered said cockpit set by Aires - not sure if I w ill go for the correction kit - will have a think. This will be my first real bash at Resin/PE (a lil bit in the Sword Lightning T5 I did on the STGB) - have some nice decals, with 1 Sqn, 12 Sqn, 63 Sqn, 111 Sqn, 4 FTS but 74 Sqn looks favorite!

X48033.jpg

Tim

and anyone else for that matter

I have lurking in the stash surplus to my requirements in 1/48 scale (not a scale I build in now - heresy I know) the following items which can get posted free to a good home. I think they might be of use in a Hunter build

1 A resin seat that looks suspiciously like a Mk2 Martin Baker product though its not bagged or labelled. had a look on the MB site and it looks like one to me

Also the aeroclub white metal MB Mk3 which might pass at a distance

drop me a pm anyone if you want them/ or one

Thanks for the kind offer - already ordered the Aires set earlier - appreciated!

• Like 1

Aires tub should slot in pretty easily I think Tim!

Good choice of Tiger Squadron colours, I may do an F4 in those markings, not sure yet. Already done a 63, that was my dads last Hunter squadron at Chivenor before he left the RAF so have a soft spot for those markings!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

What is the green colour in the tub called - I use either Humbrol or Mr Color - any direction appreciated! Also the metal colour on the undersides....Academy say mix a silver and white, Xtradecal say Aluminium....any answers/advice apprecated...again I use Mr Color normally...

Will this do the job?

MC218.jpg

Interior - which one?! TBH none of the walkaround pics show any gren?

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/hunter/walkaround.php

mr-color-126-cockpit-color-mitsubshi.jpg

51Xh-dICMfL._SY355_.jpg

mr-color-127-cockpit-color-nakajima.jpg

Or Humbrol 78?

Humbrol-Enamel-78-Cockpit-Green-Matt.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff