Hawker Hunter STGB II Chat

I know nothing about Hunters apart from they look really nice. I don't even have a kit so will be on the search for next year.

No Hunter in your stash!?! That needs rectified! :lol:

• Like 2

I know, I know!?!? You'll be glad to know I've been looking.

I'm guessing in 72nd scale? Seen some of the Revell kits on ebay for silly money lately but a couple others at least starting for more sensible sums. Last few I got were from a company called Kit Rescue at the Glasgow model show so worth looking at their website perhaps? Also depends if you want the F.6 kit or the slightly more common FGA.9.

depends if you want the F.6 kit or the slightly more common FGA.9.

I'm lost already... :crosseyed:

Yes to 1/72.

I was keen to do an Omani Hunter (what type and therefore what kit would I need?)

I was also keen on the idea of a two seater trainer in Dayglo :coolio: There was a dutch one I found on a google search, but I'm open to suggestions.

I'm lost already... :crosseyed:

Yes to 1/72.

I was keen to do an Omani Hunter (what type and therefore what kit would I need?)

I was also keen on the idea of a two seater trainer in Dayglo :coolio: There was a dutch one I found on a google search, but I'm open to suggestions.

For a Sultan of Oman's Air Force Hunter you're best getting the FGA.9 kit from Revell. While the 30-odd used came from a few sources all were to this basic standard along with a couple ex-RAF FR.10 birds with the camera nose. There's the early and late colour schemes to choose from as well. The late two-tone grey is covered in Xtradecal sheet 72214 but is only 4 small decals - the shield badge on the fin and arabic number on the rear fuselage. Sure the earlier markings were available in one of the nasty Eastern European kits for a while but can't recall which one and how accurate or usable those decals may be.

Now that lovely Dutch two-seater is a different story again. The R.Neth.AF operated the normal T.7 model but the one you've seen may be an ex-Royal Navy/FRADU T.8 that's operated by the Historic Flight. Either way for a proper Dutch T.7 the Xtrakit T.7 model is the, it pains me to say this, 'easiest' available option for one of those with a bit of work to put right. Freightdog make a correction set to address the main issues. Decals for the Dutch scheme are available from Flevo Decals or you can get a spare set of the national insignia from one of my F.6 kits and add the serial numbers from spares to suit. Either that or take a look at the Xtradecal sheet 72123 for some inspiration ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am another one that finds the Hunter beautiful and has never built a kit of that plane... To make matters worse, I don't even have one in the stash...

But this is the occasion to buy one if nothing else!

So please count me in. Until next year I should be able to find something in 1/72.

JR

1. hgbn Host

John T

SleeperService

Graham77

Col. co-host

charlie_c67

Hockeyboy76

Tomoshenko

heloman1

ForestFan

Mozzy19

Roland Pulfrew

Andrew

milktrip

Mish

Kallsti

Doug Rogers

somtec

nimrod54

Jean

(ex)Sgtrafman

BlackAck

Edited by hgbn

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in with a Revell 1/144 FGA.9 with added etch and resin. Love the Hunters shape. I might try to get hold of an airfix 1/72 also, need to revisit that kit. It defeated me as a kid (I was about 7 mind).

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Right, date added to the calendar and T7 kit ordered ready to start in a tad over 12 months time. Mind you, I could always work at my usual pace and start it now, it would still be less than 25% complete by the time we reached the start date. :lol:

• Like 1

what's the Revell 1/32 kit like to build? I like to stick with 1/72 but my LMS (well its a toymaster and they have a small section of kits) has the Revell 1/32 kit and I'm quite tempted by it.

what's the Revell 1/32 kit like to build? I like to stick with 1/72 but my LMS (well its a toymaster and they have a small section of kits) has the Revell 1/32 kit and I'm quite tempted by it.

It's a lovely kit Aaron and well worth the money. My only criticism about it is a lack of sidewall detail in the cockpit but you'll handle that no bother.

• Like 1

Casting around for a scheme for my two seater I've come across the Singapore AF. Does anybody know of decals for these in 48th please?

I did have a look around but couldn't find any on Hunter-specific sheets. Perhaps a case of using some from another sheet?

Cheers Col. I've since read a couple of reviews and looked through a WIP. I note that there is a true details cockpit set available.

Going by your earlier post I think I could still build an Omani bird with this kit (although some Swiss schemes have also tickled my fancy :hmmm: )

Think I'll make a purchase next time I'm down the road.

Cheers

Cheers Col. I've since read a couple of reviews and looked through a WIP. I note that there is a true details cockpit set available.

Going by your earlier post I think I could still build an Omani bird with this kit (although some Swiss schemes have also tickled my fancy :hmmm: )

Think I'll make a purchase next time I'm down the road.

Cheers

The True Details resin 'pit is a cracker and also worth the money but be aware it doesn't provide for the canopy hood jettison handle down by the pilot's left knee ;)

Alternative decals are hard to come by for this kit at the moment - think there's a couple sheets with RAF examples and a Chilean FR.71 if you fancy a simple conversion - although I have a couple sheets with potentially more interesting RAF machines on them if you want a look.

• Like 1

sounds good Col. Will you be attending the next club meeting? Hopefully I should be able to; I was still a bit poorly for the last one. If you get a chance to bring them I could take a gander if thats okay?

cheers

I know nothing about Hunters apart from they look really nice. I don't even have a kit so will be on the search for next year.

No Hunter in your stash!?! That needs rectified! :lol:

I just happen to have 2 of John Milne's Academy 1/48 Hunters, I only plan on building one, the F6, so the FGA9 is possibly surplus to requirements.

Anyway, count me in on this one. (I know I said "shoot me" if I ever say I'm joining another GB but it's a Hunter one :shrug: )

Duncan B

• Like 2